Author Topic: confused about choices need stories about post op recovery  (Read 6653 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: confused about choices need stories about post op recovery
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 02:19:01 pm »
Tony:

Congratulations on making the difficult decision about choosing a treatment, doctors and facility.  AN surgery can be daunting but thousands have gone through it successfully and many have already posted to you here.  Let me be yet another.  My AN surgery (and later, radiation) were successful and now, 28 months later, are just a fading memory.  I'm pretty much back to normal in almost every respect.  Oh, I have a few tiny residual effects from the AN but nothing that impacts my life in any real way.  No facial paralysis, headaches or other AN-related issues.  I have a bit less stamina than I used to but, at my age that is hardly an obstacle to enjoying my life.  I trust you'll have a successful surgery, smooth recovery and soon will be offering advice to newly-diagnosed AN patients here!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 10:23:10 pm »
Just wanted to update everyone on Tony; I heard from his wife Gena a day or two ago.

He chose Translab, so naturally he is SSD.  Aside from that he is experiencing dry eye and some facial nerve damage that started after he was released from the hospital.  He is currently on steroids for the facial nerve issue and it's giving him a little bit of stomach trouble, which I think is normal from what I've read on the forum.  Curiously he is having no balance issues.  Drs. Battista and Kazan were able to remove his entire tumor - and Gena tells me they were quite pleased with the way Tony's surgery turned out.

Gena also tells me that Tony is having a mixture of good and bad days post op and that his stitches were being removed soon (either yesterday or today; I forget which).

On a side note, during surgery Tony's AN turned out to be twice the size it showed on his diagnostic MRI.  I found this pretty ironic because I had this very same thing happen to me.  I'm wondering if both our MRIs had inaccurate measurements - even though they were done at different places.  Perhaps there are MRI machines in Illinois that are notorious for inaccurate measurements ??? Either that or we both had rapid growth in a very short time period, which is fairly unusual.   

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 07:43:45 am »
Jan,
Thanks for the update.  I hope Tony continues to recover well and posts soon,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.