Author Topic: Age 65+  (Read 3067 times)

Zoe

Age 65+
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:45:38 pm »
Is anyone aware of a person 65 or older who has had surgery for AN?  (successful surgery, that is, obviously.)  I am getting mixed messages about this.  I was diagnosed in late July and have gone to 4 doctors for opinions.  One in particular thought it was not advisable for someone over 65 to have surgery because of all the possible complications.  Another dr. said that after the age of 65 that about 40% of the people diagnosed with AN do not have any more growth to the tumor anyway.   So he thought it would be unadvisable to consider radiation since that only stops the growth of the tumor and there's a good chance it has already stopped growing.  Of course, I could always wait and have another MRI to see if it is growing or not.  But I am getting very anxious with this waiting game and it has only been 5 weeks.  How could I ever wait months and months to get another MRI.  I know there are lots of factors that need to be considered, e.g., size, location, health of the person, etc.  But in general, I was just wondering if there was another "old-timer" out there who braved having surgery --- and lived to tell the tale!  And was glad they did it, too!   I am in good physical health (and mental, too, I think) and have a relatively small tumor of 1.7 cm that is growing out of the auditory canal toward the brain. 

Thanks for your responses to this question.   
Zoe
Diagnosed 7/28/08 with 1.7 cm X .6 cm AN in left ear
Some hearing loss
Researching and praying to find a good doctor in northeast OH asap

Patti

Re: Age 65+
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:47:39 am »
do you have any symptoms yet?  what lead you to the diagnosis?  i would be the worst candidate for watching and waiting!  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:36:03 am »
Zoe~
I had my surgery almost 13 years ago.  The summer(1.5 years) after I had surgery, I ran into a family that I knew from another town (at a y baseball play-off) and the GRANDMOTHER who was in her 70's or 80's had had AN surgery from the same Dr. in Houston that I did.  He went ahead & did it because she was so active and had no other health problems.  I remember this b/c it was very hard for me as a 26 year old with a permanently paralyzed face and recovering from a stroke to see an 70-80 year old woman who'd basically lived her life, have NO residual effects what so ever!  Her tumor was much smaller than mine.  Now, I am happy for her that she had it easy - it was easier for me to bounce back at my age than her - but at the time, I was really discouraged!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:50:32 am »
Zoe,

You've been getting some bad advice. 65 is not considered old for AN surgery, in fact at House Cliinic it is relatively young. What's more important is your overall health otherwise. For your small AN, If your health is otherwise good, you are an excellent surgical candidate in experienced hans.

I had translab at 61, for a small tumor. I asked if my age was a factor, and was told by Dr. Brackmann that they consider that relativlely young for AN pts. I had an excellent result.

Regards

Sam
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Zoe

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:04:02 pm »
Thanks for your opinions.  I thought that from what I've read, most "older" people choose the radiation rather than surgery for treatment.  Radiation scares me since I was told that it never leaves your body and that CK has not been around long enuf to do any long term studies yet to see what the complications 15 or 20 years down the road might be.  I'm hoping to live at least another 25 years and that's on the conservative side, I hope. 

Are not most people diagnosed between the ages of 30 and 60?   

As of now, my only symptoms are 50% hearing loss on the left side and tinnitus and . . . now anxiety big time.  In this waiting period, I think I tend to start imagining other symptoms, but I think it is just that I am now looking for them, e.g., occasional facial strange feelings a couple times.  Anybody know what I mean about this?  Maybe it is the power of suggestion? 

Questions, questions, questions!
Zoe
Some hearing loss

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:54:46 pm »
Hi, Zoe,

I was 59 when I had Translab and BAHA implant surgery at House this past January. My neuroma was small (about 1.3 cm), but had very gradually affected my hearing over the years; same with my balance, which was really a blessing since the loss had been so gradual (and my brain had ample time to make the adjustment) that I had no balance/dizziness, etc. issues whatsoever either before or after surgery. The only post-surgical "problem" I encountered was fatigue, which steadily improved during the first few months after surgery. I personally did not consider radiation as a treatment option, but that's just my opinion ... and you'll certainly find many satisfied proponents of that approach on this forum. At almost 8 months post surgery, I can truthfully say that I seldom think about my acoustic neuroma except when I check onto this forum.

While I don't consider myself an "old-timer," I realize that I'm among the older crowd on this Forum -- I would guess that most posters are in their 30s, 40s, and maybe a few in their early 50s. My health is excellent and my age was never an issue -- by either me or my physicians -- when I considered my AN treatment. You might think about sending your MRI to House Ear Clinic for a phone consultation (details are on their website) and ask for an opinion on the age issue when you talk with the responding doctor. It seems to me that if you're in good health you should certainly be a candidate for treatment. Best wishes as you continue your research.

JerseyGirl2

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:13:00 am »
Hi Zoe,

"Radiation scares me since I was told that it never leaves your body" is what you posted, but I'm not sure this is correct and wondering if this information came from a doctor? 

Welcome? and very sorry about your diagnosis.  Try your best to let more months go by before you make that decision on how you will treat as it is very real your tumor may stop growing and your anxiety about it being in there may subside to a "manageable" level. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Zoe

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:43 am »
Hi Arushi,

Yes, it was a doctor that told me that radiation never leaves the body.  He is highly respected and several times has been referred to on this forum.  So I don't know.  It is so baffling to me to get conflicting opinions from different doctors.   Thanks for your words of encouragement.
Some hearing loss

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:31:57 pm »
Zoe,
 Most ANs are diagnosed in the 5th and 6th decade, so I would think you would be considered a patient of normal age for those diagnosed with AN.
 Once we're diagnosed with AN, I think it's only normal to begin attributing various "symptoms" as potentially due to the AN.  Even  things that you may not have paid much attention to before being diagnosed, you now ask yourself, "Is this AN related?".  This is one of the joys of being an AN patient  :)   
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 04:40:30 pm »
Hi, Zoe:

FWIW:  I was 63 years old when I was diagnosed and treated.  I underwent both surgery and radiation with an excellent outcome (see my 'signature').  Today, at 65, I'm fine.  My neurosurgeon and radiation oncologist never mentioned my age as a factor in either procedure.  I was (and remain) in good health with no underlying medical problems, probably much like you.

I believe you're running into individual doctor's biases and possible misconceptions regarding acoustic neuromas.  Perhaps a 6-month observation period would be useful - but only if you can deal with the possible anxiety involved.  I would suggest you keep looking until you find a doctor with real experience dealing with ANs.  They are relatively uncommon and not every doctor is familiar with them or the  treatment options now available. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:08 pm »
Hi Zoe,

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about the AN. I hope you listen to what Jim and others have said, and take  enough time to find out what your options really are, and what the pros and cons are, and what doctors are available, before you make your decision. Don't rush into anything.

I have to comment on the "radiation never leaves your body" statement, it is just the way I am. I'm sure there was some misunderstanding, because the statement doesn't make sense. Cyberknife radiation treatment, for instance, uses x-rays, just like a dentist x-ray or a mammogram does. The x-rays pass right through your body and out the other side immediately.

While radiation treatment is not for everybody, it is certainly a reasonable choice, and I would hate for you to pass up considering it based on misinformation or a misunderstanding. Maybe the doctor meant that the radiated AN itself is still inside you? That is true; it just withers and dies, but is not physically removed.

Any way, take care,

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.