Author Topic: Is it menopause or a brain tumor???  (Read 7884 times)

Tumbleweed

Is it menopause or a brain tumor???
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:29:24 am »
Hi, everyone:

My sister-in-law has horribly debilitating "migraine" headaches that sometimes last for days and are recently getting worse. I suggested that she get an MRI of her brain. My brother (her husband) said she's been to many doctors and they conclude that it's just the onset of menopause causing the headaches.

Having no experience with this, I thought I'd ask the women on this board if they had escalating headaches with the onset of menopause. Many of us have had our ANs misdiagnosed for years. If the menopause theory is not supported by anyone on this board, I may press my sister-in-law harder to get an MRI. But, of course, right now she and my brother think I see everything as a symptom of a brain tumor (considering I have an AN).

Is it possible/probable that her headaches are, indeed, just a symptom of menopause?

Thanks,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

jazzfunkanne

Re: Is it menopause or a brain tumor???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:23:51 am »
I must admit i had terrible migrains before my AN was removed, but since then i get the odd one and i am 2 years into the menopause. There would be no harm in your sister in law getting a scan for peace of mind.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:14:39 am »
I was a lucky one with menopause...no symptons whatsoever...one month here the next gone...Been two yrs and still no side effects from being post menopause with the exception of gaing 20lbs...but I blame that on my partner's cooking...he loves to cook...

JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 06:17:41 am »
I have not had a migraine since surgery so I am hoping that they were caused (in part) by the AN.  Before surgery I'd get them pretty regularly.  Also (sorry guys) it seems surgery scared my body directly into menopause.   :D  Hope this helps.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 06:28:50 am »
hi marci, thats funny because after my surgery i went straight into menopause (wonder why that is)
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:48:01 am »
Well, I haven't experience migraines as a result of menopause (or the AN either, for that matter) however I do know that hormonal changes can precipitate migraines in some people.  i have a friend who suffered terribly with migraines through menopause.  Either way, it would probably be good to get an MRI just for peace of mine if nothing else.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 10:57:06 am »
Good question, but I don't have the answer.

Although I went through menopause at the ripe old age of 32 - long story there - I didn't remember any kinds of headaches.  The hot flashes are what stand out most clearly in my mind  :P

I also did not have headaches prior to my AN diagnosis - or after either - other than your normal, routine headaches.

Since everyone's AN symptoms seem to be different, I think I'd recommend she keep an eye out for other unusual things.  If she gets fullness in her ear, diminished hearing, or starts to have balance issues, I'd push for the MRI.

Just my take on things,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 12:52:33 pm »
Tumbleweed,
I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I recently read an article saying that migranes can be an AN symptom that is often overlooked.  The article did not mention menopause at all.  If your brother and sister-in-law would feel better if she had an MRI, I'd push for it just to put thier  minds at rest.  Of course, I hope it turns out NO to be an AN.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 02:22:44 pm »
Tumbleweed~
I don't think it is just you, I think that anyone who has had an AN (or other brain tumor) tends to be more cautious about these things b/c we would be rather "safe than sorry" and would never want it to get bigger (more severe post treatment issues) when it doesn't have to.

I am very curious about menopausal responses though since I haven't been there yet...& really haven't thought about it.  I did have HORRIBLE hot flashes after I had surgery, but obviously since the girlies were all born AFTER surgery...NOT menopause!!   ;)  I will say that I was a bit confused when I read the topic and then it was posted by you - I thought I had been WAY off all along b/c I thought that you were MALE!!   ;D   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 02:56:17 pm »
I just watched something on tv this week about a woman that had debilitating migraines (auro and all) and they eventually traced it to her heart, believe it or not.  They said they are discovering that, at least some number of migraines, are indeed related to a defect (a hole) in the heart.  They are able to do a surgical procedure to close the whole and the migraines discontinue!  It's not likely that this is your sister-in-law's issue, but just thought I'd pass on the info.  Someone else may know a migraine sufferer that might actually have this problem...

I have migraines, but have had them since highschool and they are almost purely stress related and only occur every couple of months or so...but was interesting to note that a couple of you no longer have migraines since AN treatment - know that was a nice side effect to have!

Hope your sister-in-law can find relief, Tumbleweed!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Sefra22

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 04:26:19 pm »
I have had terrible migraines since I was 14, but have noticed they have gotten even worse since I have become "perimenopausal".
I know it's related to that because they happen at the same time every month. I get them the first and second day after my period is over.
I wake up around 4 am with them, and can't even get my head off the pillow. The worst part is knowing exactly when I am going to have them, and not be able to prevent it.
I am lucky though, that if I take 2 Advil at 4:00, then 2 Excedrin at 7:00, I am okay to get ready for work by 9:00, so it doesn't affect my life too much.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 10:01:29 pm »
Good info, everyone. Thanks.

Kaybo, you're not hallucinating.  ;) I am male. There has been some confusion about this on the board ( but luckily I'm not confused about it!).  :D

My maleness is exactly the reason why I posted this topic. Menopause is not something I expect I'll have personal experience with!

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 12:28:17 pm »
Tumbleweed,

If you are married to a woman you will  ::)

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

elliemae

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 01:37:45 pm »
Well, Tumbleweed, you're a good brother in-law to  be concerned!

I never had a migraine until I began the perimenopause years.  I thought it was my eyes at first, because I couldn't be in any kind of bright light, but, just like Lisa mentioned, they happened the same time every month.  What a coincidence!  The gyn told me they were common with menopause, and thereafter I called them my hormone headaches.  Now I only get them occasionnally, usually when the weather changes and I have a sinus attack.  So, now I call them my sinus headaches....  :D  I haven't. so far, had headaches I'd associate with my AN, altho for the first time ever last year I had an "aura" (w/o the headache!) and thought it was my eyes again ...

However, from what you said, your sister-in-law's headaches are very bad, and seem to be getting worse. She should pursue with her doctor to make sure that it's not anything more serious than those hormones fluctuating.

I hope for the best for her.
Elaine

Denisex2boys

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 08:26:12 pm »
I know I read that headaches/migraines are not typical AN symptoms - but I am one of the few that suffer daily with headaches - they are not debilitating but I am a tylenol pill popper - - I wake up with them .... I go to sleep with them - - if I have 2 or 3 days without one it is a miracle ..... they have gotten worse over the course of the past year ..... I am attributing them to the AN - -I would consider my peri-menopausal - but the headaches are an every day thing - not related to my cycle at all ..... Hopefully this will be one thing that I am rid of after the surgery - I have met a few headache sufferers who did not get them after surgery - who had them before .... fingers crossed ....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!