Author Topic: My incision is still leaking  (Read 25381 times)

wendysig

My incision is still leaking
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:33:53 am »
Hi all,

This is just unbelievable!  My incision started leaking on August 6 and has given me false hope that it would stop many times.  For the past week or so, it was just leaking for a while in the morning and maybe into the early afternoon.  It would then stay dry until the next day.  I really thought this was an indication that it was almost done leaking.  The last couple of days it hardly leaked at all and I was sure it was almost done.  Lat night it started leaking again.  I just want to scream!!!  When I saw my doc a couple of weeks ago he offered to suture it but said if I could be patient it would probably stop soon on its own, which he thought was a better course of action since he thought it was leaking for a reason.  I agreed that I'd rather deal with the leak than possibly risk an infection which is what he was getting at.   He also said if it was still leaking by my next visit he would suture it then.  That is still two weeks away and I am not sure of what to do.  This on and off again leaking is driving me crazy!  I have no signs of infection and it still looks like serous fluid but enough is enough!  I'm not sure I expect any answers -- I just really needed to vent a little.

Wendy - STILL eaking in NYC
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

Re: My incision is still leaking
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:36 am »
Wendy~
That just stinks!!  I could call you & you could hold the phone up to your head and I could tell it that it "BETTER stop right now"  in my sternest teacher/parent voice.  It usually works on the kiddos...shall we give it a try??   ;D

I am so sorry - how incredibly frustrating!  :-\

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tamara

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:10:19 am »
You are taking this "Queen of the Icky Head" thing a bit too far my dear!  I definitely sympathize and hope you feel better after venting.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:23:36 am »
Wendy -

Stop it!!!  Stop leaking right now!!!  >:(

Sorry, thought if I got angry and used force it might help.  Probably didn't, did it  ???

Maybe we should have someone send you the lucky scarf.

Seriously, the doctor probably gave you a timeframe for a reason unbeknownst to you.  IMO you should hang in there until the next appointment and see what he decides to do then.

I know it's easy for me to say since I'm not the one going through this . . .

Try to be patient; we're all pulling for you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:34:00 am »
Wendy~
Isn't the saying "Queen for a DAY" ?????

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:48:21 am »
Wendy -  aren't you empty yet????

I guess your brain is just SOOOO big that it needs more room!   ;D

I hope this stops soon!  I can't imagine how frustrating it must be!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Melissa778

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 12:33:40 pm »
I too had a bit of "leaky head".   My doc called it "seepage"....never any infection, never CSF....just a few spots on/near the incision that would occassionally leak fluid.  I had translab in May, and once my incision COMPLETELY healed in early-Mid July is when the "seepage" finally stopped.  I occassioanlly would put a smalll band-aid over the area....because I got very tired of ick-hair and crusty pillow..... :)  But it did go away and everything was fine......just took some time to heal.  Best of luck. :) :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 03:48:29 pm »
Wendy:

Like so many others who've posted before me, I'm very sorry to learn about this frustratingly persistent incision leakage.  I trust this will cease soon and, if not, a call to your doctor will end up with you receiving sutures or at least some sort of explanation, perhaps some topical relief and eventually, an end to this exasperating problem.  I look forward to reading about this leakage problem being relieved.  If yelling at the incision helps, you have lots of willing volunteers here.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 03:50:29 pm »
 Hi all,
I decided to e-mail Dr. Choe after I wrote my post this morning.   He always get back to me quickly (within 6 hours or so) but I went out since I didn't expect an immediate answer.  He actually sent me an e-mail suggesting I come in to see him, but since I just got  home a little while ago (I decided to spend the day with a friend) I got his message too late.  I sent him another e-mail saying that I would come in tomorrow if I'm still leaking and he thinks I should.  I'm hoping this won't be necessary, but think it probably will.   I'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings. 

K - I'd take you up on your offer but I've already tried yelling at my incision -- it doesn't listen, but thanks anyway.  As for being "Queen for a Day"  I would gladly give up my throne, I've already been queen way too long.

Jan - When I last saw Dr. Choe he told me to keep him updated on how things were going regarding the leak until my next visit.  He had said that if it was still leaking then it would be time to intervene and put in a couple of sutures, but thought it best to let it run its course until then.  He seems to have now changed his mind but I'll see what things look like tomorrow.

Tammy - I'd love to abdicate my claim to the throne but my my leaky incision won't let me.  Venting always helps and I also had a nice day with my friend -- that always helps too.

Lori - I guess I that must be it -- I have an extra big brain and it needed more room!  There's a reason for everything I guess. 

Melissa - Sorry to hear you went through this too.  I know the drainage is not dangerous in itself, just serous fluid but this has gone on for a long time. My incision has done more than just drip thoug -- it actually leaks quite a bit.  The fact that it almost stops leaking and then starts again is very frustrating

Thank all of you for letting me vent my frustration and for your comforting words.  I know this is not the end of the world but sometimes you just have to let the frustration out.

Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 04:26:54 pm »
Hi Wendy,
Crap, that just sucks.  I'm sorry and even though you know it will stop eventually, that is no comfort now.  Hang in.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 07:41:58 pm »
Sending you good vibs Wendy!!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:36:52 pm »
Good luck, Wendy.

Hope Dr. Choe stops the water works for you.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 06:29:43 am »
Hi all,
I thought I was in the clear last night as things seemed to be slowing down.  This morning while I was fixing the girls lunch my incision started leaking harder only it is clear and watery.  I called Dr. Choe and he said to come in.  Just waiting for my brother as I don't want ot go by myself.  I am truly afraid for the first time in a long time and think it could very possibly be the much dreaded CSF leak from Dr. Choe's avoidance of the question when I asked him.  I guess I'll find out soon. 

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 06:41:09 am »
Hang tough, Wendy, and just do what you have to do.

There are lots of things worse than a CSF leak - many on the forum have had them.  I'm confident Dr. Choe will take care of this problem for you.

Keep the faith and know we are all in your corner ready to support you.

Good luck today.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 07:29:50 am »
Wendy~
I am sure you are gone by now but I said a little prayer for you just now & will continue to until I hear from you - I hope you get good news!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!