Author Topic: Question  (Read 4249 times)

28Lisa

• pre opt
Question
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:05:38 am »
My surgery was last year, but I have an inquiry of what happened to me....

I initionally agreed on two head surgeons.........Brain and neuro surgeon to perform the surgery, the ENT dr never showed up making the head brain surgeon to perform everything, now Im faced with all these complications...

What should I do??
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:39:03 am »
Hi Survivor,

Your post caught my eye this a.m. and I'm very sorry you are having complications and wondering if you would go into more detail on your symptoms--perhaps we can better help you? 

As you probably know most surgery survivors can have lingering issues with balance, partial to total facial nerve weakness, single-sided deafness, fatigue, head noise and tinnitus.  Most of these issues go by the wayside and some just go away completely.  Even though you are one year post treatment you might need longer healing time. 

Where did you have your surgery and who were your doctors? 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:11:20 am »
Dr. Philllip Steig @NY Presbyterian Hospital
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:58:15 am »
Hi Survivor~
It seemed to take me longer than most to "bounce back" from my AN surgery, but I had a LOT of complications too.  Why did the other Dr. not show up?  Do you know?  I can't believe that the other Dr. didn't contact him & went ahead w/ the surgery...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:11:53 am »
Hi Kay , how long did it take you too bounce back from your op.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:19:24 am »
have no clue as to why he wasnt there was in acoma for 3 weeks after then in a rehab hospital for 4 months @ Mount Sinai hospital...

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:25:54 am »
JFA~
First, let me say that I think I got pregnant WAY too soon, but that is all I wanted my whole life: to be a mommy!  I went back to work at 3 months but someone else drove me & that is when I started going to rehab too (I had a stroke on the OR table).  I certainly was not functioning anywhere NEAR full capacity!!   ;)  I got pregnant at about a year.  I think all the energy that my body should've used for continued healing was redirected to the baby (which I am glad!).  I am VERY active now (even though I have limitations) - when someone asks me how long it took me to get where I am today, I HONESTLY have to say a good 3-5 years.  Was I functioning sooner? YES, but not anywhere near this level!
Hope that answers your question...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:16:26 am »
Hi Kay, did you have a stroke during the AN op, or after, you have done really well i am 20 months post op but still dont feel like going  back to work, i think kids take up most of your energy.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 09:37:46 am »
JFA~
I had a "surgery induced stroke" - I don't know exactly what happened.  I was in the OR for 14 hours and the blood that I had given and that my BIL gave - just as a precaution; "we NEVER use it" - was ALL used!  My doctor said that the more I did, the better I'd get.  I guess I have a really strong drive b/c I really pushed myself.  Like I said, I went back to work at 3 months, got pregnant right after 1 year (oh, had the 12/7 at a year), worked full-time with a baby and then went on to have two more beautiful girlies.  After the second was born, I was able to stay home - I did the Children's Ministry at our church at first, but then I got pregnant w/ my 3rd before my 2nd was 1 so I stopped doing that.  Kids do take a lot of time & energy, but it sure is worth it!!   ;D
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:02:11 pm »
Lisa:

I'm so sorry to learn of your predicament. A coma is highly unusual as a result of AN surgery but of course, not entirely unknown.  I can't offer a definite response to your question (why you're having difficulties) and I don't think anyone but the ENT doctor can answer the question of why he was absent during your surgery.  I sense you're wondering if the ENT doctor's absence is a factor in your post-op complications.  Frankly, that question is probably unanswerable as you cannot prove what could have happened if he had been present in the OR.  That the other doctors proceeded with the surgery is also a question only they can answer, but I can venture a guess that they felt confident enough to perform the operation by themselves and - perhaps - your AN was large enough to warrant immediate removal, but that is only speculation on my part.  I wasn't there.  You need to contact those involved for real answers.

Perhaps you have a lawsuit in the making but I'm neither an attorney or a physician and cannot comment with any credibility on that point.  I will offer you my hope and prayers that your complications soon resolve and that you'll have better days ahead.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:49:52 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:22:42 am »
Lisa,

Your tumor was large and in this range those with large tumors do have a higher risk of facial paralysis and other complications, doctors are now in agreement that facial paralysis increases greatly in those with tumors 1.5 to 2 CM in size.  These AN's are pesky little so and so's, and located in a very delicate area of the head making the surgery difficult.  The post op issues are even more difficult to accept if you have been told by your doctors you will be fine in no time.  Some doctors give you the impression that because these tumors are usually benign, the surgery is no big deal.  The post op issues need to be explained better by the doctors to those whose tumors are large and need to be surgically removed, they need to be more attentive to their patients symptoms. 

It is scary when you realise you won't be getting back to the normal you had known.  We have a "new normal" to get used to post treatment and some more than others.  I hope you will gain more movement, balance, and peace in your life as you continue to push yourself through your rehab exercises.  You have much to deal with and I hope you have loved ones around to help you cope. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear