Author Topic: Three year anniversary  (Read 4568 times)

Jeanlea

Three year anniversary
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:44:15 pm »
Today is the three year anniversary of my AN surgery.  I had been feeling really good, but today I guess I'm reflecting on what I was like before the surgery and I'm a little sad.  I am better than I was right after my surgery.  I can make a smile even if it's not the same as pre-surgery.  My balance has gotten almost back to normal.  I've adapted to taking care of my eye and one-sided vision (at least good vision).  I'm able to work.  Other than a few physical reminders of my surgery my life has returned to normal.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Three year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:53:30 pm »
You are my inspiration Jean. You are three years and I am three months. I am reminded about this dam AN everyday I look in the mirror. My facial recovery has begun but it is sooo slow. Your pictures gave me hope, you have come a long way Jean. You are a fighter and give us newbies hope - thank you for sharing your journey. The sun will still shine every morning and you are here to enjoy it. {{{{{{{Big Cyber Hugs Jean!}}}}}}}}
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:23:28 pm »
Jean -

I can only echo Michelle here - you are an inspiration to all of us.

Don't focus on what has changed for you since your surgery, focus on how far you've come.  Yours is a true success story - so feel happy and very proud  ;D

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 02:59:48 pm »
Jean:

'Happy Anniversary'! 

You've come a very long way and have demonstrated courage and determination that reflects an indomitable spirit that we all admire.  Frankly, you look fine and while you may have 'lost' a few things along your AN journey, I think you've found a few more things of greater value, such as the ability to surmount physical and emotional challenges.  You've also made many friends, here.  I'm pleased to be one of them.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »
Jean~
I totally understand the feelings that you are experiencing - believe me I have been there.  In my opinion, it is OK for you to feel this way every once in a while - because on the whole you are SO ENCOURAGING to others the majority of the time.  I don't think we would be human (much less any good to others) if we didn't feel this way some.  The big difference is that you don't let it rule your world/life, which you most certainly do not!  It is hard not to ever think about how you used to be, but then to remember where you were right after surgery and then where you are today...just give yourself a big pat on the back!!!  What is that saying that I heard that I like so much?  " Flowers have to go through a LOT of dirt to bring joy to others!!"  Thanks for the encouragemant you have given me!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 03:33:40 pm »
Jean -

Congratulations on 3 years!  I hope the sadness you were feeling was just fleeting.  I am constantly amazed by the things you have been able to do and how you don't let your surgery get in the way.  I am also amazed at how good you look.  So don't be sad!  Knowing you have helped so many people should make you happy!

Now, I think some cake is in order!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 04:15:44 pm »
Dear Jean:   I feel the anniversary date is bittersweet.   I know how you are feeling.   Glad to be as far along as you are, but wishing this had never happened.

My feeling is what didn't kill me made me stronger, & appreciative of the life I have.

I personally try to just get through the anniversary dates.   You're 1 year ahead of me.   I do cry on the anniversary dates, twice so far for me. 
But so glad I've gotten as far as I have.
We're survivors Jean, even though it wasn't a 'malignant' tumor, it raised havoc with our lives. 
As someone on the forum said awhile back, (something to the effect),  calling it benign  doesn't cut it, it changed our lives due to the paralysis.

'YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY', & I'm right behind you.

I have been so happy to see your progress (& mine), you give hope to those with paralysis.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 04:21:19 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I knew my friends on here would understand.  Yes, the sadness is fleeting.  I even went out and bought new living room furniture to celebrate.  Now I can celebrate the anniversary of purchasing my new furniture instead of only my AN surgery.   :)
Again, it is so nice to have the friendship of so many people here.  It helps so much.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 04:53:43 pm »
Jean,

Congratulations!!! ;D  I understand where you are coming from.  My 2 year anniversary is on Monday.  Its been a rocky road.  Headaches, facial pain, and depression have been a huge battle for me.  Mine is a facial neuroma and I'm going to need a nerve graft at some point in time.  Your pictures give me hope for a decent recovery.  Your courage and spirit are amazing. 

Yes I agree with Nancy our anniversaries are bittersweet.  I am so grateful for this forum and all of the friends I've made.  The support is amazing!!!

As Daisy says "CHEERS"
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:29:01 pm »
Jean,

Don't get cake on the new furniture!!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 09:11:03 pm »
Congratulations, Jean.

Sadness is not always a bad thing, it is a good emotion to have now and then. Besides ANs, there are numerous events in life that give rise to a little twinge or pang, a remembrance of things that might have been, or a recollection of things that were but are no more. Life has a way of moving along and bringing on changes, even without the AN experience.

On the bright side, we have a great forum here, as this topic shows. It is one part of the AN experience that I am very happy has become a part of my life. Thanks for being part of it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 09:14:23 pm »
Jean,
  You have every right to be a bit morose on your AN aniversery.  I know it been a long road.   Following you progress the last few years has been inspirational for me.  And I know you've given inspiration and hope to others.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 09:35:58 pm »
Happy 3rd Year Anniversary!
Cheers and Hugs.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 03:56:45 am »
Jean,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new furniture and may you celebrate many wonderful years enjoying it.  I think that is a wonderful way to mark your ANniversary!  I wish I had thought of that!! 
I often wonder what my life would be like if I hadn't had the surgery three years ago.  I question whether or not I made the right decision.  I think when we have had a life altering experience like brain surgery we tend to do that.  You have every right to your sadness, but remember and celebrate all of the milestones you have accomplished since that day.....................how is the running and  bike riding??  (My knees look like they did when I was five and that's from a stationary bike!)
Enjoy your day and your new furniture!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jeanlea

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:39:30 pm »
Thanks again to all my AN friends.  I may have lost some movement, but the friends I've gained here have been worth it.  Hugs back to all of you.

Brenda, my running is coming along nicely.  Today I had one of my better times as I ran.  I did my 5K course in 34:20.  Still trying to get in some bike riding while the weather is nice.  Keep going on your bike, and your knees will get better.  Feels good to exercise doesn't it.  Especially when you are done.  lol

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD