Author Topic: Something great happened today!  (Read 6377 times)

wendysig

Something great happened today!
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:54:49 pm »
Hi all!

Today I went to the mall with my sister to start my Chrismas shopping -- as some of you know, this is no longer one of my favorite places.  I generally have felt sort of disoriented in crowds and the visual problems that being in a crowd generates  have sometimes made me slightly nauseous.  Although it was not terribly crowded today, there were a good number of people there.  Although I did get that wonky headed feeling to some extent, it was not nearly as bad as it has been in the past weeks.  I also left my cane in the car, and for that reason alone did not expect to last very long.  Since my visual problems bother me most when I'm walking, Dr. Choe had advised me to fix my gaze on one thing as I walked.  He said he felt it would help the bobbling sensation.  He could not have been more right on the money.  Although this is not a natural or easy thing to do, having practiced it for over a week I can tell you it really does help.  It does take a lot of concentration and makes carrying on a conversation kind of hard  and my sister and I had a few good laughs because I kept losing my train of thought, but it paid off in other ways.  I'm sure the more I do thiis the more things will improve!  The only down side is that it is tiring so I did have to take a short nap when I got home.   ;D  What an excuse for an afternoon nap!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

Re: Something great happened today!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:02:40 pm »
Shopping and a nap all in one day!  Doesn't get much better than that!   ;D

I've gotten much better at carrying on a conversation while walking ( I will always find a way to talk!), but I do avoid turning my head to window shop too much, so I can probably say that the balance problems can help save money!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 04:29:02 pm »
The mall walking has been my course of action with all my AN surgeries.    I live in the country and outside has been my worse problem and do make my self do it to some extent but the mall has been the biggest help.           At first it isn't easy and it best to do not on the most crowded times.      Mainly as I hate people wondering how much I just had to drink.           The fact that shopping or rather mall browsing is one of my favorite activities does help.           My husband doesn't agree with that unless of course he needs to go to Menards, then it is just fine.     
So keep it up.          It does get easier.                                 Cheryl R                     

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 05:17:58 pm »
Score two for Wendy!!!  Great accomplishment!  You can still take a nap even when you don't get too tired from mall walking/shopping!  (you can just say it wore you out!!)

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 06:10:44 pm »
WHOO HOOO!!!!!!!

Great news!! When I was about 6 weeks post-op I went to the mall, during the day so it wasn't busy, and I walked from one end to the other and back. It was HARD! I know how you felt. At times when it was getting bad, I would focus on something close (usually the floor in front of me) and slow way down. I did it. Made it back to the car. Sat there for about 10 min. to make sure that I could drive home ok. Then I went home and slept for 2 1/2 hrs because it just wiped me out!

2 weeks later I had to go back to the mall, I needed shoes for work. It was a Sat morning and was rather busy. I was a little nervous, but went there and it didn't bother me! I was so excited!! I do think that going back to work has helped me with that, too. My desk is in a huge room with lots of people and noise. Lots of sensory stuff coming at me. That doesn't bother me anymore either.

So, I guess everyone is right. Keep at it, and it all does get better!!

Doesn't it feel great when you can actually see yourself progressing!! I am SO HAPPY for you!! You're on your way!!!  ;D

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 06:22:13 pm »
That is sooo terrific - the small things in life that make us happy.   ;D :D ;)
Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 05:35:17 am »
Thanks everybody,

I forgot to say the timing of the mall becoming more managable could not be better.  Christmas lists are starting to come in from my niees and nephews (I have them traiend to send them early).  I know today is only Halloween but with 26 nieces and nephews and my own two kids, Christmas shopping season is upon me.  I was wondering how I was going to manage this year -- probably a lot of internet shopping otherwise.  Shopping in person makes it seem so much more like Christmas though!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 07:13:25 am »
Great news, Wendy - shopping being one of the most important thing we girls have to do!

26 neices and nephews!  Typo, maybe?  Wow, can't imagine having to shop for that many before a major surgery, much less after one!  But, you're right, going to the mall is so much better than doing it all on-line - not a lot of Christmas Spirit on the computer!

Continued happy shopping to you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:44:24 am »
Wendy,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful news, it gives hope to those who will avoid the places and do the activities they did pre-treatment based on their first time with the activities.  I will repeat first time for everything post treatment is always difficult but it does get better and your story proves this! 

Your level of stamina will increase as time goes on and hopefully by Christmas you won't be too worn out to enjoy it peacefully!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:00:17 am »
Great to hear!!.. thats just something we all have to go thu ...

When I started taking to train to work after the surgery ... it was a little un-nerving ... all the crowds and walking on a moving train was hard....
Like you said... a few tricks... never look at you feet when walking.. never look at the roof.... look ahead !!  I did have a little mis hap in the shuttle bus.....
It jerked forward after a stop sign and I was standing (it was busy) .. I had just let go of the pole when the bus jerked forward... I ended up in a womens lap...  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

3 years later now... I think nothing of train and crowds.... you just have to re-learn your balance... it takes time... but it happens!!

I even had the kayak out at night !!! its has not been a problem that is untill I go ashore... because I've spent more time in the kayak at night than walking!!!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:03:04 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:36:43 pm »
Yippee Wendy!!!! You have inspired me. Need to go to the mall but I have been avoiding it.

Take care and Happy shopping!

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 05:57:45 pm »
Cindy,
No typo, I come from a large family, 6 brothers w sisters, 26 nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews to be exact.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 06:01:28 pm »
I also meant to say this,  I have been to the mall several times since my surgery and found it to be very challenging because of all the visual stimulation there.  Most of the time I didn't last very long -- I felt like I was suffering from sensory orverload and probably was.  The other day was amazing -- to all of you who have not reached this point, it does get better!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 03:14:20 pm »
Wendy:

Thanks for the positive news and congratulations on achieving yet another small but important victory in your ongoing recovery.  We appreciate your determination and success in attaining normalcy.  Nice job!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 07:48:41 am »
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your encouragement and good wishes.  I've always felt even small victories should be celebrated and that sharing them can help others realize there is a light at the end of the tunnel! ;D

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!