Author Topic: Anyone with corner of eye stitched? I have questions.  (Read 10453 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Anyone with corner of eye stitched? I have questions.
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:08 pm »
My bad eye is larger than my good eye due to of course weakness/paralysis. I am getting some of my blink back but would find it much easier to blink and keep the eye moist if it didn't droop so bad. I had a canthoplasty done last year to tighten up the corner but that doesn't give you a permanent fix as it will lax up again over time as I was warned of this by the plastic surgeon. I was wondering how they stitch the corner, does it look funny, and is it done in the office? I would really like more information on this. ALso for those that have had the canthoplasty do you think that it drastically changed the shape of your eye. Does it look alot different from the other eye?
ANgie

lori67

Re: Anyone with corner of eye stitched? I have questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:33:43 pm »
Angie,

I had a lateral tarsorrhaphy done.  It made my eyes look like they actually match!  My AN eye was a lot wider than the other one for a while, but now they look pretty even.  I don't know exactly how they do it, and I probably don't want to, but the stitches are not visible - I guess they stitch from the inside part.  I had it done about 17 months ago, and it hasn't drooped or anything.

I had it done as same day surgery because my insurance didn't cover the surgical suite right in the doctor's office, but it didn't take long at all.  I also had my tear ducts cauterized at the same time and I'd say it took less than 2 hours.  Of course, I was asleep at the time, so I could be a little off on the time.  I felt and looked like a prize fighter for a few days, but after that, I've had no problems at all and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.  Let's hope I never have to!!

Before I had my procedure done, I had gone on line and saw some pictures of some that have had it done and it really looked bad - of course I was scared to death, but I was also in so much pain, that I was willing to try anything at that point.  I'm happy to say, it does not look funny at all and you can't even tell I had anything done.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:46:04 pm »
Thanks Lori for your reply.
I hope that you are feeling better after your surgery.
Angie

lori67

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:52:49 pm »
Thanks Angie!

I don't sound great and I don't look great, but I feel it!  I had forgotten what a pain in the neck it is to make sure you have all of your "supplies" before leaving the house - straws, 10 different kinds of eye drops....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

epifania74

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:11:03 pm »
Hi!!

I went in and got a tarrosophy  I think thats how you spell it?? The eye was done a couple of days after the AN was removed. My eye was fully red and the doctors wanted it to be protected as I had no eye closure at all. Geared up in hospital gown, in answer to your question no its not done in an office. Yes it was an operation..You are wide awake during the whole thing.  Probably the reason being was because they were telling you to look to your right or left, so they could see if the cornea was still exposed, while still awake. Also to see that your eye has enough coverage. They have little bolsters which they use to sew the eye up.

There is no pain because they inject anaestethic into the forehead. I don't think its a long procedure just tedious for them because I could see them trying to sew with surgical tweezers..arrghh. I  don't remember how long I had to wait for them to remove the plastic bolsters maybe a couple of weeks but I do remember having to put chlorisig into the eye for protection. When they take out the bolsters your eye is semi closed because the stitches are healed over. The eye docter that did the operation said he would open it back up as soon as I recovered full movement.  That procedure for that can be done inside the office where they reopen the eye back up.

My one didnt look funny, maybe because it didnt look too noticeable.  Sometimes it looks like I'm squinting with the eye in question but I have no probs. If they try to close the eye halfway then it will be more noteable..well they did close it midway but my eye wouldnt stay close and broke the stitches but lucky for me the dr was satisfied I had enough closure with the stitches in the corner of my eye that were still intact....Its been 14 months and I am still waiting, but cannot wait for the day they will reopen the eye.   So hurry up eye function!! Well hope I answered some of your questions...
Tumour size 6 cm.  Operated Feb 2007
Central permanent Tarsorrhaphy  x2 performed Feb 2007 and May 2007
Radiation March 2008
Right facial palsy and total loss of hearing in right ear.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:14:42 pm »
Hi Angie:  I'm going to an oculoplastic surgeon on 10/20 for this same reason (except I'm not getting any blink back).
I can't decide if I want the stitch in the outer corner of my eye or a piece of cartilage taken from my ear & placed in my lower lid to lift it ( or both! ).

This will depend on what gives me the most symmetry.  I'm told these procedures are done outpt.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy

ps:  Lori:  I'm keeping good thoughts for you re: your 12/7 jump !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:34:03 pm »
Oh my!  My procedure doesn't sound like it was anywhere near in depth as Epifania's.  You must be braver than I am - I think I would have passed out if I saw someone coming near my eye with a needle!   :o  Anyway, it's good to know it can be done different ways so you know to ask your doctor exactly what his plans are for you.

Nancy - thank you!  Trust me - you and me both...hoping for the best!

Lori

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 07:20:10 am »
I am scheduled to see a facial plastic surgeon on October 15th. I need to do something asap - my eye stings if I do not wear my sunglasses with foam and tons and tons of lube and drops. I am asking about an internal eyelid weight but also about my lower lid. At first it was tight around my eyeball and as time passes it is starting to droop slighthly. I guess it is tired of just hanging around with no support. I may have both a stitch and a weight.... I waited so long cause I was confident it would be back by now. Oh well life goes on right?
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:12:44 am »
Michelle~
It can VERY easily be reversed so I think that you should do it now & help make your life easier!!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 08:16:28 am »
I agree! I am getting exhausted trying to care for this eye. October 15th can not come fast enough and then it might only be a consult - grrrr.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jeanlea

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:52:17 pm »
Angie,

I also had the corner of my eye stitched.  It's just one or two stitches.  The doctor left the eyelashes there just in case I ever need it to be undone.  I'm thinking not, since it's been 2 1/2 years now.  If you want to see how my eye looks, go to the facial progress thread.  I have my picture posted there.  I also had my lower eyelid lifted at the same time.  I had the gold weight put in  before I left the hospital after my AN surgery.  No one would be able to notice any of now unless they knew what they were looking for.

I was in a semi-awake state during my surgery.  They gave me something, but it didn't put me out.  Just a sort of dreamland.  The doctor did stitch by my eye.  The lower eye lid lift had a piece of plastic with a string attached to it.  The string was attached to my forehead with tape for a couple of days.  The was pretty funny looking!  I even taught with it like that!!  None of it hurt.  Of course I have no feeling on that side anyway.

Good luck to you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD