Author Topic: Bad results with EMG test  (Read 7651 times)

MKLady

Bad results with EMG test
« on: October 09, 2008, 05:55:18 pm »
I had an EMG done today and had zero nerve activity.  It has been six months since the surgery and he said it is not likely to recover.  Has anyone ever had a zero this far out and still had recovery later.

Two days ago the corner of my mouth started moving slightly.  It take effort and it is microscopic but I swear its moving.  I don't think it is the other side pulling it.  Could I be having movement that doesn't show up on the test??

It has been a really bad day.  I was not expecting a zero...especially after thinking I was having a slight movement.
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: Bad results with EMG test
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:08:16 pm »
Hi,
I understand your frustration and fears. All of my doctors said to ALWAYS go by what you see and don't rely so heavily on the emg. Some doctors don't even do the emg unless you're 18months out with no movement and trying to plan your next move i.e. nerve graft.  Was your nerve cut or is it intact? Did you have a surface emg or a needle emg? Sometimes the surface emg will not pick up on activity like the needle emg will. The needle emg hurts like heck but gives you a better idea of what your nerve is doing. The emg is a snapshot in time. I don't think that 6 months is enough time to say that it won't come back. If it were 18 months and nothing on emg then yeah. I have heard of people who can see movement but for some reason the emg doesn't record the activity. Maybe others will chime in. Trust what you see in the mirror. Give it more time and don't make any hasty decisions right now regarding treatment. Keep the faith. I know it is hard. I didn't get any movement until about 5 months out and all of my early emg's were AWFUL. I remember the doctor shoving the needle in each muscle group and saying...nope, nothing. Also it is impossible for them to test each muscle strand. Where did they test?
Angie

MKLady

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:42:59 pm »
The nerve is intact.  THe surgeon has said since the beginning the he expects that movement will return. It was a different doctor doing the test. That is one reason this was such a blow.  I didn't expect it.  He did a needle emg and then he tried to stimulate the nerve with an electric jolt...nothing.

I just really feel like it is moving slightly.  THank you for the encouragement.  It helps.

Susan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 08:54:36 pm »
Susan, I had the same thing happened to me a little over six weeks after my surgery. The EMG showed nothing. In fact the technicians kept zapping me over and over (and boy, was that fun) trying to determine if they saw movement and decided that they did not. The next day I saw the director of the facial nerve center, and he could see a tiny movement at the side of my nose. I could not, but he assured me it was there. At about three months I could see it and at four months there is a bigger movement by my nose and some movement around my lip.

If you can see movement then your nerve is regenerating. Yay!

Sara

P.S. If you put your finger on your lips like you are shushing someone and then pucker up it is much easier to tell if there is movement vs. the other side pulling. Try it!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:58:49 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

MKLady

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:37:46 pm »
I tried the finger on the lips test and it is not pulling from the good side.   ;D  Yay!!  Having the bad emg test just after having the first movement has robbed me of the joy of nerve regeneration. It has made me doubt it.  I'm sort of mad about it.  But on the other hand, had I had the emg test first before the slight movement it would have been even more devestating.  I'm working the corner of my mouth like crazy trying to get more out of it because I see my surgeon on the 21st and I want him to see it.  Of course, I've shown everyone else that has crossed my path.  My poor son and mom have had to watch over and over  :D

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:17:03 am »
Sara that is such a good tip about the finger on your lips. It totally works. Thanks, I think I have done it about five hundred times now. hehe
Michelle  :o
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:38:51 pm »
dont give up, two doctors told me my nerves wouldnt get any better, and they have improved, i started to see a difference a few months ago i am now 22 months post op.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06