Author Topic: Just wondering.....  (Read 7238 times)

chocolatetruffle

Re: Just wondering.....
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 08:49:41 pm »
i was so focused in getting my AN out that i overlooked "life after AN and with SSD", so i wished i knew about BAHAs before my surgery - if i knew about BAHAs i would have done the implant at the same time as my surgery, and have one submission to the insurance company.
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 01:47:36 pm »
chocolate -
just because you didn't have the AN/BAHA surgeries as a "combo", doesn't mean you have missed out.  Lots of BAHA users had their surgery separately.  I had my BAHA surgery nine months after my AN surgery and I'm very glad I did.

At first I didn't even want to think about a BAHA since I didn't want to go through another surgery, but the BAHA surgery is NOTHING like the AN surgery.  The doc doesn't even open up your head.  It's a short, outpatient procedure, and I felt great immediately after it was done.  I chose local anesthetic and didn't have to wake up, deal with nausea, or anything like that.  I was able to wash my hair 24 hours post op and the healing went very smoothly.  I was able to snap on my processor 90 days post op and it's helped me a lot with SSD.

So maybe you want to think about it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 08:16:11 pm »
Hi Carson,

I wish I would have known about peppermints for the nausea that I had for well over a week after surgery. That was the worst part I think. My brothers girlfriend told me about peppermints and they bought me some. Those worked better than any of the meds that I was given. And MUCH cheaper!!  ;)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Pembo

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 08:06:50 am »
I wish I had known about facial paralysis and numbness and that all of its effects. I had no idea what was going on with my face when I woke up. I also wish the doctors had explained the facial nerve healing process more clearly. I had no idea how long a process it would be....as I sit here with some paralysis and numbness four years later.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 08:21:26 am »
Hi Carson,
I wish I would have been prepared for the side effects of my particular surgery (trigeminal nerve issues).  Also, a realistic view of how long it would take for nerves to heal, etc, would have helped me. 
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

calimama

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 10:31:52 am »
I wish i had known that i would survive surgery, no stroke, no leak, no infection, no headaches, no fatigue, no swallowing problems, no cognitive issues...nothing i couldn't handle.

Because while i went into surgery quite relaxed and ready (not scared), part of me thought...what if i don't wake up? what if i come out wrecked, forever? What if i can't work? I took my chances.

While I didn't come away without any problems  (mine being mean double vision and paralysis, which i am told will recover in time), i feel like am doing pretty good despite these things. I was really worried about facial paralysis and didn't know that "temporary" could take months-years to fix (and that even then it might not be 100%... i really didn't know this fact).

I guess what i am trying to say is, i woundn't have done things differently, so i wish that i had known that it would be ok after all. I was hoping to avoid facial problems, but i am hopeful that it will recover and i will be that much more appreciative of what i have.

If i had known about the paralysis and DV (which was really scary and i didn't if it would fix, which it is), I don't know if i would have gone ahead with surgery (and i am glad i did). So i am glad i didn't know the bad things that would happen and wish i did know the bad things that wouldn't/didn't happen.

It is good to have peace in your decision and outcome. I wish this for you and everyone.

Trish in Toronto, Canada
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 11:00:37 am »
[I am hopeful that it will recover and i will be that much more appreciative of what i have. Trish

I could not agree more, it certainly is a life altering experience.
Michelle  :o

Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

BDB

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 09:09:43 am »
I had CK done,I was told nothing to it,although that was true,the headaches and hemifacial spasms which occured 3mos.later ,was unexpected,and being on decadron,and extremely sick all summer,ana unable to work for a couple months,made me wish I had watched and waited.I finally got weaned off the decadron,which was hell in itself,but now feel much better.I still have facial spasms,but no headaches,and am active once again.Honestly,I would do CK again,but probably at different facility,with different doctors.When I was having a horrible time on steroids,I called the CK center and explained to nurse what was going on,she told me that couldn,t be from the CK,or steroids,and said to check with my GP.He wasn,t familiar with CK side effects,and had me contact neurosurgeon,who although prescribed some different drugs,this only made things worse.I finally got off drugs and doing 100% better.

I also went to CK forum,and must thank Dr.Medbury,who was familiar with what I was expierencing,which in itself was a relief,as my doctors more or less blew it off.
You must be your own advocate,and if your not getting the clear answers to your questions either have doctors explain until you do,or get another opinion.A little off track I know,but felt it shoild be said. Bruce
1.2 cm an rt.side CK MAR.08

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 03:04:32 pm »
Hhmm, interesting question.  I would have to agree with Lori that I wish I had taken time to educate myself more about facial paralysis.  I wish I would have understood that the stats most docs cite regarding facial paralysis pertains to permanent paralyis, not the temporary kind (which as Trish pointed out can take months/years to resolve).  I don't blame anyone for this - I just didn't want to know a lot about it because it scared me so much. 

And, I wouldn't change my choices either.  It sucked when Willie told me in the Recovery room that I had "temporary" facial paralysis, but I think I began right then and there to deal with it.  This entire experience has made me a better and stronger person, without a doubt.  And, I've made some great friends here as a result! 

I also am thankful that, if someone in our family had to get an AN, that it was me - I would not have dealt with it nearly as well if it had been one of my loved ones with the diagnosis. 

Cheers,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

windy

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 01:09:57 pm »
This is a wonderful question Carson!  I wish I had known that when I had post treatment problems that I never thought I would experience, I was going to receive no support at all from the GK center I choose.  It may be harsh to say, but it seems it is all too true in my case.  Over the course of a two and half month period, I was just not expecting a physician to reply to my questions that it was not possible to have headaches, pain in temples, edema, and skin issues from the result of radiation treatment to an AN.  For me, I can only find my center honoring hearing loss as a possible problem of an AN.  It has been quite frustrating.

Nothing is 100%.  No physician can predict what can happen to someone before they have treatment of surgery or radiosurgery.  Nor should they discount what symptoms a patient experiences post treatment.  It would be comforting to have a team that owns up to side effects or negative outcomes, no matter how clean they want their statistics.

Ir is quite possible I would have had problems no matter what treatment route I took.  I have a sensitive body with many past reactions.  I am still pretty new to my treatment, so I am have gone back and forth if I made the right decision, when I feel really bad.  At this point, I am not sure exactly what I would change because I am in a new, confused state.  I may know more when I am further down the road.
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24:55 am »
I wish I had consulted with a neurologist before surgery and found a good person to manage my aftercare before flying off to California to have my surgery.  I was one of those unfortunates who ended up with debilitating headaches which kicked in months afterwards with no one back home to manage them in my small town and none of the AN surgeons at Duke or any other centers of excellence in the area wanted to "clean up anyone elses mess" and actually cancelled appointments on me once they found out the details of my case.  The only thing I've been able to do is get my symptoms managed--the causation is still unknown.

Looking back, I wish I'd looked more into radiosurgery, but I did what was best for me and my family at the time or so I thought.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 07:48:17 am »
Carson,
Having read everyone's posts here I think the moral is gather as much information as you can.    Research, research, research,  here and on your own.  If your insurance company will pay (and maybe even if they wont pay for all of them, although I can't see them saying that) get as many opinions as you need to have to feel comfortable.  Everyone makes their own treatment choices for their own reasons.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 07:18:36 pm »
Everyone makes their own treatment choices for their own reasons.

Definitely true.  Treatment choice is a very personal choice - you need to do what is best for YOU.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways