Author Topic: does anyone think?  (Read 14517 times)

Kaybo

Re: does anyone think?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 08:27:01 pm »
always looking for a way to make a buck...I'd buy one!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 08:38:40 pm »
Yeah, I bet Lori would too  ;)  :D

Feeling a little wacky tonight, for some reason.  Must be overtired since my left eye (AN side) is feeling dry and is bugging me.

Some of the pleasures of an AN just never entirely leave you  ::)  An AN can be the gift that just keeps giving - even after it's gone  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 10:56:54 am »
We could sell souvinir t-shirts to all our garage post-op patients.   ;D

Jan, better run out and buy some eye drops - I think we've all purchased stock in every company that makes them - so someone should profit from your purchase!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 02:02:23 pm »
The only thing I wondered about is about 21 years before I was diagnosed with an AN, I had a miscarriage.  It was my third one.  I also had fibroid tumors (hmmmm) and I had a hysterectomy.  It has passed through my thoughts to wonder about that, but I doubt, however,  it had anything to do with causing me to have an AN.  I really do believe it's a gene that goes insane.  This is what HEI says:

The exact cause of acoustic neuroma is not currently known. There is ongoing research at House Ear Clinic and other centers to try to determine the genetic defects that occur in the tumor cells. However, no specific environmental agents have been identified which cause the development of acoustic neuroma.

Having said all of this, I do agree that stress can cause and contribute to many things.   Which is why sometimes I want to crawl into bed, assume the fetal position, and turn the electric blanket up to 9!  ( I think The Limlighters (an early Folk group) said that on the recording I have of them.)

Sue in Vancouver WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 08:29:39 pm »

I guess it is not in my nature to analyze things too closely.  I agree that s**t happens.  I can't go looking for a doorstep at which to lay the blame.  My MO is to just keep soldiering on the best I can, giving it up to God when I think I can't take another step.  My faith has definitely been my source of comfort. I have friends and loved ones who just can't be at peace until they have things figured out. Maybe I should be more like that, but right now there are too many variable in the AN situation to make me decide that I think I know the answers!  If someone else figures it out, could they just spell it out in simple terms for the simple folk like me? :D

Mags
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 08:45:23 am »
I have heard a lot of theories on what may cause an AN but this is new to me -- of course, anything is possible.  One thing that keeps comng back to me is that I had a concussion when I was nine years old (got hit by a bike of all things - severe concussion from hitting my head when I fell).  I've certainly considered the possiibility that this was the beginning of my AN since I've read injuries are a possible cause and I have been a klutz most of my life.  I don't really remember when this started.  I had another mild concussiuon when I was in my twenties, also from a fall -- I did say I was a klutz  :).  I have also read they do just seem to occur with no real explanasion -- just the luck of the draw.

Wendy

Jan - I love your idea -- there is a booth in the mall that makes tee shirts you design yourself -- I just may have to have one made!   ;D
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 06:39:28 am »
could be we all relate to stress in different ways, i dont know if we will ever know the answer

Hey anne,

just my 2 cents/pence....... I believe in mind over body. I believe that what may happen with our emotional well-being can be a contributing factor to our physical well-being.  For me, I've learned (for the many medical ailments I have... and trust me, there are many....) that the more I keep negative surrounding me in life, it will have a direct impact on my physical well-being.  Did negative in my life (much has occured for me, just like so many other folks)  cause me to grow my AN (and other lumpy-bumpies I have)? I have no clue. But, if I keep positive around me, I do know that my physical well-being is in better shape.  Good question... wish I had the answer.

Good vibes... good vibes....
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

dasanti

• Dasanti's story - only in Romanian for the moment
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 06:31:56 pm »
Hello! I’m new here :-)

My grandmother died in my arms exactly ten years ago. Then 4 years ago I had a breakup with my fiancée. We were supposed to get married, but I do not think this is the reason. Maybe something to do with my grandmother death. She was like a mother to me. She raised me...

I heard a theory that if you have the tumor on the right side you have lost a female loved one and on the left a male.. Strange huh???
AN 4.5cm @ diag time of MRI (6/Dec/07)
AN + 5cm @ time of surgery (26/Feb/08)
Retrosigmoid in Hanover = Germany, by Prof. Dr.h.c. mult. Madjid Samii/Prof. Dr. Rudolf Fahlbusch
SSD post op - right side.
temp. facial paresis post op - facial nerve & function preserved
7mth MRI Sep/08-no tumor :-

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:45 pm »
Dasanti,

My niece is in college taking medical office support and that's what she told me about my facial neuroma.  Yes this is a very interesting theory isn't it!  I lost my dad who I adored in 1993 and I held his hand as he passed.  My neuroma is on my left side.

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:35:45 pm by sgerrard »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 03:17:51 am »
that is strange as i lost my mother just before my ist boy was born and i had a right sided AN.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 02:33:17 am »
I have to say that sounds a bit silly to me. It's not that I don't believe the mind can do amazing thngs to the body but as others have said...if something like losing a loved one or other stressful event is going to cause a AN why aren't they as common as colds? I'd tend to believe its a combination of DNA and possibly environmental factors or any one of a number of other much more plausible causes before that would be of consideration.

I'm not sure what it matters anyway what the cause is unless its something that can be avoided, ie: environmental factors....we can hardly avoid losing loved ones.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 09:19:32 am »
And of course, this just makes me say "fix it first and assign blame later", my mantra for most things.  Who among us hasn't had stress or lost loved ones?  The only link that concerns me is the genetic link.  I am concerned for my son and keep telling him to ask his doc for an MRI to rule out an AN.  He has hearing loss and tinnitus but he's a rock musician.  He's also 20 and will do as he wishes.....Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.