Author Topic: A fortunate coincident  (Read 2945 times)

lugnuts

A fortunate coincident
« on: October 04, 2008, 02:39:52 pm »
I had a fortunate encounter yesterday.
I have been watch and wait since diagnosis 2 years ago.  Growth has put me in the moderate size category and my symptoms made me decide to have it removed, scheduled for Dec. 11.  I have significant balance issues and have learned to cope with it by using adaptive mechanisms (ie. I run my finger along the wall or rail as I walk and pay close visual attention).  I believe it is not noticable to others at work because I concentrate hard to walk straight; at home I walk like I am drunk. 
Yesterday I met another AN patient a most pleasant way.  I was at work walking down the hall toward a stairwell behind an acquaintance that works at our large facility; she was walking slower than me but because of the narrow door and stairway I kept a distance behind her.  At the top of the stairwell she looked back and saw me and said, "I'm sorry I'm so slow, I have balance problems".  I asked her why because I thought I could relate to her.  She told me about her AN that was removed 2 months ago.  She had translab and her inner ear was removed;  she is back at work half time after one month off.  We had a short discussion about her experiences and will talk more. 
It was such a relief and positive emotion for me to meet and talk to an AN person who is going through similar cirmcumstances.  The feeling of isolation and being alone with my "problem" was greatly lifted.  Even though I do discuss with my spouse and close friends I have a problem expressing myself without thinking I am sounding like a hypochrondiac.  I mean, how can I describe loud sounds in my ear which no one can hear on a side on which I am deaf?  It is truly all in my head, real, but in my head and I am the only one who experiences the difficulties. 
That is the value of this discsussion forum; it is greatly enhanced by direct discussion with a fellow AN person.
Thank you,
JD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: A fortunate coincident
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 07:23:26 pm »
JD -

this IS a fortunate encounter - and surprising also, given that ANs are relatively rare.

I'm hopeful that your colleague will be able to give you lots of "face to face" support.

As great as the forum is, I think actually being able to discuss ANs in person with someone who's been there before you is a great asset.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 08:30:40 pm »
JD -

I'd be willing to bet that woman was just as happy to meet you as you were to meet her!  It's easy to feel isolated when you're "rare", but hopefully you'll be able to lean on each other for support!  Maybe even literally!   :D

And believe me - we understand how loud it can be to be deaf!!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:33:28 pm »
JD:

As Jan noted, these forums are wonderful for AN patients to exchange information, experiences, etc but one-on-one, live encounters are even better. 

I trust this new acquaintance will be able to give you some practical advice.  That feeling of isolation can be stressful but now you have a fellow 'ANer' to talk to and discuss a situation that only other folks with the same condition can really, truly understand.  Indeed, a fortunate coincidence!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.