Author Topic: Twitching  (Read 4314 times)

Catflower

Twitching
« on: November 09, 2008, 04:41:08 pm »
It's been nearly 19 months since my surgery to remove a 2.5 cm AN.  Initially my facial nerve was rather impaired in that I could close the right eyelid and the corner of my mouth didn't work.  However, after several weeks it did seem to recover.  Over the past two weeks I've noticed considerable twitching of my right eye and the right side of my mouth.  My eyelid seems to have "drooped" down and my vision in that eye seems to be "off".  Any gueses as to what's happening?  I had my follow up MRI in August and the neurosurgeon said everything is fine.

Linda

Catflower

Re: Twitching
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:41:30 am »
Have you asked you neuro why this might be happening?  I think I'd give him/her a call for sure and run it by him/her, just to be safe and ease your mind. 

Have you been extra stressed or tired lately?

Cheri

I left a message for the neurosurgeon this morning.  I've also noticed deterioration of the vision in my right eye.  I have had a little extra stress over the past couple of weeks.

Linda
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:55:51 am by sgerrard »

Catflower

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:39:28 pm »
The neurosurgeon doesn't think the facial twitching has anything to do with the AN surgery.  He suggested I see my family doctor.  I haven't done that yet. 

Linda

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 05:55:22 pm »
Catflower,

If I understand correctly you said your "facial nerve was rather impaired" and I'd like to say without being clobbered here, what does a neurosurgeon really know about the facial nerve.  Yes he did operate along with a neurologist, so I would be calling him or her. 

I too did consult with a neurosurgeon and he could not understand why I had so much facial pain.  He told me the facial nerve was a motor not a sensory.  The ENT repeated what the neurosurgeon had said.  I was feeling the pain, dealing with headaches, twitches and facial pain so after joining this forum I finally went to see a neurologist and he was able to help me and answered a million questions. 

Hope your questions are answered soon.  My guess is your facial nerve is acting up. 

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:27:29 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 08:13:24 pm »
Linda,
I am certainly no expert, but I agree with Ann Marie -- it does sound like your facial nerve is acting up for some reason and it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post.  If I were you I would definitely see my neurotologist and see what he has to say.  Please let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Catflower

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 10:01:43 am »
I have an appointment with the neurologist on December 9th.  The twitching has settled down with just an occasional twitch on the right side of my mouth throughout the day.  It is also more numb than usual.  I'm also experiencing a different kind of "dizziness".  Not the balance issues from the AN surgery, but a different feeling.

Linda

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 02:55:33 pm »
Linda, what sort of different feeling are you experiencing? 

Cheri

It is like being lightheaded.  The room doesn't spin.  It's different from my usual balance issues.  I've also noticed that when I'm in places where there is a lot of outside stimulation (malls, stores, resturants, etc) it is worse.

Linda

Catflower

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:15:54 pm »
Cheri:  Oh yes, I definitely have "wonky head," but this new feeling is different from that.

Linda