Author Topic: Dental work and facial paralysis  (Read 4893 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Dental work and facial paralysis
« on: November 08, 2008, 06:08:17 pm »
Hey guys.
I haven't been to the dentist this year...or should I say in the last 15 months post op since I had the paralysis. I don't feel like I need any dental work done other than cleaning but if I do I really don't want any injections in the gums, cheeks, etc for numbing as I have heard horror stories about facial nerve damage from this which would be rare I'm sure but don't want to chance it. If I needed something done......root canal, cavity filled....whatever would the gas that they give you be enough for them to do the work? What other options are there?
Angie

Kaybo

Re: Dental work and facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:44:49 pm »
Angie~
Over the years, I had had all kinds of dental work - I go 3 times a year for just cleaning since i only chew on one side.  I have had MANY injections on both sides (even though I don't feel one, I'd rather NOT take any chances! LOL!) and NEVER any negative reactions!  I think I'd rather have NO PAIN than the SLIGHT chance something else could happen!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mk

Re: Dental work and facial paralysis
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:07:45 pm »
Angie,

my understanding is that the injection you get at the dentists' office is aimed at numbing the trigeminal nerve, because this is the nerve that causes the feelings of pain. I don't think that the facial nerve is in any way involved with that. You may want to double check with your dentist.
But you bring up a good point that I haven't thought about before. Maybe those of us with trigeminal nerve issues should be worried about these injections. Or maybe we don't need them at all, since it consantly feels like we have had the novocaine injection   ;D

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.