Author Topic: I have a screw loose - literally  (Read 28772 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: I have a screw loose - literally
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 06:57:26 am »
Oh thats all I needed was a screw driver.  :o
"Honey can you check if it is a robinson or a phillips screw?, the girls said we can screw it in ourselves" Ha ha if it was only so easy.
Didn't someone take out their own internal eyelid weight -  still makes me shiver.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 07:32:36 am »
Lori and Jan, and usual I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt!

Lori, I can picture you standing on a stepladder(since you are short and Jan is tall but I guess you get that) to tighten Jan's screw and Jan running away!
You are just so considerate and always ready to lend a helping hand. ;D

Jan - RUN! ;D

K - I don't remember that episode of ER but it does sound really funny!  Do the street lights really go off or are you pulling our legs? :o  I thought once my titanuim mesh and screws were setting off the alarm in a store in the mall since I didn't have a package when I lwalked out.  I walked back in and out and nothing happened.  My guess is someone must have passed the exit with something that had a security tag on it at the same time that I walked out and come too close the exit.  Thank  goodness it wasn't me -- can you imagine having to explain that to Security?  Sorry but I have titanium mesh in my head.   They'd probably want to see my incision or search me!

Michelle - Pretty funny, but if you literally have a screw loose I'd let the doc fix it.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 07:53:34 am »
Wendy~
Lights do go off ALL the time when I drive by them, but HOPEFULLY, they just do that a lot...maybe others can try to start noticing too.  Who knows?  It might just be me!!   ???

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cin605

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 08:42:59 am »
Are you sure he didn't say" HAVE a Screwdriver"???? ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

lori67

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 09:20:47 am »
Well, yes, ideally you should HAVE a screwdriver... or three.. before I come after you with a real screwdriver to tighten up your loose screw.   ;)

Wendy, my BAHA sets off the alarm at Best Buy.  That's the only place though.  I just tell them it's my hearing aid and when they see how grateful I am to just be leaving in the first place, they don't bother too much.  Now I just drop my husband and my son off there while I go to a store I like.  Those two could spend the entire day in that place!

And Kay... I think it's just you!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 04:41:18 pm »
This is pretty funny, wonder how long it will take before it gets booted to AN community?  I had retrosigmoid, no fat and no titanium or screws.  I think I remember them saying they did a cranioplasty which is something like drywall compound.  Seems to have worked....and at least I don't have to worry about anyone coming after me with a screwdriver!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 06:27:22 pm »
No, but you may need to be spackled at some point!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 05:27:40 am »
Marci,
I had translab but also had a cranioplasty too.  My doctor used titanium mesh and straps and screws and didn't replace the bone plate since he feels it doesn't provide adequate pressure.   Some docs don't use anything at the surgical sitel, just close it.   He also said that with retrosigmoid most doctorrs put the bone plate back and secure it with titanium strips and screws.  I know since Jan has both the bone plate and mesh (I thnk it was Jan anyway) some doctors use both.  I guess it's a matter of preference and where they were trained. 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 06:46:14 am »
I know since Jan has both the bone plate and mesh (I thnk it was Jan anyway) some doctors use both.  I guess it's a matter of preference and where they were trained. 

Guilty as charged.  I personally think it's a matter of preference - does the doc like to spackle or is he a screwdriver kind of guy.

BTW, Lori, I'm drinking those screwdrivers even as we speak - so get your ladder  :D

Seriously, and back to topic, before Phyl moves us (sometimes I think she just moves every thread Lori and I participate in  ;) ) as Wendy suggested, if you do have an "issue" with a screw, please consult a medical professional - and no, although Lori is one, in this case she doesn't count.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cin605

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 09:01:25 am »
Tooo funny! ;D
43yrs old

sgerrard

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 09:36:32 am »
This is pretty funny, wonder how long it will take before it gets booted to AN community?

Seriously, and back to topic, before Phyl moves us (sometimes I think she just moves every thread Lori and I participate in  ;) )

Let me take this opportunity to clarify. :)

In the moderators' discussion on the subject of hijacking, we recognized that sometimes a topic comes along that is both serious and funny. A loose screw is a perfect example of a topic that is both real to many AN patients, yet rich with potential humor. Humor is good, we all know how important it is in the AN journey; it is straying off into other subjects that becomes a problem.

The goal is simply to keep the boards with a specific subject matter on topic, while the AN Community board serves as a grab bag for all the off topic discussions. It is pretty easy to make the call for posts under Headaches, Facial Issues, Hearing Issues, etc. The AN Issues board is broader in scope, so it is not always easy to decide what constitutes being on topic, and that probably applies to Post Treatment as well, since the rest of our lives is post treatment.

Yes, we did note that the "Jan and Lori show" is sometimes an indicator that a thread is straying off topic and may have to be moved, but we  appreciate your contributions to the forum too much to make it an automatic thing.

I hope all of you have your heads screwed on snuggly today. ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 10:41:38 am »
Ah, that explains why my ear was ringing... you guys were talking about us!! 

Oh, wait, my ear was ringing long before that....

Well, like I've said before, it's all Jan's fault.  And I did not drop my halo for Phyl to trip over this time! 

Lori

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 11:49:18 am »
Thanks Steve... will leave it at that....

... and hoping all screws are tightly in place and all are feeling well.....

:)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cin605

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 01:18:05 pm »
I have screws & plates too!I just got my records the said due to the drilling there was screws &plates to repair 5cm defect.
43yrs old

cin605

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 02:15:01 pm »
oh yeh...I'm going to pick up orange juice just in case...i need that screwdriver..
43yrs old