Author Topic: Would someone be able to help me with a contact name, address, etc?  (Read 3136 times)

Tisha

I'm sending out my MRI's and can't find any information on the internet for Staten Island Hospital.   I have a number that I found 718-226-8862, but they don't know and I was bounced around for 7 phone calls.

Johns Hopkins contact person to send MRI's to and an address was easy to find.  Tumbleweed helped with with Stanford.  But I'm having no luck with Staten Island.  I can find all sorts of old contact addresses and everything with Lederman was there, but nothing now for SI.

If you know, would you please tell me or help me find one?

Thanks

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

sgerrard

Re: Would someone be able to help me with a contact name, address, etc?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:48:12 am »
Here is a link for Staten Island University Hospital:
http://www.siuh.edu/index.html
There is a "Contact Us" link there, with some other phone numbers.

This is a link for the Staten Island radiation oncology department:
http://www.siuh.edu/radoncology/index.html
but it shows the same phone number you have.

Here is a link for Radiosurgery New York at Cabrini, the current location of Dr. Lederman:
http://www.rsny.org/

Here is a link to a past topic on this forum, discussing the reputation of Dr. Lederman, whose practice has been criticized by some:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6391.0

Hope that helps. It is not a given that every facility will accept MRIs by mail and give free evaluations. It is up to individual doctors.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:58:58 am by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tisha

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:50:52 am »
Thanks.  I shot an e-mail off from the first one.  Don't know if it will get to where it needs to be or now.  How frustrating for them to not have something more specific on their website.

I've been going back and forth about Dr. L.    He's not with Cabrini anymore, because I think Cabrini closed it's doors at the beginning of the year, correct?   He seems such a pioneer in this field that I hate note getting his opinion, although I know what it would be.  But all the outside surrounding issues he has had, I wonder if he's really focused on what he should be focusing on (medicine!)   I like the method he uses the best, but I think it's the same one at Johns Hopkins.

Tisha

Tisha

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:42:50 am »
Just an F YI everyone.  I finally contacted someone in Administration in the Radiation Oncology deparment at Stanford.   They said that they no longer accept MRI's to look at and then discuss via phone, that Dr. Lederman used to do that.  Big bummer.

So, if Cabrini has shut it's doors, where is the FSKY that Dr. Lederman works out of then, I wonder.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 11:52:50 am »
For what it is worth, I would forget about SI and focus more on the other places and doctors you have or will contact.  The difficulty you are having with this place might be a "red flag" and time to step back. 

I have had too many moments in my years similar to yours in trying to get information or contact people, etc. and my searching proving to be difficult usually turned out it was difficult for a good reason!  It was a sign to me not to pursue and I now listen to these "moments" and heed them. 

I don't know, this is just my opinoin anyway and may not be what is right for you. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

macintosh

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 12:01:39 pm »
It might be worth mentioning that Dr. Lederman has been involved in a number of controversies, including one involving George Harrison's personal property when he treated Harrison's terminal cancer. You can easily Google that story.

Mac

Tisha

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:29:51 pm »
I did find today that in September 2008, SI had a lawsuit that they had to pay $88 M for some type of insurance fraud, mentioning the radiation oncology department that Lederman oversaw.  Plus, I did read about the George Harrision issue.  It's really too bad because I think, from everything I've read about him, he's a brilliant doctor for these AN's.   So I think...well, that George Harrison thing was 5 years ago, and maybe he's back on track.  But then, what sort of serious focused doctor gets sidetracked with fame and fortune of patients?   On the other hand (smile), is he the best???

Well, for now I think I'll just wait and talk to Johns Hopkins and Stanfords...excellent facilities, also.

Thanks

Tisha

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 04:55:10 pm »
Tisha-
I'm not sure if you are considering GK, but if you are, you may want to contact Univ of Pittsburg.  I believe Dr. Kondziolka there is one of the leading GK guys in the country.  I am sure you can find more info on him if you search this site.  Meanwhile, here is the link the U of P's website:

http://www.acousticneuroma.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/gammaknife.html

Good luck, Tisha. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:29 pm »
Staten Island would not advise me for free or even look at my MRI but instead gave me generic advice that was basically useless (something to the effect of "we don't recommend that people with an AN wait to get treatment.") If I remember correctly, they wouldn't even advise me over the phone for a fee; they insisted I set up an appointment on-site to hear their recommendations.

I agree with Arushi. Forget SI and focus on those doctors and facilities who show interest in your case and your welfare at this early stage of the game. If SI doesn't give a hoot about your case now, before they have your business, how much attention do you think they'll give you once they've got your money?

My two cents...

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:30:25 pm »
P.S. I agree with Debbi that Univ of Pittsburgh is also a good facility to contact. They looked at my MRI and advised me for free. I found their consult to be helpful. Had I chosen GK instead of CK, I probably would've gone there for treatment. They have an outstanding track record with AN treatment.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08