Author Topic: Possible last live gig before translab  (Read 11286 times)

joebloggs

Possible last live gig before translab
« on: October 23, 2008, 04:55:16 pm »
Hello all,

I just went to a gig - Goldfrapp and I stood there listening and thought, holy (expletive) - this may be the last or one of the last live gigs before I go mono - wow.  And I felt a bit sad - not entirely because there were a bit boring and there was the slight chance I'd wasted my last gig on a boring one - but I found myself holding my other ear closed in the noisy bits to try an protect it and wondering what it will be like post surgery.  In the grand scheme of things it's probably not a great deal - but I really like music and the thought of not hearing a symphony orchestra in full swing again kind of scares me.  Does anyone else feel the same?  Is it just me?

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

cindyj

Re: Possible last live gig before translab
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:41:24 pm »
Know just what you mean.  It occured to me a few weeks ago that I will never be able to hear a concert or play, etc the same again...I wanted to get to Les Miserable when it was here, but missed it (saw it years ago and wanted to hear it one more time prior to translab).  I have been to a couple of movies, which I never really go to, but figured I should do it now while I still had both ears...it really is a bit sad...

I'm sure many others have had similar thoughts/feelings.  Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 07:36:02 pm »
My hobby is concerts and to loose stereo is very concerning, I too tried to protect my ears at a couple of concerts this summer with plugs but ended up taking them out.  Yes, it will be a huge sacrifice for me but again I am not alone.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:41:17 pm »
My dad builds dulcimers ,banjos , guitars bowed saltries , do-bros and probably other instruments I have
forgotten ...music has always been a part of my life ... in the last 15 months I have adjusted to mono
and things are beginning to sound OK... not the same but OK...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 08:53:49 pm »
IMO Soundy's right.  Things don't sound the same once you are SSD - especially music - but you adjust.

I have an iPod adapter in my car (plugs into the cigarette lighter) and the sound isn't too far off from stereo.  I also have a mono-plug for my iPod (converts stereo sound into one ear phone) that I use when I'm not in the car and it gives me very decent sound.  It was extremely inexpensive - got mine @ Radio Shack for about $6.95

So I've found a new normal when it comes to music, and it beats not being able to hear it at all.

Count your blessings; don't dwell on your shortcomings  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:22:46 pm »
I think the same applies to hearing loss in general, even if like me you have a hearing aid, not SSD. Things don't sound the same. However, I have found that I remember full stereo sound well enough that I can still imagine it. I can't listen to music very loud, for the usual AN related reasons, but I can listen at a lower volume and fill in the rest in my mind. It's sort of like listening to music on an old phonograph, where the sound quality is not as good, but you still get the rhythm, the melody, and the mood of the music.

You can still enjoy it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:12 am »
JB:

I began going deaf in my AN-affected ear about 9 years ago.  I probably lost all hearing in that ear about 5 years ago.  You adjust.  I was a radio D.J. for 25 years and love music.  I still do and enjoy it as much as always, only in one ear, which, fortunately for me, hears very well. 

The 'Beach Boys' founder and guiding genius - Brian Wilson - has been deaf in his right ear for most of his life (not due to an acoustic neuroma).  He seems to have muddled along pretty well and, at age 66, still tours.  In fact, he recently performed in my area (I missed it).  In my opinion, 'Good Vibrations' is a pop music masterpiece, written, produced and sung by a guy who is deaf in one ear.  Go figure.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

joebloggs

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:10:41 pm »
Thanks for all your messages!

Yeah, it will take a little while to adjust, but I'll get there!  I think last night I was doing a little bit of wine-induced self pity!  Sorry about that!  I'm ok today though.  Perhaps I can find a rocking gig to go to just before the op and go out with a bang! 

Thanks again for the tips and the words of wisdom, I really appreciate it.

JB.
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:16:30 pm »
Hey JB-

If it makes you feel any better - I spent the last month before translab hearing every situation with the thought that it would be "my last" in stereo hearing.  It was springtime when I had surgery and we live adjacent to wooded acreage - the birds singing are a part of every spring.  And, you know what, when I got home from the hospital with my one good ear (not to mention my pirate-smile) the birds still sounded wonderful.  The only difference was that I couldn't really tell where they were!  Things really do sound pretty much the same to me now as they did before - the only thing that I really miss is direction. 

Just my two-cents worth ...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

goinbatty

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:02:50 pm »
This sounds very familiar.  Right before I went for CK consult, I went to what I thought would be my last live concert.  And of course, it was my all time favorite artist Elton John.  That was my 4th time seeing him and he was great as always.  When the concert started, I wasn't going to use earplugs at all.  Figured why not go out with a bang literally.  That lasted about 10 minutes and I had to put one of those very soft earplugs into the AN side (not the dense kind used with MRI).  I was pleasantly surprised that it took away what I call the brassiness and made it sound just perfect.  I'll have to admit I teared up a bit thinking this could be it for stereo.  Now that I'm months out from CK, I've started thinking about seeing him in concert again if he comes anywhere near but of course I'll use earplugs in both ears this time.  If only I could go to that Red Piano concert in Vegas before it ends.....oh well.  Hopefully once that run is over, they will be put it out on DVD.  And life goes on......
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 06:25:14 pm »
Love Elton, one of my favs too, seen him twice, once front row, we had a moment......... I guess when my hearing goes in my AN ear I will learn a new normal and be thankful for what I have left.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 09:12:20 am »
Yes, love Elton.  The best concert I ever went to was Elton at the Garden in NY - what a blast!

Debbi, doin' the Crockadile Rock, wonky style....
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 09:40:46 am »
  In my opinion, 'Good Vibrations' is a pop music masterpiece, written, produced and sung by a guy who is deaf in one ear.  Go figure.  :)
Jim

And let us not forget the Beethoven was entirely deaf!

Also, remember there are options like the BAHA and Transear, that may not give you true stereo sound, but may go a ways towards a sound balance.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 12:38:04 am »
It really bothered me at first but I've grown used to it. The stereo to mono adapters do help some for iPods and such. The more difficult part is following conversations at parties and the like. Tough to pick out the words you want to hear from amongst all the chatter without stereo. Social situations can be difficult. You'll have to get used to turning your hearing ear toward the person speaking and saying" What was that you said". ;)

I'm very protective of my surviving ear/hearing...I imagine everyone else is too. Losing the one made me very afraid to lose the other.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Seal

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:51:43 pm »
Hi JB,

Like everyone has said, you adjust to the new reality rather quickly.     I've lost my hearing now for nearly three months as I am waiting for my operation next month.   Although it was not my career path, I trained as a classical concert pianist and enjoyed playing all music from honky-tonk, to Bach, to Elton John.      My biggest fear was to loose my sense of release and comfort when i sit down to play and go to another space to release the stress of daily life.       Well, yeah, it is mono now, and that is the downside.      The upside was that I need that release now more than ever.    Sure, I always loved being in the car and listening to a great acoustical guitar piece.    You can't replace the fullness of that sound.    However, I now find a renewed enjoyment of the classical pieces I love the most.     The Chopin, Hayden and many others are soothing and help to sooth the nerves.      I'm still enjoying the piano on one ear, and the car music has become more on the classical side of things for the first time in many, many years.      However like Steve says, just imagine that you are back 40 years ago listening to 45s and even 78s which was all mono.     Nostalgia can be a fun place too !!!

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.