Author Topic: I have a screw loose - literally  (Read 28767 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
I have a screw loose - literally
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:06 am »
I was washing my hair yesterday and felt a funny bump (I had retrosigmond surgery). All around the bump it is slightly indented. I am positive it is some type of screw that is up and all of the rest is indented.
I started thinking well should I worry? I keep feeling it now. Was it always this way and now more swelling has gone down so I can feel it? Then I thought well who should I see- I would not go to my local hospital. Would they do a CT? I don't want that (more radiation). When do I panic? It is next to impossible to see my surgeon, I guess I could call...
Michelle  :o
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

calimama

Re: I have a screw loose - literally
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:28:43 am »
Hey Michelle...
I feel a little bumpy too behind my ear... although not new, i have had/felt this since surgery. I thought maybe a screw too. I got my family doctor to check out my incision after taking out the staples (at 2 weeks post op) and then again when i went back (i forget why...) a few weeks later. She said all looked good. I mentioned that my head was bumpy/lumpy. She said part of recovery (maybe bone growth?) and all was fine/normal. Anyway, no insights here, just mentioning that i too have bumps but am not concerned. I would guess that they would have used 4 screws to put on mesh, but i only feel 2 bumps (and they are close together). The area was pretty sore about a month+ post surgery (oh yeah...that's why i went to my family doc). She said no worries, all part of bone healing. ANYWAY... i'll leave it at that.

How is your implant quest going? I am going to see if the eye surgeon that i am to see in January (about double vision, which seems to be correctly, slowly, over the past few weeks) does implants. If not, i might see how yours goes! ;)
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:04:35 am »
I have had the 3 surgeries on the rt and was concerned over one bump that I didn't think was there in the past but got assured that is was fine, just from one of the incisions.  I was sure it was a screw but they said it wasn't.     I have a huge indentation just above the ear and really feels weird.   I have mentioned it more than once to my surgeon and he says it is ok too.       They do kind of change as the head heals.
                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 10:08:23 am »
Michelle -

Don't panic.  Give your doctor a call and tell him about it.  I'm sure it's normal, but you'll feel better hearing it from him.  I'm sure you're not the first person who called him to say they had a screw loose!   :D

As the swelling goes down and thing start to settle, you'll be able to feel and see weird things you couldn't before.  I wouldn't go to the local ER if you're not having any problems because they will turn you into a guinea pig and do every test on you just because it's not often they get people with screws in their head coming through their doors.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:37:38 am »
Thanks Gang! As I said in a post to Vonda - I would always ask you guys before any doctor. You have much more experience. Oh I would be afraid Lori to go to emerg - "What you have a screw loose?" Call the men in white jackets - hurry we have a crazy lady here. Droopy face and all. HAHAHAHA
I'll keep you posted on the screw story.
Michelle
Not rattling just yet. Brain still intact.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:49:34 am »
My doctor has always told me that if I have any issues, to please call him first before going to the ER.  All you have to do is walk in there an tell them you had brain surgery and you have metal things in your head, blah, blah, blah, and they will immediately go into high gear and do a bunch of stuff that doesn't need to be done.  On the bright side though, you won't have to spend long in the waiting room!   :D

I had an infection of my BAHA site a few months back, just as I was getting ready to go out of town (of course..).  My doctor had me come into his office on my way to the airport (at 6am!) so he could make sure it was ok because he was afraid of what might happen if I needed to go to an ER while out of town.  He said he could just see me walking in and saying "this area of my head hurts".  They'd take one look and say, "well, here's the problem - you have a metal snap on your head!   Let's just take that out."   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 12:12:30 pm »
Michelle,
I had translab just over two months ago and have some pretty strange feelings things behind my ear.  I have assumed it is the mesh and screws too -- my daughters kid me and call me the bionic woman!  I'm not concerned but do plan to mention it to my doc next month if it still feels the same.  Sorry I can't be much help.  I have been sending him periodic updates at his request -- if I decide to ask about this, which I very well might do, I'll let you kne what he says.

Hang in there,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cin605

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 03:29:13 pm »
I wasn't even aware of the fact that they put screws or staples in there???Do i have them??
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

lori67

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 05:26:42 pm »
Well, hold a refrigerator magnet really close to your head - if it sticks - you have screws in there.   :D

Just kidding.  Not everyone has them.  The only one I have is my BAHA implant - I didn't have any screws from my translab.  It seems to depend on the surgeon.

By the way, refrigerator magnets don't stick to my BAHA screw either.  Too bad, I was hoping to have a handy place to put my shopping list.

Lori

cin605

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 05:37:39 pm »
wowt!You had me going for a minute. ;D
They told me how they would go in & pull back facial nerves cut skull fill w/ fat all that but nothing about staples or sscrews.I acually called & requested a copy of my med records today
all they ever gave me was a 5 page after care sheet & a brief explantion of the reason i was treated & what the surgery was for.i like to see it written down rather then them just tell me whats up when i go there.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 06:13:40 pm »
OK~I have thought of this so many times - does anyone remember the old ER episode where the interns/residents (or someone) were trying to break into the MRI machine b/c the one that had done the MRI for everyone else to see was convinced that their protons and electrons were out of line??  Anyone??  Dave & I laugh about this ALL the time -that I'm out of whack!  (No comments about how this does not surprise anyone!!  LOL!!)  Street lights ALWAYS go off when I drive by them... :o

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 06:35:38 pm »
Ok, so how long did you actually hold that magnet near your head waiting for it to stick?   :D

Kay, I've never seen that ER episode, but it sounds hilarious!  I'll have to ask James about that one.  He is a nuclear engineer, so I have frequently asked him if his protons are functioning normally.  He always tells me, yes..he's positive they are.  Get it?  Did I mention I married a geek?

Anyway, Cin605, looks like you and I are what they call "fat heads"  - unlike Michelle who apparently is a "metal head".

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 07:15:12 pm »
I had retrosigmoid, and I have screws, titanium mesh, and a titanium plate in my head - and that's just from my AN surgery.

I also have a titanium abutment, compliments of my BAHA surgery.

My AN site is kind of lumpy in spots, most likely just scar tissue, but there was originally some concern about a screw from my AN surgery possibly "popping through" the site where my BAHA abutment is.

My doc told me if the screw does ever pop through my skin, he'll just remove it with a screwdriver  :P  Sounds like fun  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 07:31:16 pm »
Oh, Jan, don't be silly!   Save yourself a co-pay.  We have plenty of screwdrivers here.  I'd be happy to tighten any loose screws.

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 09:42:58 pm »
Lori -

as always you are just TOO thoughtful - and I never cease to be amazed that you always have my best interests in mind.

I'm not sure if I should let you get near my head with a sharp object though  :o :o :o LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways