As you can see from my sig, I was in the W&W mode for a while. My AN was found by accident, and I wasn't having any symptoms to be concerned about. Also my AN was small, and it wasn't in a critical area. When I had my MRI 5/08, it was the first time the AN had grown, and I was starting to have symptoms. My rule for considering treatment was if the AN starting growing or if at any time I started having symptoms. So, when the AN met these conditions, I decided to go ahead with treatment. Making the decision was difficult because I could have continued to W&W according to the doctors. However, the majority of doctors I consulted told me these ANs are easier to treat when they are small. Made sense to me, and I just couldn't do W&W anymore because it was wearing on me mentally. I did a lot of soul searching. I researched the treatments, and I found a doctor I could trust. Finally I decided on GK which felt right for me.
I had GK on Oct. 21st so I am a "newbie postie". I have hit some bumps in the road, but they haven't been that bad. I started taking a short course of steroids a couple of days ago to reduce some swelling. My hearing has been preserved although I won't know if I have lost any hearing until I have my hearing test in Dec. I am a bit scared about what lies ahead, but I am taking it day by day. I feel like I made the right decision...........but, I also know there is no turning back. I am feeling positive about the future.
People here told me I would eventually get to my "gut" feeling about what to do. I did, and you will, too. The AN journey is full of the unknown. You will get support here on this board, but in the long run the decision is up to you. Best wishes.