Author Topic: new prosthetic lens: a lifesaver for those w/dry eye due to facial palsy?  (Read 3201 times)

cmp

Hi all--

Haven't been around in ages due to overwhelming family health issues (mother, husband, daughter); they're all hanging in there, but I've been incredibly tapped out... (though my own health, at 10 weeks post surgery, is amazingly good--hooray!)

Anyway, I came across an article in the Boston Globe at the beginning of the month which described a recently developed prosthetic lens which has been used to protect the corneas of soldiers and facial burn victims with missing or impaired eyelid function. They're even working to develop a version that can be left in full time (vs removed and disinfected daily). It seems like a perfect fit for AN folks with the dread dry eye that comes with facial palsy--I know if I had come upon this article in '88, after my first surgery, I would called my opthalmologist on the spot to ask about it!

Here's the link:

http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2008/09/01/prosthetic_lens_a_sight_saver_for_iraq_vets?mode=PF

I'm saving the article as a word doc, too, so if you have trouble with the link, PM me and I'll send the full text.

Anyway--I will try to be around more, soon, and wish good health and healing for all in the meantime!

Carrie

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

lori67

Re: new prosthetic lens: a lifesaver for those w/dry eye due to facial palsy?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »
Hi Carrie!

Good to hear from you.  I've been wondering how you're doing.  I'm glad you are doing well, and I hope the rest of your family is doing more than just hanging in there.  You've had a rough year.

Thanks for this link.  That's really amazing.  It really would be a great idea for "AN eye".  Imagine how much easier this facial palsy nonsense would be to deal with if we didn't have to walk around with goop in our eyes trying to prevent more damage?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 02:23:22 pm »
Hi Carrie-

So good to hear from you!  However, I am very sorry to hear that you are dealing with so many family health problems - I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 03:57:17 pm »
I have a follow-up with my ophthalmologist Friday,. I am going to take a copy of this article with me. Will report back with his reaction.

Thanks.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Karen

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:23:56 pm »
Hey Sara, let me know what Dr. Custer says about the article.  He's the one I see.  I showed him my pair of onion goggles in pink and he was impressed, said he was going to tell other patients about them!!!  He even took a picture of them.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 02:42:15 pm »
I showed Dr. Custer both the article and some information from the developers of the lens. I told him I thought it would make a great research project to look at the effectiveness of the lens for facial paralysis patients. But he said he was sorry, he was down at the hospital where they treat the soldiers to confer with the doctors there. He says it is mostly used in burn wards where the patient has no eyelids. It shows promise in short-term use, but he thinks it is not suitable for mobile patients with other options (such as an eyelid in which to put a weight, I presume).

Karen, he did not recommend the onion goggles to me, but I did not remember until I was back in my car. Oh well.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13