Author Topic: Dry eye/exercise  (Read 6961 times)

texsooner

Dry eye/exercise
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:44:54 am »
Can anyone relate to this? I just went out on this beautiful morning northwest of Houston to run a few miles to continue training for the half marathon in Houston(that I hope I can complete in January). About a 1/2 mile into the run, I realized I forgot my sunglasses that I usually have on outside to protect my AN induced dry eye. My eye didn't feel bad, so I kept running. After about a mile, I noticed that my AN side eye felt like it had a lot of moisture in it...I thought ok...must be sweat, but my good eye didn't feel that way. I thought to myself maybe the jostling up and down was helping to trigger tear production again. That maybe wishful thinking, but wondered if anything similar has happened to anyone out there. Throughout the whole run(6 miles), tears never came rolling down my face, but I ran for almost an hour without having an issue with the eye(which has been unusual for me since surgery). However, as I sit here 30 minutes afterwards, I feel the eye drying out again and will have to put drops in. Trying not to get my hopes up too high, but I was hoping this might be a good sign for future tear production and less eye problems. Comments?

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

calimama

Re: Dry eye/exercise
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:34:46 am »
Good luck with your training and race! That's awesome.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:41:11 am »
Patrick,

If I ever actually run 6 miles (or walk it, for that matter!), I'll get back to you on the issue!   ;D

I can say that my eye does seem to produce tears quite randomly.  Mine was dry most of the day yesterday, as we were outside a lot and we had very low humidity, but then we sat down to visit some friends, and all of a sudden, I had tears dripping out of my eye.  Then later on, it was dry again.  I have also noticed (and there was a thread about it on here recently) that when I do anything that would raise my body temperature - exercise, brisk walking, yard work - my eye tears more and my nose runs.  I think the nose running is actually from the excess tears draining through the tear ducts.

Maybe when that nerve starts to come back, it only comes back in spurts?  It tears a little and then tires out?  Just a thought, I have no medical evidence to back that up, but since no doctors seem to be able to make sense out of it, I figure I can't be too far off the mark!   :D

I would say that it is a good sign for the future if you are producing any tears at all.  Some are definitely better than none, but it's probably something that will continue to improve.  Hopefully!!

And good luck with your training!  I'm really impressed by all the runners and other athletes we have here.  

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:07:36 am »
Hi Patrick,
Same thing happens to me... when I exercise or when my core body heat increases. Oh I call them my million dollar tears (they are worth soo much).  ;D My nose also starts flowing - I look kind of funny while I am running ... eye running, nose running. As soon as I stop running it starts to dry up again. Hey I will take it. Funny how are bodies work.
I am hoping that it is the lacrmal (sp?) gland waking up and saying "Hey I am here be patient, I am slowly waking up."
Happy running...enjoy your million dollar tears.
Michelle  ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 03:36:05 pm »
I have the eye tearing and nose dripping with eating now on my left side which is the side of my recent surgery but no facial paralysis.                            I have had it in the past on the right when had the other surgeries and facial paralysis but don't now.          I do get rt nose running but at miscellanous times.                    I have heard various explanations for all of this.            One is that tearing from the eye is a symptom of dry eye.       Another is that there is a petrosal nerve which also can have some damage.              There is another reason that involves the facial nerve which my wonderful forgetfulness since this last surgery will not let me remember.
I met a lady in Florida who has hers only when she plays golf.                My left side issue didn't even start till a good 3 months past surgery.
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

texsooner

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:33:00 am »
Thanks for the feedback Cheryl, Lori and Trish.  Michelle, sounds like your experience may be a little similar to mine, but I've yet to actually shed a tear from my dry eye since surgery. I never have cried much(it's a man thing), but I'd love to feel a tear roll down my face from my AN side eye in the near future...and I'd be proud to say I cried! 

This Friday I'm going to a follow up doc visit and plan to have a discussion about this eye. 

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 06:39:32 am »
Patrick~
I could count on one hand the number of times in the first 12 years that my eye teared - literally.  Then in March, I had the T3 for my smile & it teared ALL the time - drove me crazy.  It has settled down now & happens occasionally.  It happens more when I am working out.  I have always been a HUGE "nose-runner" when I am doing anything remotely strenuous.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:32:51 am »
Kewl Patrick let us know what he says. I keep forgetting to ask.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 01:19:27 pm »
At least you know the tear duct isn't plugged. :D  I guess you have an indication of good things to come when the facial nerve gets completely smoothed out again.

texsooner

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 03:16:15 pm »
My nose on my AN side has been very dry as well(since surgery 8/11), although it's gotten a little less dry in the last couple of weeks.  Just curious Cheri, is your AN side eye normal or is it dry?

Patrick

bltfollis

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 06:31:20 pm »
patrick, hi my name is bill recent surgery in july o8 so happy you r running with my dizziness id probly run in circles, i too notice my eye tearing with increased activity i also get an afternoon tear spell usually around 3/4 pm a probalbe explanation may be a sympathetic response to physical stress ie: exercise ( you know the fight or flight response) your body will do unexpected things if challenged,    keep up the good work bill(inphiladelphia)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 02:48:36 pm »
Hey Cheri-

I have the same thing - my non-AN side nose runs like a darned sieve when I eat.  Drives me crazy.  I meant to ask my doc about it when I was there last week, but totally forgot.  I'll ask him next time. 

For all we non-tearers - I tried chopping onions the other day (sans onion goggles) just to see if my right eye would tear.  The left eye was cascading, but not a thing from the right eye.  Oh well.  Maybe later....

Debbi, hankie in hand
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

texsooner

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 02:57:04 pm »
Debbi,

That's funny, I was thinking the other day of doing the onion thing to see if I could force some tear action. I still might give it a shot. I have a lot of eye questions for my doctor visit this Friday.

Patrick

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 04:14:41 pm »
Debbie, I'm shocked that you would invest in onion goggles and then choose not wear them for the express purpose intended.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 11:45:35 pm »
I could be wrong and hope that I am but I don't think that the changes in ones eye during exercise means that it's the beginning of better things to come.  First off keep in mind that I had a Facial Neuroma not an AN and my eye doesn't tear at all during normal activity.  On the other hand if I cough really hard, choke or work out a long time my eye will water.  When I had my surgery back in 92 I was bound and determined to participate in the local fun run called Bloomsday.  I broke my leg in May just after the annual walk/run then had the Facial Neuroma surgery in June.  My goal was to walk the 7.5 mile course the next May.  I started training in early spring and was over joyed to find that when I really got going I didn't need to put very much ointment in my eye (usually every 15 minutes), that was great as I really didn't cherish the idea of stopping every few minutes on the course to do so. 

The down side of exercise as some of you have mentioned is the fact that the Neuroma side of my nose runs like crazy.  When I'm working in the yard I'm using the kleenex for the nose and my eye, either to wipe off the ointment below my eye or the excess water from my eyes when I really get working hard.  The joke at the eye doctors is that I should either, cough, choke or exercise all the time so my eye will water!  Jill ::)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.