Author Topic: how do you live with facial paralysis?  (Read 16552 times)

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
how do you live with facial paralysis?
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:58:28 pm »
Hi all,

Today I had complete annual check-ups and it turned out that I am healthy! so far so good! BUT I am healthy in other than my AN aspect!
I had an appointment with my neurologist today and she explained to me that my AN was so big at first that during the time of its enlargement throughout the years it first put a lot of pressure on my facial nerve and then wrapped around it. That is why when they opened my head my docs did not go further than just taking some piece of my AN out; otherwise they had to severe my facial nerve!
Since I can't live with this lump in - it continues growing, I have my vertigo again, I am undergoing another surgery. And the expected outcome is to wake up with total facial paralysis!

So I have to ask all of you who suffer facial paralysis to explain to me what life is with it! Now I am so down and so upset!!  :-[
But still I know that here on this board there are people who live with it. The first examples that come to my mind are my friends Kaybo and Debbie!

I thought about simple things like taking a shower when having your eye open - I tried it already so as to know what it is like and my eye went red because shampoo came in! How about taking walks? now i can wink all the way but sometimes when there is slight wind outside it gets blurry and red! so how do you cope with not having your cornea dried? i know this is bad, right? what are the consequences after keeping it dry for a longer time? How do you watch movies or use the computer or read books? Especially computers, they dry your eye even if it is healthy, right?

How about speaking when half of your mouth is not moving? how about chewing?  with have some problems chewing on my right AN side and my dentist told me that I have put a lot of pressure on the left healthy jaw and if i continue chewing on this left side it will lead to have my jaw cracking!

These are the things that came to my mind at first. Probably there are even more complicated problems but I do not have experience in this situation! I just want to be prepared when I wake up after the surgery, it is really important what I will get and how I will deal with it!

So please share your experience!
Best
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: how do you live with facial paralysis?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:51:08 pm »
Hey Hrissy. I'll take a stab at some of your questions. Bear in mind that I did not have an AN, I had a microvascular decompression for hemifacial spasm, but the facial paralysis outcome is exactly the same. My facial nerve didn't like being manipulated during the decompression surgery. It was probably stretched farther than it could handle.

First, the eye issue. Arm yourself with plenty of drops and ointment. My favorites are Refresh Liquigel drops and Refresh PM ointment. At first, I just slathered on the ointment and put on a pirate patch from the pharmacy. That keeps the cornea well-lubricated. Later on I still used the Refresh PM ointment but left the patch off during the day. My good eye compensated for the blurry vision and I found my overall vision was good enough even to drive. At night it is still important to wear the patch to protect the cornea from being bumped or scratched while you sleep.

I suggest going back for an eyelid weight implant as soon as you can after your AN surgery. It just makes life so much easier. I have a thin profile platinum weight. My ophthalmologist doesn't even use gold weights because of the risk of allergic reaction. He does not think the platinum chains are worth the added expense and thinks that tissue may grow up into the links making removal harder down the road.

When you take a shower you can put a layer of ointment in first and keep your back to the spray as much as possible. Once you get an eyelid weight that helps a lot. For walks, either wear a patch or get a pair of moisture chamber goggles. For sunglasses you can try www.7eye.com (check their clearance section). For clear lenses try Onion Goggles. You can order them from www.amazon.com. I understand you can also get motorcycle goggles from a Harley shop that serve the same purpose. They will have foam liners to keep the wind out.

Since you know you are going to have the facial nerve severed, you can have a 12-7 jump performed at the same time. That would give you the fastest recovery. As I understand it, you can expect movement to begin six to nine months after surgery, and can expect final results in the House Brackmann 2 - 3 range.

My speech was pretty bad immediately after surgery, but at three months post-op is at a level where nobody but me can tell a difference. Even my son's speech therapist says I am doing great. It feels funny to make the sounds "F" "B" and "P" but otherwise I'm getting along fine.

Eating was more difficult at first mostly because I could not open my mouth far enough to take a bite, but my mouth has relaxed enough to eat most things without a problem. If I need to, I just cut things into little bitty bites. I find drinking to be more of a problem than eating. I still use a straw most of the time, but I can drink out of a cup with a lot of concentration. Bottles are very difficult as I can't pucker right. At the gym I have to pour water into my mouth instead of drinking from the bottle.

I was completely unprepared to come out of surgery with facial paralysis and I was devastated. Now that I have lived with it for three months, I still don't like it but I've come to terms with it and accept the fact that I can do nothing but wait for the next year or so.

I guess my major recommendations are to find out if you can do a simultaneous nerve jump and schedule an eyelid implant as soon as possible.

Best wishes.
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:18:27 pm »
Hrissy~
I am sorry that it was such a downer of a day for you!  I wish that I was there to give you a great big HUG!!!!  In a way, at least you know so that you can prepare, but it still really stinks!  What is the saying "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!"  Maybe it will be different than they think when they get in there and you will be pleasantly surprised when you wake up!  For me, I just really don't think about it much.  This is the way I am and there is not a lot I can do about it so people either have to accept me like I am or not be my friend.  Do I want to look like this? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!  But I have to make the most of it.  The main reason I did the T3 was so that my GIRLIES can have a family picture where I kind of look normal  - not because I HAD to try to make my face look better - heck, half the time I never even get make-up on!!  LOL!!!  I think that Sara hit some good points.  I would DEFINITELY reccommend an eye weight - take it from someone who didn't have one for 7 years - it makes ALL the difference in the world!!  I just put stuff (used to Refrest PM before the weight and now Systane during the day & Refresh at night) in as soon as I can tell it is getting dry/red.  My vision gets blurry - I have no feeling.  Yes, I have had a lot of trouble but it has NOTHING to do with me caring for it this way - it is almost always an eyelash that grows inward & scratches it.  I do not wear anything on it at night - it closes b/c of the weight.  After a shower, i just goop it up , but again, the weight helps me to close it.  I even swim underwater - I don't open my eyes, but I am sure water gets in...As for the chewing, it does take some time & effort to kind of retrain yourself to SLOW DOWN  and concentrate so you don't chew your mouth up.  Like Sara, I almost always use a straw, but I don't HAVE to anymore.  Obviously, I ONLY chew on one side - it has been almost 13 years and my jaw hasn't cracked yet (knock on wood) - I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there!  As Phyl always says, "day by day...inch by inch" (is that right phyl?).  You can only do what you can do - you have the choice - you can be happy or sad in the shoes you wear, but you have to put something on every day!!
You know we will be here for you - it is not always easy, but it can be done!! 
Love ya!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:01:55 pm »
Hrissy -

Great advice from the others so far.

I'll just add that I had my tear ducts cauterized on my AN side.  My doctor explained it as "if you want the water to stay in the sink, you have to plug the drain.  If you want the water to stay in your eye, you have the plug that drain".  It was worked very well for me.  They also use silicone plugs, but we decided since I have dry eyes to begin with, the cauterization would be better.  I don't use drops during the day at all, unless something gets in there, like an eyelash or dust or something.  I use gel at night, but no patch.  My eye will close most of the way - it just doesn't blink.

As far as the wind, I never leave home without my sunglasses.  I guess I haven't been out walking in the wind in the dark yet, because I don't recall having a problem.  The shower - well, for the first few weeks I used baby shampoo - the no tears kind, so when I got it in my eye, it didn't hurt.  Then I got one of those hand held shower things - so I could direct the spray away from my eye.  To wash the extra night time gel out, I just hold the lid closed while I aim the shower spray that way.

Eating can still be tough sometimes, but I do the same as Sara and Kay - just cut everything into small bites and go slow.  I always keep a stash of straws with me, but I've figured out how to drink without one.  Takes a bit more concentration, but makes me feel a little more normal - especially when I had to get a straw to drink my coffee with at Starbucks!

As far as the dental issues, I have had some problems with my bite and my teeth on my good side.  There's just a lot of pressure on that one side now and I had TMJ to begin with, so I think that probably didn't help.  I just make sure to be very careful about brushing/flossing/rinsing and going to the dentist regularly, so if there's a problem starting, we can catch it early.

I'll be having the 7-12 next month, and I realize I'll be back to ground zero for a little while, but at least I know what to expect this time around.  I'll stock up on the straws and eye drops now!

And as you can see, none of these issues have kept us off the computer!  Somehow, you just seem to find a way to deal with these things as they come your way.

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:24:44 pm »
Lori~
I still drink out of a straw at Starbuck's - they just know to give me one (can we say too many Latte's <you know that is the Pick-a-Weenie's name, don't you?>).  For me, the LIDS that they put on the coffee is what gives me trouble - but I really like having the lid on!  There is another coffee shop here that I actually go to more often and their lids have these niffy little, sliding things that close - those are REALLY hard to drink from for me.  I think it is because they are a bit thicker to accommodate the slidy thing!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:04:11 am »
Hello Hrissy.           I had facial neuroma in 2006.     I am a NF2er so this was one of my 3 ANs I have had.         My surgeon  is a neurologist at the Univ of Iowa which is in the midwest of the US.
   He told me ahead that the nerve may be severed and they would then just go ahead and take some nerve from below my ear and graft in.         This did have to be done.         My recovery from my surgery was just like regular AN surgery as was a trans lab except had longer incision.       I did have a CSF leak 2 weeks later but it was not due to the nerve graft but they had used a new product to help hold things in place and 3 people got leaks.    They went back to the colloidal implant they had used previously.                         I was told it would be around 8 months to get improvement in the face and that was about it with continued improvement.         I do not have complete movement but enough that look ok at rest.                   Yes I did have to put up with the facial paralysis.             In fact this was my 2nd time as had some after my first AN surgery in 2001.          Many people get gold weights but I never have as got along good enough with just keeping the eye lubricated.                You do learn to cope with it.     I have always chewed some on that side,it is just trickier.     I was back to work in 2 months as a nurse and did fine.     Many people here can give you their own version of what worked best for them.           It is not something we like but we do manage to live with and I knew that it was supposed to improve in time and it did.              I am 56 now so much older and think that makes a difference in coping with it.               I would have done worse emotionally if this had happened when I was young.
    Anyway asking whoever does your surgery if they know how to do this is important.   My surgeon does around 60 AN surgeries a year and has for many years.
          You have thru a great deal and hope all goes well for you in the end.
                                                   Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 09:57:15 am »
Sorry to hear about your issues, Hrissy.  My paralysis is a little different.  I do have some movement, but I also have synkinesis.  But to address your concerns, eating and drinking have always been the biggest challenge -- especially drinking through a straw.  For the first few months, my eye was a huge problem until I started getting movement in my lid.  The sun is blinding -- especially in the winter when it's low on the horizon.  To this day, I never go out without sunglasses.  And I still use Systane drops daily.  Initially, for about three months, I wore a black patch over my eye if I knew I was going to be away from home for any length of time.  It's also taken awhile to learn to speak clearly and not like I had a mouthful of mush.  But I've adapted.  Of course, my biggest loss is my smile. That was my number one attribute -- my weapon.  It's hard to be charming without it  ;).  But as my hero Kay says, you can only do what you can do and make the best of it like she has.  She's my inspiration.  If I ever get frustrated with what I'm dealing with, I think about what she's gone through for 20 some years.  And if she says it can be done -- it can be done.
Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 10:00:14 am »
Now David,

I've never even met you, but still think you're charming - full smile or not! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 11:14:12 am »
Hi David , did i read you were a actor, would i have seen you in anything? my fav. is king of queens LOVED IT ESP ARTHUR LOL
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:27:38 pm »
Ah pshaw, Lori.  You brightened my morning.

And Jazzfunkanne -- yes, I am an actor -- or at least I was.  My face is not cooperating at the moment.  I'm mainly a commercial and print actor and Jack Nicholson's Stand In.  But as far as seeing me -- I had a small part on Transformers playing "The President" on Air Force.  I say "Kin I have a Ding-Dong, Lil darlin?" to the flight attendant.  I played Paul Lowrey, the first murder victim on Woman's Murder Club, Ralph Buchanan (Sean Astin's dad) on an episode of Monk called "Mr Monk, At Your Service", played a minister trying to marry Reba's kids on Reba, played an immitation of Jack Hanna on Joey, played the Bank Manager in a movie called "The Girl Next Door", I was a doctor on an old soap called Sunset Beach and a bunch of other stuff on shows like Providence, Criminal Minds, Martial Law, Alias and SitComs that I don't even remember their names.  They all tend to get jumbled together.  It's an odd world.  And while I was writing all that I started thinking maybe this break from it isn't so bad afterall.

1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 01:56:36 pm »
Just for the record, I think you're charming too, David  ;D

I'm going to find our DVD of Transformers this afternoon and watch you.  I didn't know you were the President!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 02:50:44 pm »
David~
I still haven't gotten to see Transformers, when I said you were the President, my friend immediately said your line!!  You have a "one liner!!"   :o   Boy, you sure know how to make a girl feel good - my faith and my family & friends have certainly helped on this journey - especially Dave!  I think that mostly I just don't have time to think about my face!  HOWEVER, I have only dealt with this for almost 13 years - don't get me older than I am!!   ;D  I just told "Debrain Dallas" that if she does go to House that you would come visit her -- then I would be jealous b/c she would get to meet you and I still haven't!!   ;)
Have a good day - it is BEAUTIFUL here and I am itching to get outside - we've been at volleyballl all day!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 04:14:23 pm »
I didn't mention Transformers before?  It was such as small part that I may not have.  It's when one of the bad bots gets loose on Air Force One.  I'm lying on the Presidential bed.  You see more of my red socks than you do me.  A funny story about that.  Michael Bay was the director.  He changes things and creates as he goes along -- a very bright but tempermental guy.  Originally Wardrobe had me lying there in very traditional shoes and socks.  Michael changes everything so that I am impersonating Bush -- to an extent.  He tells Wardrobe to go out and get Cowboy Boots and a bunch of colored socks.  They bring the socks back and Michael and I sat there on the bed going through them all to pick which ones looked the craziest.  The red socks won.  Then as I was laying on the bed, he choreographed my feet to move the way he wanted them to move.  A very odd moment.  There was a lot more footage shot to that scene -- originally it was supposed to be serious -- I had some other line.  Then Michael changed it into a farce.  It took two days to shoot that little snipet -- I think just about two years ago to the day.  By the way, that scene was shot on a mock-up of Air Force One on an enormous sound stage in Playa del Rey that used to be the hanger where Howard Hughes built the Spruce Goose.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 04:17:12 pm »
Oh and sorry Kay.  I know you were around 24 when you had your surgery -- I was thinking 24 years ago for some reason.  Bad David.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 05:06:28 pm »
I remember Sunset Beach, shucks am I that old?

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games