Author Topic: Brain Lab  (Read 3657 times)

Zoe

Brain Lab
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:21:59 am »
Hi all,

Yesterday I had a 3rd consultation - this time with Dr. Chen at Allegheny Gen Hosp in Pittsburgh.  He mentioned using the Brain Lab for radiation.  Said it was somewhat comparable to the cyberknife.  Is anyone familiar with the Brain Lab?  Pro's and con's of its use?  comparison to CK? 

Dr. Chen felt the cyberknife treatment has not been done for enuf yrs to really know what the effects would be down the road over the many years of my life that I hopefully have left.  The same would be true for the Brain Lab, if I understood him correctly. 

Any thoughts on this?  Any experience with this?
Thanx,
Zoe
Diagnosed 7/28/08 with 1.7 cm X .6 cm AN in left ear
Some hearing loss
Researching and praying to find a good doctor in northeast OH asap

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Brain Lab
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:26:54 am »
Zoe,
  I believe Brain Lab is a type or brand of LINAC (linear accelerator), if that's any help in your research.  From what I've heard and read, both CK and GK have better accuracy than LINAC. 
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:33:23 am »
Hi Zoe,
I am not familiar with Brain Lab although I have heard of it but I thought I'd put in my two cents anyway.  When I was considering the possibility of  stereotactic surgery my doctor recommended GK over everything else.  He feels is time tested and the most accurate.  I don't know if this helps but thought I'd let you know.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Zoe

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 07:36:50 am »
Thanks for the info. 

Wendy, is your Dr. Chen by any chance the one from Allegheny Gen Hosp in Pittsburgh?
Diagnosed 7/28/08 with 1.7 cm X .6 cm AN in left ear
Some hearing loss
Researching and praying to find a good doctor in northeast OH asap

stevek

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:10:23 am »
Zoe,

I'm not familiar with Brain lab so I couldn't help you there.  But I am familiar with Dr. Chen. He had to make an emergency scrub in for my 16 hour Translab back in June.  He ended up assisting for over 4 hours identifying the facial nerve at its root entry zone at the brain stem, and removed a significant bulk of the tumor.  Like most of us that have had a highly successful surgery, I consider my surgeons the absolute best.  They saved my life.  Do your research to come up with what is best for you.  If you choose Allegheny General, you will NOT be disappointed.  Let me know if I can help answer any questions.

Stevek
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:18:45 pm »
Zoe:

To the best of my admittedly limited knowledge regarding radiation techniques, 'BrainLab' is imaging hardware (and software) that is supposed to make 'mapping' and executing the radiation beams more precise.  I believe it does work with LINAC. I have no idea of how accurate or efficient this system is.  You would have to ask and trust your doctor for that kind of information.  FWIW:  I underwent FSR in 2006 and it was very successful, but, as we always say: 'every case is different'.  Well, I always say it, anyway.  :)

I would certainly look into this and ask your doctor more about it.  Here's a website for 'BrainLab':
http://www.brainlab.com/scripts/website_english.asp?menuDeactivate=1&articleID=2516&articleTypeID=27 

I trust this will shed some light on this technology for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:28:25 pm »
Hi Zoe:

I would not put CK and BrainLab in the same bucket. CK has been around 10 years or so; BrainLab sounds like something new in the last year. GK has been around for 30 years or so. The long term effect of radiation treatment doesn't really depend on the equipment used, and all indications are that long term risks are very low. The main differences lie in how much they effect nerve function, and the chances of significant side effects in the first year or two.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 11:04:19 pm »
Hi all,

Yesterday I had a 3rd consultation - this time with Dr. Chen at Allegheny Gen Hosp in Pittsburgh.  He mentioned using the Brain Lab for radiation.  Said it was somewhat comparable to the cyberknife.  Is anyone familiar with the Brain Lab?  Pro's and con's of its use?  comparison to CK? 
Thanx,
Zoe

Here is information from the Novalis Website
http://www.poweringhope.com/scripts/website_english_novalis.asp?menuDeactivate=1&pageTypeID=20&articleTypeID=192&articleID=2017

What is the history of Novalis?
In 1951, the use of focused high-energy radiation for the treatment of brain disorders was introduced by Lars Leksell, a physician at the Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm, Sweden. Clinical applications began in 1967 with the introduction of cobalt radiation sources. Since inception, the technology’s precision and possibilities, and the number of clinical conditions that can be treated, have greatly increased. The Novalis system was introduced in 1997. The Novalis Program builds upon the possibilities and precision of these early systems. With Novalis Shaped Beam Surgery, doctors use computerized and highly sophisticated software to develop a customized treatment plan that is specially adapted to your individual needs. Novalis Tx contains the new generation of technologies from Varian and BrainLAB, building upon the strong technology and clinical experience of Novalis Shaped Beam Surgery.
What types of conditions can be treated with Novalis?
Depending on your particular case, the Novalis Program may be the right treatment option for you. Novalis Shaped Beam Surgery and Novalis Tx can be used to treat non-cancerous and cancerous conditions such as:

Arteriovenous malformations (AVM)
Cavernous angiomas
Trigeminal neuralgia
Intractable seizures
Parkinson’s disease
Brain metastases
Low and high grade gliomas
Vestibular schwanomas
Uveal melanomas
Neurofibromas 
Spinal tumors
Lung tumors
Liver tumors
Prostate tumors

What are the benefits of treatment with Novalis or Novalis Tx?

There are several reasons why you might want to request treatment with Novalis or Novalis Tx. They are:

Extremely precise and radiation damage to normal tissue is minimized
Ensure that the tumor or lesion receives an even distribution of the prescribed radiation dose by shaping the beam to accurately match the outline of the tumor or lesion
Are optimized to deliver radiosurgery in the shortest possible time, averaging 15 minutes, preventing errors due to minor movements during long treatments
Are one of the most technologically advanced technologies for radiation treament procedures available today
Are non-invasive, with only minor incisions for cranial halo procedures
Are painless and treatment is usually performed on an out-patient basis
What should I expect at my treatment session?

You don’t need to bring special clothing or equipment to the hospital for treatment with Novalis. You might want to dress comfortably and bring a book or something else to keep you busy during the waiting periods. You may also bring a friend or a relative with you and he / she may stay with you during the day. However, during the actual treatment procedure, your companion will have to leave the treatment room. Please make sure to arrange for transportation home as you might feel tired after the treatment; driving is not recommended. Novalis allows a complete treatment session to take place in a single-day, although your doctor will decide if your treatment should be administered in a single dose.

PDF
About Acoustic TumorsAbout AVMsAbout Chordomas and ChondrosarcomasAbout MeningiomasAbout Metastatic Brain TumorsAbout Primary Malignant Brain TumorsAbout Trigeminal NeuralgiaThe Brain and Brain CancerThe Spine and Spine Cancer

©2008 BrainLAB AG. All rights reserved
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:09:34 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:12:30 pm »
It was too much for one post....
http://www.brainlab.com/scripts/website_english.asp?menuDeactivate=0&articleID=2537&articleTypeID=21&pageTypeID=6&article_short_headline=BrainLAB%20technology%20featured%20in%20US%20hospital%20documentary

BrainLAB technology featured in US hospital documentary

July 28, 2008 – ABC recently launched a new six-part hospital documentary called 'Hopkins', which follows the professional lives of surgeons, staff and patients at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, US.

As well as providing a first-hand look at the high-stress situations faced by medical professionals each day, the series reveals some of the specialized technology used to treat certain patients.

In the first episode, Neurosurgeon Dr Quinones shows how BrainLAB planning and navigation technology is used to enhance patient treatment.

Viewers in the US who missed it the first time can watch the complete first episode (and others) online at hopkins.abcnews.com. Viewers outside will be able to view the trailer and learn more about the series.

Hopkins is a follow-up to the critically acclaimed ABC Special 'Hopkins 24/7' first shown in 2000.

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/