Author Topic: Walking assistance  (Read 8490 times)

boomer

Walking assistance
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:48:39 am »
After surgery how many have had to use a walker or cane and for how long?

Vickie

Cheryl R

Re: Walking assistance
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:04:10 am »
 I have never had to use either one with 4 surgeries due to NF2.       
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:22:14 am »
Hi Boomer,

I am three months post-op and still occasionally use my cane.  I am trying to stop using it completely but just feel safer with it at times.  My balance is almost back to what it was before surgery, which ws wobbly at times, but not terrible.  The only thing that makes me nervous is that I sometimes lose my balance ot of the blue and walking in crowds still make me feel weird and really off balance.  Oterwise, walking without support is not really a problem.  I never use hte cane when I am at hom and never had.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:17:32 am »
Boomer -

I only used a "cane" once post op - about ten days into my recovery.

I was attending a picnic with my daughter and her Girl Scout troop and since the ground was very uneven I decided to use a Eddie Bauer hiking stick my son had insisted on getting when he was in Cub Scouts.  I was glad I had it since being in a Forest Preserve there were no railings or furniture to hold on to.  Leaning on my daughter wouldn't have work too well either.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 11:31:26 am »
hi, i used a simmer type thing with wheels on it, and i used a stick too, only for about a few months, i have a friend who is 8 months post op and uses her stick still esp when out and about.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 06:43:43 pm »
I was thinking about this the other day when I read that someone had a walker or cane.  Back in the dark ages, being able to walk the halls WITHOUT my walker was what I had to do before the Dr. would let me go home!  Of course, I probably stayed a few days more than most of y'all.  I didn't use anything once I got home - except family members!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 08:49:26 pm »
Hi, Vickie

I was sent home from the hospital with a walker, which I used only for about 2 days. While indoors, I had walls and furniture to hold on to. When I was out and about, I wasn't alone and had family to hold on to until I got my came. That one I relied on alot, esp. once I began walking around the block. It must have been around 7 wks post-op before I hung up my cane.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

kenneth_k

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:15:03 am »
Hi Vickie.

I haven't used a walker or cane after the operation. I feel pretty off balance, but I don't feel like I'm falling.
However, the first couple of walk-abouts in real nature/traffic, I brought my wife along with me holding hands.

Please don't tell her that I used her as a walker ;D

Kenneth

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:07:52 am »
Vickie,
  Like Syl, I used a walker for 2 or 3 days after being released from the hospital after AN surgery.  So that would be a total of 6 or 7 days post surgery, and I haven't used or needed a walker since then.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 02:37:27 pm »
I would be lost without my hiking stick when I'm hiking on the least bit of uneven ground.  I never had a cane or walker but I did have family members, walls and funtiture to hold onto for about a month before I ventured out into the world!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:39:22 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:39:26 pm »
i used the walker for the first 3 days after my surgery - as part of the physical therapy.  after that, it was small baby steps for the first 2 weeks, and i stayed close to the walls/furniture/someone as my "security blanket".  hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

boomer

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 11:02:30 am »
Thank you all for your replies.  I was just curious if about everybody did need help for a little while.  I guess I'm just thinking ahead.
Vickie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:29:14 pm »
Vickie -

it's always a good idea to think ahead.  I know the hospital where I was, told me that if I needed a walker to take home I'd have to find one on my own since they could not lend me one.

Not too many of us have a walker just hanging around the house ::) so it might be an idea to find a place near you that lends or rents them just in case you feel you need one.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 12:51:56 pm »
Hi Vickie

From the looks of things, it seems as though everyone has had a different experience.  I used a cane for about the first two months regularly whenever I went outside.  But I live in the city and there is a lot of stuff that I needed to avoid that I had to be steady for.  And even now, 11 months post-op, I take a cane with me in case I'm going to be in an unfamiliar situation.  I am still in vestibular therapy.  My balance is still out of whack.

Best wishes

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 04:12:01 pm »
Not too many of us have a walker just hanging around the house ::) so it might be an idea to find a place near you that lends or rents them just in case you feel you need one.

It just so happens I do have one that I no longer need. I would be very happy to pass it on to a fellow ANer.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.