Author Topic: 2 years and counting  (Read 2530 times)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
2 years and counting
« on: September 13, 2008, 07:27:43 am »
My surgery was 2 years ago today.  I know I don't say it often enough, but here's a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum and at the ANA for everything you did to help me through my journey, and your continuing support to everyone here.

I was one of the lucky ones, and I have almost no lingering issues.  I count my blessings every day.  I know I'm not around as often as I used to be - I get distracted by trying to raise a young family!  ;D - but I think about everyone frequently and wish everyone the best on their own journeys.

I'll keep popping in whenever I can!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Kaybo

Re: 2 years and counting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:37:41 am »
Congratulations!
I am glad you are where you are today and don't have lingering effects!
Celebrate in a big way - you deserve it!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:13:42 am »
Katie,
You wench!  Congratulations, sweetie!!!  It was so great getting to know you in Philly.  Thanks for helping me wander around to see the sights and visit the Liberty Bell and shop at Macys and pick out my favorite purse, even though I had a splitting headache!  You have such a warm gentle spirit and a truly kind heart.  Your kids and husband are very bessed people to have you as a wife and mom.  Your inner strength is amazing.

Please keep posting here--there are people here that could benefit from your experience, strength and hope. I love you very much and hope to see you in Chicago if you can make it.

Big Hugs and smooches,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:32:42 am »
Katie... Oh my word... it honestly feels like yesterday.  Congrats on 2 yrs.... .wow..... think back to your goofy, anesthesia enhanced piccies.... to today, how you have come through with flying colors! Me thinks an extra apple dumplin' is in order to celebrate! :)

Congrats, congrats!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:37:22 am »
Katie:

As another one of the 'lucky ones' (a bit over 2 years post-op, also) I share your gratitude for blessings.  No need to apologize for taking the necessary time to be a good wife and mom but I do agree with Phyl that you have a lot to offer AN patients, especially 'newbies'.  I hope you'll be able to find the time to post here occasionally because you are missed.

Thanks for all of your contributions.  My wife and I look forward to seeing you again at the November Maxwell's brunch, if possible.   :)

Jim

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:35:30 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:15:19 am »
Thank you all for the kind words.  I'm so incredibly touched.  This is such an amazing place.  Yesterday was actually much more emotional for me than I anticipated.  I keep remembering the hours and hours my dad sat by my bedside in the hospital, which touched a very (still) raw nerve for me.  He was diagnosed with leukemia 3 weeks after my surgery, and gone a few months later.  This is tough time of year.   :'(

I'd love to make it to Chicago, but I can't yet confirm plans.   :-\  I had such a fantastic time in Philly, and I'd love to see some of the same faces and meet many new ones.  It's definitely worthwhile.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 06:28:02 am »
Congrats on your two years and I too "ditto" your sentiments regarding this site and the people who come and go into your lives with great information!  Your children are blessed to have you!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

MLB57

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 06:59:04 am »
 ;D Hi Katie,

Anniversaries always bring a myriad of feelings, depending upon what the anniversary is about.  In your case I can imagine the flood of emotions especially as your dad (whom you have said was your hero) was always there for you and then so quickly gone. But he lived to know his little girl was going to be just fine so that is a blessing in itself!!! 

Congratulations on two years since your little AN "egg" was ejected from it's warm cozy place, never to re-nest!!!

Hope to see you Nov at our wild and crazy brunch--and all the newbies as well.

Ps--have you heard at all from Ellen Vig???

Take care,  Mary B :D

1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 11:19:07 am »
Kate,
Congratulations on your two year anniversary of being AN-free!  Getting good news is always great.  I'm glad to hear all is well.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!