Author Topic: 1ST YEAR ANNIVERSARY  (Read 5596 times)

28Lisa

• pre opt
1ST YEAR ANNIVERSARY
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:52:19 pm »
Its 9/11, and in a couple hours, my surgery began.  This time last year, I was waken up by the blood work team every hour, it was a pain in the neck.....lol  It was so uncomfy having those metal stickers on your head...pfff

Im gonna do something special for myself today

Any suggestions??
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: 1ST YEAR ANNIVERSARY
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:21:45 am »
congrats on your 1st anniversary! This anniversary is always special!
How do you feel a year after the survival? i read that you had a ton of comlications!

You deserve something special! Have a great day and enjoy yourself!
Hrissy

P.S. As far as I remember this time 7 years ago the Twin towers in NY were ruined too!

4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:57:05 am »
hi lisa, let us know what you do today, happi anniversayxxx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 05:56:11 am »
Happy Anniversary, Lisa!

Doing something special for yourself today is a wonderful idea.  I don't really have any specific ideas for you, but I'm sure you'll think of something.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourself  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:24:16 am »
Lisa,
Happy First  Anniversay!  Doing something special for yourself is always a good idea especially on  a day like today. 

Wishing you good health,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:22:03 am »
Thanks all

Im watching the 9/11 ceremony, its sad to watch, lost some friends on that day

What do I miss most about myself? my smile I hope it returns

I'll keep you posted as the day goes by
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

fbarbera

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:23:43 am »
Happy Anniversary, Lisa27.  Just had my own 1 year anniversary and though I did not have surgery, I know from hanging around this site that each day brings more healing and recovery.  As for your smile, I'm sure it is lovely exactly the way it is right now.  Any improvement is just icing on the cake!  Be well, Francesco 

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:36:00 am »
Happy Anniversary, Lisa!
How about a manicure & pedicure?  That always makes me feel special!
Have a GREAT day!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 12:40:02 pm »
Lisa I suggest a hot bubble bath, candles and a wee glass of wine and RELAX, take deep breaths and let the water soothe you and take you away from any stress you may be feeling. Tell yourself you are a wonderful healing machine, watch a funny movie and surround yourself with things that make you feel good. Snuggle with your daughter and tell her you love her (cause you are here and you can).
I know you are dealing with a lot but think how far you have come. You can do this, fight hard, be strong! We are so glad you found us! We are all here for you - take care. {{{{Big Hugs}}}
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 12:53:06 pm »
Hi, Liza:

Happy Anniversary!  Because treating yourself is very specific to the individual, I have no suggestions to offer.  I just hope it's a great day for you and that it gives you some measure of joy to reach this very important milestone in your recovery.  I hope and will pray that you do get your smile back.  We need more smiles and I'm sure the world is a bit less pleasant without yours.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 03:12:22 pm »
Although today may hold very sad memories for many... Lisa... your's is a good one... the day you started your life without a head booger! Congrats on your anniversary!  I'm with Kaybo... medi/pedi...... and thanks for sharing the pic... :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:50:42 pm »
I suggest doing a happy dance: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7401.0   :D

A smile is mostly in your heart; heal that, and your eyes will be twinkling again, and everyone will know what you mean, whether they can see the pearly whites or not.

If that doesn't work, try whiskey.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 07:00:00 am »
Steve that was a wonderful link! The universal language, a smile, if not a smile then a DANCE! I'm smiling (on the inside) and it feels great! Thanks for that!

I have a new student in my class from Korea and she does not speak English. I was feeling badly because I cannot smile at her to ease her anxiety. We do tons of singing and dancing and she is smiling a lot which makes me happy. I also wore a happy face sticker on my forehead, my kids think I am funny and smile. I was such a smiler before and people smile back when you smile, now that I cannot smile not many people smile at me and it makes me sad. So I say whatever works do it!!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 07:44:39 am »
Morning all, had a great day yesterday, my dad came by brought me some flowers, it was so sweet of him, then he cooked for me and when my daughter got home we ate and watched "Enchanted" it was cool since I usually dont venture out of my bedroom on a regular..
Oh I got a medi/pedi from my caregiver, its weird cuz my nails grew really long and strong but only on my left side.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 08:29:59 am »
That does sound like a great day and Enchanted is the best feel good movie ever!!!
 Baby steps - thats how it starts.
Here's to many, many more good days.
Michelle  ;D