Author Topic: After Surgery Report  (Read 7010 times)

Roger64

After Surgery Report
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:37:27 pm »
Well, I've made it to the other side.  ;D But, I did have a few small setbacks. The tumor was on the lower balance nerve and they had to do very little to facial nerve or hearing nerve. So, with any amount of luck that will be a good sign to keep some hearing.

I had to work through some post secondary infections. But, Dr. Payner was right there to get me the through it all.

But, I am totally worn out all the time. How do people build up your stamina again?

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: After Surgery Report
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:05:23 pm »
Congratulations on making it through to the other side!  I found the best way to get my stamina back was to rest A LOT, take short walks and build up very slowly, and listen to my body.  I don't recall how long ago your surgery was, but I think it was a good six months before I really felt like my strength was back.  I was back to everyday life at 6-8 weeks, but still easily fatigued for a while after that.

Take it easy!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:58:36 pm »
Roger -

it's good to hear from you; I've been wondering how your surgery went; sounds pretty positive.

I don't think there is a whole lot you can do about the fatigue except to let it run it's course.  Rest will help, but mostly you just have to have patience and let time do the trick.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:49:09 am »
Roger,
Welcome to postiland. It's been almost 5 mo since my surgery and just 2 wks ago I began to feel that at the end of my work day I wasn't totally exhausted. Get as much rest as you can.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:01:36 pm »
Hi, Roger:

Congratulations on your successful surgery!  Welcome to 'postie-land'.  :D

The post-op fatigue problem is very familiar to just about anyone that has undergone AN surgery.  Between the actual surgery, which takes a lot out of your body, to the lingering after-effects of the anesthesia you were under for many hours, fatigue is pretty much a given.  It simply takes time to 'come back'.  Lots of rest is the primary - and obvious - antidote but beyond that, you'll have to find what works best for you.  Many of us simply pushed ourselves to do whatever we did before (walking, gardening, etc) and some returned to work part-time for awhile.  There is no definite 'map' of how best to regain your strength, except to do the practical, necessary things such as eating nutritious meals, exercising moderately, napping when needed, and so on and 'push' yourself with careful regard to how you feel.  As Socrates supposedly said (and as it is written on the tomb of Apollo in Delphi) 'everything in moderation'

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:30:31 am »
Hi Roger,
Welcome to the other side!  It sounds like you are doing great!. As everyone else rest and patience are the key.  Everyone heals and recovers their strength  in their own time.  When you feel up to it light exercise (walking in enough at first) will help.  Listen to your body -- it will tell you what you need. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:35:36 am »
Congrats Roger!

You might want to spend 5 or more minutes as often as you can during the day with your eyes closed and shut off the "mind chatter".  This helped me in the beginning as the fatigue was overwhelming from all my eyes and balance system were taking in and adjusting to. 

Make sure you are practicing your vestibular rehab exercises to get you on the road to a more comfortably balanced life and oh, one other thing....

Welcome to postie land! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Roger64

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 03:22:21 pm »
Thanks all, I can honestly say these have been one of the most difficult times in my life. My mind tells me I can do something and my body tells me something else.
I’ve started going to physical therapy this week to help keep up my strength and mobility. I am lucky I found a group who has a PT experience with Acoustic Neuroma. His life partner has gone through the surgery and he started working with him to improve balance and motor skills.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

My wife is complete stressed with handling two young children and me and being pregnant. Any idea’s what I can do for her?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 05:31:42 pm »
My wife is complete stressed with handling two young children and me and being pregnant. Any idea’s what I can do for her?

Consider asking family and/or friends to come over and help her out a bit.  Perhaps baby-sitting or straightening up the house.  If feasible, hire a part-time cleaning person.  Try to get a sitter and take her out for a meal at a restaurant.  It doesn't have to be 'fancy'....Friday's or Chili's is fine.  She needs a break and to know that you care about the stress she is under.  Words are nice - and necessary - but actions are even better.  Oh, giving her a hug and telling her you love and appreciate her - just before you 'invite' her out to dinner (just the two of you) - would also be great. :)

Whatever you can do to make things easier would be helpful.; washing dishes, running the vacuum, picking up toys.  You don't have to do big stuff, but try to 'pitch in' when you can.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 06:35:32 am »
Roger,

For your wife a "cleaning service" would be the way to help her out, like Jim suggested.  My hubby had hired one and I gotta tell ya, even though I wasn't pregnant or taking care of two small children, I was fatigued.  I know she must be fatigued and help around the house would be the "lasting bouquet of roses"; although, a "real" bouquet would be nice too!  Words are great, but as I found out, they didn't "stick" with my hubby for too long before he began to feel overwhelmed as the "caregiver". 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 11:43:15 am »
First of all, take care of yourself and take your time.  Your stamina will return at some point.  Second, I think you should ask your wife what would be helpful.  That way, she can choose....
Best
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Denisex2boys

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 01:28:09 pm »
Roger ......  take it from me -- it is a hard journey and I too have young children 8 and 5 - - when you are in the hospital people expect you to do nothing and you do not feel 'guilty' about being in bed and sleeping .... once you get home it is another story -- but BELIEVE me - you need to rest - and more importantly sleep - - I was one of the unfortunate one's who suffered TERRIBLY from post-operative headaches and some of these I know were brought on by trying to prove to people and myself that I was ok - when I really wasn't - simply sweeping the floor would do me in ..... my parents came and stayed for 4-5 days and my hubby was great - - I am 4 weeks post-op and I can HONESTLY say - as most here will - - that I truly did not start feeling really good until this week - - 4-weeks for some reason seems to be the magic number for some of us - - don't get me wrong - I still have issues - I still wake up with the headaches - but no pain pills now - I take Advil every 4-6 hours whether I need it or not, still some numbness issues and all the other stuff - but I LISTEN to my body and when the kids go to bed (which is generally 8 at night) I go to bed too - -

Just this week I ventured out to the kids swimming lessons, hockey - and just attempted to drive again - - it is very frustrating but it will get better - - and even if you feel really good early on - do not overdo it ....

Good luck!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Roger64

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:44:59 pm »
I asked her what I could do for her and she told to just get better. She said I'll be paying her back so to speak when she has the baby. Which of will be a c-section schedule for Jan 21st. Which is scary enough because there has been some wrong with the sack and they may have to take the baby 4 weeks early. I am trying to work as much as I can in PT to get ready to take over the house for her in January. But, I like your ideas on hiring a maid service.

lori67

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 03:34:09 pm »
Roger,

Working hard in PT is always nice to hear, but try not to work so hard that you wear yourself out!  Slow and steady!  You'll be ready when the baby comes and between the two of you, the house will stay in one piece.  It may not be spotless and you may just have to deal with toys on the floor at times, but your family is the priority.  And you will probably find that your children actually have some marketable skills - it's amazing how much the little ones love to help with housework - my little ones are 6 and 2 and they are pros at cleaning windows (at least the ones they can reach).  The 6 year old loves to vacuum and wash dishes and if you make a game out of clean up time, the 2 year old does a pretty good job of getting things picked up.

And I find that chocolate is always a nice appreciation gift from my husband (or anyone else who feels like buying it for me).

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 07:48:41 pm »
Roger -

be careful you don't wear yourself out trying to get better too fast.  Recovery from AN surgery takes time and lots of patience.  I think your wife's idea of you "just getting better" is a very good suggestion and a great goal to shoot for. 

Like Lori said, make your family the priority.  Don't sweat the small stuff - deal with the most important things and let the rest go for a little while.  No one is going to suffer if the house isn't spotless or if dinner isn't "gourmet". 

If you can afford hired help, seriously consider it for things like house cleaning.  Ask for all the help you reasonably can and accept all offers that come your way.  You'll be surprised how many people - friends, family members, neighbors - will be happy to pitch in where you need them.  Don't hesitate to ask others for specific things you need - a meal, a ride, a babysitter.

Chocolate, flowers, and an evening out are all wonderful ideas, too  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways