Author Topic: Diet and NF2  (Read 16735 times)

Steve1100

Diet and NF2
« on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:59 am »
Hello everyone,

My 17 year old son was very recently diagnosed with NF2; he has a 3 cm tumour on his left accoustic nerve which has pretty much taken his hearing and is pressing against brain stem, and a 1.5cm on the right where his hearing is still good. He's also having a scan on his spine shortly which I'm praying isnt going to show anything.

No family history so far as I can establish, we also have a son of 20 so we have a major concern for him as well.

We're currently going through a series of meetings with people on the team that are dealing with my 17 year old. They're based in Cambridge England and I understand that they are well practised in dealing with NF2.

As you can imagine, I'm frantically reading up on what I can (and scaring myself silly) to try and find any helpful information to slow the growth of the smaller tumour (at the moment I'm reading up on anti cancer foods as it seems that there is a logical link). Obviously the scientific medical approach is the going to be the main way of dealing with this, but I believe that there are other things that we can do to help him.

Has anyone here had any success in slowing/stopping/reversing growth in tumours through diet and lifestyle? If so, how did you do it?

I've also read that there are instances of "smaller tumours" suddenly shrinking and vanishing of their own accord. Has anyone experienced that and how big were they?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any responses that you can make.

Steve

Kaybo

Re: Diet and NF2
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:01:49 am »
Steve~
I am so sorry for what you are going thru with your son - I can't even imagine how hard it is.  I wish that I had some wonderful advice, but I don't.  I know that there will be others that will chime in though.  I will do what I can do and that is pray for your son and your family.

Peace to you all during this rough time,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:44:40 am »
Hello.        I am very sorry to hear of your son with the NF2.             I was an older adult onset of NF2 at age 49 after already having one AN removed.              I have now had 3 tumors removed and am 56.             No spinal one so far but will get a spinal MRI again next spring.
I was close to deaf and had my last surgery 6 mos ago today at Univ of Iowa which is where I go for treatment.             The mid fossa was a success and my hearing improved greatly as was due then for a cochlear implant which was not needed.
Are you aware of House Ear Institute in Los Angeles?          They do many NF2 pts also.         There are AN symposums every other year and I have talked to the drs from House at them.  Dr Slattery is super.   They have had good luck with doing mid fossa and there is the possibilty even that the smaller one of your son could be removed and keep the hearing.    I know I was scared of that happening and did not until next to deaf as am on the other side.   It worked though.
I will send you a personal message and give you the email address  of a couple from Michigan who are very into NF2 as their son has it.       He now is a little older but has had good results with an ABI.      I see them at the symposiums.  I have been to the last 3.                There is also Jeff here who can give you info with his NF2 and also family.                         There are other NF2ers here on the forum.
    I am not aware of anything working to help the tumors but there are some here who do use some foods and herbs.         
                Good luck to you all.                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Steve1100

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:36:05 pm »
Thank you Cheryl and Kaybo,

Prayers and kind words are very welcome.

Steve

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 12:45:47 pm »
Steve
There is also another foum nf2crew.org I believe. They are all NF2ers and can help a great deal. Age ranges from young to older. I do hope this helps. They are great people.  ;)
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Raven

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:07:33 pm »
Steve,

So sorry to hear about your son, having two boys myself, ages 10 & 14, I can't imagine what you are feeling right now. To answer your questions, I have not heard of any diet or lifestyle change that would slow down the growth of the tumors. I woke up one morning last summer and was deaf in my left ear, happened over night, I was 48 then. This led to an MRI which showed bilateral ANs meaning NF2, another MRI showed five small tumors on my spine. CheryR is right when suggesting the middle fossa approach, this procedure gives a good chance of preserving the hearing nerve for a possible cochlear implant. Besides CherylR, there are a few other NF2ers here with tons of knowledge, please listen to them, I did and learned alot.

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:08:56 pm »
Hi Steve,

I just wanted to extend a welcome to you and your son. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this now and do send along my wellness wishes. There are some really great folks here and many truly knowledgeable about NF2.  Hoping the info here will be helpful... as well as the hugs and well wishes.

Again, good to have you (both) here.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Steve1100

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 05:22:11 pm »
Hello Phyl and John,

Thank you for your best wishes.

Steve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 05:40:41 pm »
Steve -

I'm sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. 

I don't have NF2, but I know how shocking and scary it was be diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, so I know a tiny bit of what you and your son are going through.

Our forumites who have NF2 have great attitudes and I've learned a lot from them.  I think you'll find them to be a wonderful resource for you and your son.

My best to both of you.  I'll add your family to my prayers.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Steve1100

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 04:42:13 pm »
Thank you Jan.

We're grateful for your support.

Steve

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 06:25:39 pm »
Steve~
There is another ANer on here that I thought might chime in - maybe he is out of pocket this weekend - his screen name is "Tumbleweed" and he seems to know a lot about diet and different wholistic approaches that are good for your body.  You might try sending him a PM.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:39:12 pm »
Steve 1100,

Some topic links for you, since I like to do this sort of thing:

NF2 Tumour Suppression
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7370.0

My holistic, natural therapeutic approach
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5782.0

Holistic Treatment
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7090.0

Natural remedies anyone ??
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1727.0

Tony, who started the first one above, NF2 Tumour Suppression, is an NF2er. I think he said he was going to try the bee propolis (see the link for more details). He would be a good NF2er to get a hold of, anyway. Tumbleweed (regular AN) started the second one, and has posted in several others as well.

Steve

One more link, the NF2Crew web site:
http://www.nf2crew.org/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:35:33 am by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 08:08:28 pm »
Hey BJ, the hat knitter~
Thanks!   ;D

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

tony

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 01:32:29 am »
Sorry I was "asleep on watch" here
I am Tony, NF2 in the UK
I am sorry to hear of your problems
So Diet - Yes
There are signs (early days here)
That improved diets can help
Basically the fresh fruit and veg - ie from farm shops
so in season where possible
Helps the body to improve its own defences
Look up CAPE (Caffeic acid) - any natural food
with this in a natural form should assist
In terms of the health option - Curcumin/Tumeric
is thought to be good - but there is no medical evidence as such
In terms of a known suppressor
at 17 he maybe yet too young to try
(it may restrict the bodies natural growth ?)
Bio 30 propolis is a supplement that is in unofficial trials with humans
- about 100 around the world (I am one of them)
It did work on a limited trial in the lab with mice
and we all hope it will help us
This has reports on the net - drop me a private note
and I will send the links
In terms of a NHS cure - we think human trials about 12mths away ?
Final thoughts - certain parts of the UK have dedicated
clinics for NF2 - where all the knowlege and checks
are done under the same roof
- once a year general NF2 MOT ?
It is worth to seek one out for the young man
Hope this helps
Best Regards
Tony

Steve1100

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 03:43:33 am »
Hello Tony and Steve,

Thank you for your replies. There is plenty of information there to be thinking about.

Regards

Steve