Author Topic: eye patches from heaven...  (Read 3457 times)

calimama

eye patches from heaven...
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:48:49 am »
ok, so i finally got around to ordering a few patches from Eye Patch Heaven and thought i would share my thoughts for those interested.

I ordered 3, but am only keeping one. The patches are well made, good details, and look great (bye bye black pirate patches!)

I ordered all with the clear plastic straps (nice! comfy, looks way better than black). I ordered 17" and 18". The 18 is perfect for me, certainly anything smaller would be too tight. I don't think my head is so big, average. I thought i was playing it safe with 18" and might end up putting a knot in the back to take up the slack. NOT.

The patch i am keeping has the pattern "pacific tradewinds" (now i just need a margarita!) and it's very nice oh the whole. A bit dressy, sutle but not totally boring. This one is designed for "no glasses" (which i don't wear). It is the triangle shape. The triangle is smaller than the drug store/walmart black patches i have been using, but not too small, and fits pretty well, though not quite as well as the bigger ones i use now. I am happy with the size and shape overall of the patch itself.

I will return for exchange the (unopened) way to small "small" sized one i ordered in dress grey (ordered 17" for this one, which i think would too tight for me). It looks great (except to me it seems not much bigger than a beer cap). I thought smaller would be better, less obvious, but i think it is way too small to give good coverage for an adult (in my opinion). I like the "dress grey" colour/design and will be exchanging for another 18" triangle (no glasses) in this colour.

The third patch i ordered, also a small so no good was in the "blue periwinkle" design. It is cute, but i prefer the less flashy, neutral designs. Unfortunately i opened the package to try it on ... bad move as now i cannot return. I have to say the patch size is good for Cali, so i will hold onto this in case she needs it one of these days!

Thanks again Steve for forwarding info on this site and Michelle for her insights, and all for your thoughts on this topic.

ps> i did see the opthamologist yesterday and will update on this in a separate post.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

lori67

Re: eye patches from heaven...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:06:22 pm »
Maybe Cali can be a "Periwinkle Pirate" for Halloween!  Who says pirates have to wear black eye patches all the time?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:48:24 pm »
Trish~
As the mother of 3 girlies - always keep ANYTHING that has potential to be "dress-up" - they will put it to good use!!  ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:19:41 am »
YEAH for pretty patches!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »
Okay, I want pictures!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU