Author Topic: Pain and depression  (Read 8923 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Pain and depression
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 07:48:15 pm »
I just want to reiterate what Jim and Poz said.  All AN patients are different.

I'm about 17 months post op and I don't experience headaches - other than the normal, everyday headaches that everyone gets on occasion.  Same goes for pre op, also.

Go I guess the answer to headaches and ANs is "it all depends"  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:53 pm »
I had HORRIBLE headaches BEFORE my AN surgery but RARELY get one now!!  For me, I got that big ole tumor out of my head and wa-la!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 09:13:46 pm »
Cheri,

I had migraine headaches before, but the ones I experience now occurred immediately after surgery and are more intense.  I would take a very strong pain killer or two, gravol and sleep off the migraine.  Sometimes I would vomit and the migraine would last a few days.  I had triggers.  The headaches I have now are daily, with no triggers.  Some days its just a dull ache and other days it is shear pain.  When I experience facial pain and a headache together my bed and I are bestest friends :'(, because I am vile, upset and I can't function. 

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:01:05 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 02:13:24 pm »
Hi Cheri.  I was having pretty intense headaches before the surgery and have been prone to them since my teens.  The severe pain started immediately post-op, was also associated with nausea, and has slowly gotten better over time.  I did have some additional, very rare, complications which are probably related to the headaches, so certainly not everybody gets them.  I'm so glad to hear you have not had any!  Take good care!  Karen
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

hannie

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 02:18:15 am »
Cheri:

Allow me to echo staypoz's observation that everyone's experience is different.  Although I underwent retosigmoid surgery, then FSR (3 months later), I did not experience headaches as a result of either procedure.  However, I know from the messages on this forum that post-op or post-rad headaches are not uncommon.  I sympathize with those who suffer these headaches and I pray for their relief.

Jim

Hi Jim

I just wondered what FSR was? I'm still trying to pick up the AN lingo!

Hannie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 06:07:44 am »
Hannie -

I believe FSR stands for Fractionated Sterotactic Radiation.

Correct, Jim?

But I don't know how it differs (if it does) from CK or GK.  Can you help me out with this one?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 06:33:14 am »
Hannie -

I believe FSR stands for Fractionated Sterotactic Radiation.

Correct, Jim?

But I don't know how it differs (if it does) from CK or GK.  Can you help me out with this one?

Jan

Hi Jan (and all)

the key word is "fractionated", which means they break it up over a number of days/doses. Typically, GK is a single day/dose, thus, not deemed "fractionated" (although, there is on-going studies, esp. by Dr. Noren in Providence, who is playing around with "fractionated" GK... not sure of his outcomes/data on this).

Hope that helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"