Author Topic: to share some good experiences  (Read 1965 times)

anbr

to share some good experiences
« on: January 24, 2006, 11:07:11 pm »
Hi, am a new member, but an old AN patient.  My surgery was on January 16, 2003 (Dr. Germano, Mt.Sinai Hospital, NYC).  I survived a 13 hour long surgery, and after three weeks of rehabs, I was stupid enough to rush back to work.  I lost hearing in my AN left side, facial paralysis, and of course some balance problems...and to complete the impression, the hardest part was that I lost my job regardless of excellent results at work.  Who needs a disabled math teacher?  It seems - nobody.

Even before the surgery I promissed to myself that I will do everything to improve any possible negative posteffects - and I had many.  So, here are some of my post-AN-interventions:
-  golden plate (0.6 grams) installed in my left eyelid.   Presently I am using 'systane' preservative -  free lubricant eye drops - these drops are the best. 
-  BAHA hearing aid - installed above my left ear  (April 2004-Dr. Chandrasekhar, Sujana). 
-  To improve and correct results of my facial paralysis, I had a reconstructive surgery - my face now looks and I have less problems with my speach.  I did not have a nerve graft because the EMS test revealed that my facial nerve has not ben severed. 

I am aware that my family supports me a lot.  I think what else is very important - it is our ability and will to help to ourselves.  Obviously, we - AN survivors are very special because Acoustic Neuroma is a very rare form of a brain tumor - 1 in 400,000, and my tumor was wrapped around my facial nerve.
Am I depressed?  After a 13 hour brain tumor surgery with all possible negative side effects (95% of the tumor has been removed), the hardest moment was loosing my job, I think that I have all reasonable reasons to be unhappy.  To be honest, I have a hard time dealing with all these antidepressants and/or painkillers.   

Yes, we all have to be strong and happy that we are alive.  I that enough?  Just to be alive?  Ok.  As long as I have some plans for the future, I guess that is a good sign.  I love the saying - take one day at a time...and do your yoga assanas almost every day for 20 minutes.  That helps as well.

Stay positive and strong.   Thank you for your time.

millert

Re: to share some good experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:12:18 pm »
Hey anbr, As long as you have your family supporting you, be thankful. It is unthinkable that you lost your job as a teacher. Depression is part of our recovery from this trauma to our brain.
I had my surgery in Dec. 1998. Took six months for me to recover. Fortunately I had my job to go back to. Sales. However my territory was in shambles when I returned. One day at a time I slowly rebuilt it. Three years later, with my balance being off, headaches two or thrree times a week, and single sided deafness, I was named to a fortune 16 company's President club. Quite an honor, with over 3000 sales reps.
Right side AN, removed Dec. 1998 Jackler;Pitts @UCSF,