Author Topic: bad taste in mouth  (Read 17938 times)

marcy

bad taste in mouth
« on: December 30, 2005, 06:33:26 pm »
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how long the awful taste lasts.  It has been 7 months since my Translab
surgery.

Thanks,
Marcy

matti

Re: bad taste in mouth
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 06:54:38 pm »
Hi Marcy -  I am 7 years post-op and I had the "taste" for probably 7-9 months the first year. I will still get it occasionally, once or twice a month for a 1day. I really don't know what brings it on and have tried to keep a journal of what I did or ate that might trigger it. Still a mystery!

have a great day!
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

stein78

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 09:40:13 pm »
Mine lasted about4 months or so.   8)
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 11:45:03 pm »
Mine was continuous until about the 4 month mark. I find that certain foods still taste bad though, especially salty foods.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

marcy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:03:12 pm »
Thanks for all you input.  I cannot drink carbonated drinks and popcorn has an awful taste.

Marcy

Angela

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 01:03:32 pm »
I started having a metallic taste in my mouth about 8 months before the tumor was discovered.  I was also in my 2nd trimester of pregnancy, so I figured it was 'part of the package'.

The metallic taste isn't as prevalent now, 11 months post-op.  However, it does flare up sometimes and I don't know why either.  Brushing my teeth several times per day and gargling do help mask the problem but not get rid of it.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

Katja

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 03:15:35 am »
Hi Marcy
I had metallic taste in my mouth after surgery. Eating chocolate with metallic taste that's quite awful! Doctor told me that it is just because of the nerve getting sensitive... Anyway after I had my second surgery for CSF leak it just dissapeared, on my second surgery they removed all the stuff from my ear and they closed the canal towards to the nose... Anyway I hope you get rid of it soon and for sure not to need any extra surgery!!! Try to eat some lemon maybe it will dissapear it....  ???
3.5cm tumor right side. Oper. Jun04 lost hearing, CSF leak oper. Sep04 & Mar05. :-*

thecakes

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 06:40:34 pm »
   I hear so much about a bad taste in the mouth.  Is that because you have no sulivia?  I have no sulivia and I am dry 24-7.  Its been3 years and I'm still waiting for this to go away.

RadiantStar

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 09:12:31 pm »
Somewhere, and my memory fails me :PI read that that metal taste is a sign the facial nerve is healing.  My last doctor visit, I mentioned that metallic taste and he just looked at me. 

The taste comes/goes has no rhyme or reason.  Food tastes better than it did a month ago, and I actually have saliva, and before it seemed my mouth was continuosly dry and sticky on the right (surgery)  side. 

Honestly, though after the 3 months prior to surgery when the whole right side was numb, and I couldn't taste ANYthing, I'll opt for this any day.

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 10:16:54 pm »
Radiant Star, It sounds like you and I are in the same place post-op.  I had late onset facial weakness, not paralysis.  I am in week 12 and still have the metallic taste.  It is a wee bit better this week than last.  The numbness comes and goes on the tip of my tongue now as opposed to big time numbness along the whole side and middle.  Sometimes I ask myself if it is salty or metallic, but who cares.  It is there and hopefully diminshing. 

In the beginning I asked my doctor about the taste and his response was "Facial weakness and odd tastes are from the same source, and are temporary...This will go away in time."  So I am hanging on with my appetite and water bottle, and good teeth cleaning.  I have noticed since week 9 my mouth is not dry in the morning.  Saliva production has something to do with the improvement.  Can you smell most things?  I haven't had trouble with the smell sense, thank goodness!

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 10:21:53 pm »
At least I am at the point where I just go ahead and eat whatever I want and ignore the metallic tastes in between.  I find that after a few minutes into a meal, the good tastes flatten out and I get the numb or stinging sensation back.  So my husband says eat often and fast. There is always a way to engineer things. ::)

RadiantStar

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 06:38:39 pm »
Hey Boppie

You and I must be eatin' the same nails....that's what I imagine nails taste like :D
It's 3 months, well almost 3 1/2 now.  Food, ummmmmmm yum.  I bet you're numbness will get better in no time.  As for the numbness, I'm happy just to brush my teeth and actually feel the inside of my mouth.  Back before surgery, I couldn't even feel the inside of my nose, I think it dried up too....yucky feeling, but it's fully functional and even runs sometimes.  Sorry to be so graphic.

Hang in there Boppie, when food starts tasting good to you, I'll take you out to lunch sometime....well cyber-lunch at the very least.  How does icecream taste to you?

Boppie

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 06:52:09 pm »
Actually chocolate and milk and ice cream and mexican food all taste normal but the buds only work well for about 10 minutes, then I get numb again.  Same old story the nerves are weak and they get tired quickly.  If this is the way recovery goes, then I can't gripe.  I'd sure like to read some detailed descriptions of tongue nerve recoveries.  Heck, who worries about graphic.  When you are in this AN world you just have to "deal". 

My own brother, who has a colostomy, tells me that all of the time.  He says I'd give up both my ears to not have to live with this colostomy in my abdomen.  So how to complain?  Only brothers can say things like that, huh?  Life is good. :)

I will think of you every morning, and we should write from time to time.

matti

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 07:13:02 pm »
Does salt bother anyone? Since my surgery (almost 8 years) I can not tolerate salt, even in the slightest amounts.  :P

Radiantstar - Thats it! you hit the nail on the head (sorry I couldn't resist) the taste of nails, seriously that's what I've been tasting all these years and I couldn't put my finger on it.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

luv2teachsped

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 08:07:56 pm »
How different yet alike we are!   I still have metallic taste(10 mo post-op) and eat anyways.  But I have always been a confirmed ice cream nut!  and I rarely eat it anymore because it just doesn't taste that good.Yet..unlike Mattie, I crave salt.  In all my 48 years I have really never been a "chip" eater, now I crave salt and vinegar kettle cooked chips.  I have ate two bags in the last few months!  More that I have eaten probaly in my whole life! Go figure!luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07