Author Topic: New here  (Read 13608 times)

coug70_99

New here
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:13:51 am »
I just found this web site and can't thank you all enough. I am the main caregiver for my husband of 26 years. He spent 9 years looking for a diagnosis and has now been 4 years post op. Sadly I think the post op years may have been worse then the undiagnosed time. For years he was able to believe that one day he would be okay. Even in the early days after the surgery he was optimistic but the past 2-3 years have been pure hell. He has fallen into a major depression. Medications do not help. His neurologists have released him from care. There is nothing more they can do. Reading your posts today I have learned that loss of memory can be associated with AN. His doctors SWORE the two where not related. He has short term memory loss. Maybe knowing that it is related to the AN will help, maybe it is too late to matter. We say mean hurtful things to one another, he is the lucky one he doesn't remember them by the next day. I never forget them. One of his docs told him after the surgery he might be able to someday drive his motorcycle again. He loved riding his bike. He still cannot walk in a straight line. He can't drive a car, he can't find his way back home. I know I am just babbling here. I don't even know what I want to say because there isn't enough time or space to say all the things I have held in for 13 years. I would like to meet other caregivers who can tell me how you do it. How do you go on day after day? I am at a point in my life where I could just walk out the door and never look back. After 26 years of marriage how can I be so selfish?

sgerrard

Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 12:46:56 pm »
I hope that Raydean sees your post, and can tell you about her experience. You can see some of it in the topic called "Need Advice as a Caregiver." It is important to take care of yourself in this kind of situation, and you certainly should not feel selfish for considering your own health and well being.

I don't know what actually happened with your husband, but if he has persistent short term memory loss, it seems likely to me that he has experienced some kind of damage to the brain. Whether the AN caused that, or the surgery did, or something else caused both the AN and the memory loss, probably can't be determined.

I do think you should get a copy of the book The Brain that Changes Itself, by Norman Doidge, MD. He describes the tendency of traditional neurologists to give up on rehabilitation after 2 or 3 months, as yours apparently have done. There are some doctors, though, that are trying new things, and having successes that come years after the initial trauma, and involve extensive retraining of the brain. People learn to walk again, and recover cognitive functions, even years later. It may provide inspiration, and it might provide some leads on places to contact. Even just getting a home training program might help restore some abilities.

Whether you decide that you want to stay with him and do what you can, or that your life together is over and it is time to move on, you will find support here on the forum. There are also some good resources listed on the ANA main website, specific to caregivers: http://www.anausa.org/caregiver_resources.html.

Wishing you all the best,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 02:16:42 pm »
coug70_99:

I'm glad you found this website and these forums.  I wish I could offer you some words that would help you resolve this near-tragic situation with your husband.  Unfortunately, I doubt anyone can.  It has been going on a long time and won't be remedied quickly, if at all.  Your patience is commendable, considering the situation and any feelings of guilt you're harboring are totally unnecessary.  Your life has been turned upside down and nothing is the same anymore, especially the man you married and want so much to help...but cannot.  That has to be torture. 

I have no idea whether your husband's memory loss is associated with his acoustic neuroma, his surgery or something else entirely. I would suggest you take him to a doctor for evaluation and quite possibly, an MRI to see if his brain shows any signs of damage or even signs of degeneration.  You didn't mention his age or the specifics of his AN (size) and surgery type, etc. which might be informative.

I would try to ignore his negative outbursts as much as possible and know that this is not 'him' talking.  Try to get counseling for yourself as you certainly are in need of some solace and the chance to talk about this with someone who may be able to offer coping suggestions.  Frankly, although it's easy for me to say, I know, I would do everything possible to solve this situation before giving up.  If it remains unsolvable, you may have to separate but you would want to do so knowing that you tried everything possible, first.

As a side note: my wife has told me that early in my recuperation I was quite 'touchy' and seemed to resent her gentle efforts to help me do anything.  She worried that was going to be my permanent attitude and life was going to get very difficult.  Fortunately, I 'came out of it' (her words) and my usual charming disposition re-surfaced.  :)  Actually, I was just my normal, impatient-but-not-hostile self.  I've since apolgized to her, she dismissed it as just a stage in my recovery (now complete) and we've moved on.  I hope and pray that some day you and your husband will have a similar story to tell.  Meanwhile, my prayers are with you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 03:01:16 pm »
I would second Steve's recommendation on The Brain That Changes Itself.  It is an excllent book that was recommended to me by a friend who has incurable brain cancer.  It may help you cope.  It sounds like it has been a very, very difficult time for you.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:29:24 pm »
I can relate "somewhat", for I was a caretaker for my son from 1984-1988.  It wasn't from AN, but it was a "brain damage" he had.  I had to do everything for him.
He couldn't move a muscle, or eat, or do anything.  His age was 12-16.  It was from a near-drowning accident.  The only reason I'm posting this, is b/c I understand everything you are going thru.  No time for yourself, or anything.  We had hope for him, but in 1988 he died from pneumonia.
If I were you, I would go to every and any doctor you can to get a correct diagnosis.  I took Scott all over the U.S. for help.  That way, I knew I did everything I could possibly do.  There has to be a reason for your husband's short term memory, and the fact he can't walk a straight line.  There has to be a doctor who can find out why.
Just do everything you can do.....if you can....b/c of insurance........and then make your big decision then.  At least you won't have guilt, thinking later "if I should have done this" or whatever.
My heart goes out to you.  I pray for God to give you the strength you need to get thru this.  You've already gone thru so much.
Please keep us informed of what happens, ok?
I care for you, and I want to pray for you.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 03:15:55 pm »
Hi Coug70_99

I'm not a medical doctor or anything medical.  But i was a wife in a long term marriage (26 years at the time of diagnoses) with a husband with  some outcomes that were similar to your husband's.  Know that you aren't selfish.  You are physically, emotionally and mentally worn out.  This has been a long, complicated journey for the both of you.  Your comittment and love clearly shine thru your posting.  It's hard trying to find the right direction, when there are no road maps, "just is" because the answer.  It's easy to get lost in the bigness of the situation.

The first thing that I would do is set up an evaluation with a different neurologist.  First create your own problem list.  Draw a simple body shape, then divide it into sections.  List problems related to each section and take this in with you to the evaluation. Be sure and include both the physical and emotional stuff. The neurologist will be able to sort the problems. He/she may not be able to tell you the cause. but there is great peace in knowing that there is a reason why things are the way they are. It'll also help you to focus on the issues that may be treatable. On the worst  days it helped me to remember that his actions  were rooted in a medical condition, rather then in his not caring.  A neuropsychological evaluation might be useful to better quantify his neurocognitive impairment. With brain injury there can be changes in  personality and mood disorder.  All of this can be sorted out thru the evaluation.

keep track of trigger points that may contribute to his outbursts.  I noticed that if my husband became fatigued,
around to many people, in a new enviroment, or dealing with a situation that became stressful he was more prone to outbursts. 

On a "good day"  share with your husband how his actions makes you feel, then set up boundaries.  As an example when he became to arguementive , in your face kind, we agreed that I would remind him that he was crossing the line and that I would discuss it later after he had a chance to cool down and rethink things.  Once removed from "the moment"  he shared with me that he could see how he had gone to far, but in the moment it was never anything he could see.  There was many a time when I had to leave the room.

With so many losses I am guessing that your husband is feeling"less then".  That you deserve better.  It's also a guess that somewhere along the way he has become emotionally dependent  on you.  One of his biggest fears may be that you'll leave.  You have been his safety net, the one he feels the safest with.  That's why you see the "worst" of him, that few others see.

Everything isn't "your fault".  Again this stems from the medical issues, including the forgetfulness and hearing loss.  You have done the best you could under complicated conditions.  You have given, and given. Sometimes we fall into the rut of "if only"  if only I did ------.  then things would be better.  You have done the best you could, with the information that you had at the time.  Please take  the time  "for you". you're running on empty right now.

Do things for yourself, kept doing the things that have interested you.  Take time out to be around other people.
Consider counseling.  (boy, it helped me to sort things out)  at the least you need a safe person for you to talk to, to share with. Make sure you "have fun" don't allow yourself to leave behind your joy. 

Consider attending a support group meeting for ANer's.  You'll meet other spouses, while they're journeys are less eventful I am sure that you will find support and understanding.  Meetings are a valuable source of information and who's who in the AN world and could help give you direction in finding doctors that will be of help.

Contact you local Dept on Aging.  These people know everything!!!  Given your husband's situation it's very likely that they would come to you.  These guys could assist you in your areas of greatest need. (Like maybe getting someone to come in and fill in as a caregiver, so you can have a break)  There's a wealth of programs out there that could help lighten your load and these people would be the ones to know.  It'd be worth a phone call.

Know how valuable and special you are.  Not everyone would do what you have been doing.  But to continue you must take care of yourself.  Make this a priority.  Do something for yourself today. 

Please feel free to email me thru the forum anytime.  Just click on the icon below my name.  Know that we are all here to support and to walk along side of you.

Hugs and love
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 03:23:06 pm »
Raydean, in case I haven't told you lately (and I know I haven't)..... you just rawk my world! You really do! Thank you for sharing such personal info and insight... you know Chet is awfully proud of you (as am I and the bloke).  Hugglez... total huggles...

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:23:01 pm »
Raydean,

What Phyl said goes for me too.. :'( :'( :'( :'(

And Coug, I hope these posts have helped you.  These are good people who care about you and what you are going through.  Please take care of yourself.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Raydean

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:13:10 pm »
Thanks Phyl and Sue

I'll take all of the hugglez's that I can get!!!!  Thank you both for your kind words.  I try to live my life in such a way that when I finally catch up to him he'll be proud!! 

Hugs and Love
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Tamara

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:30:57 pm »
I have been caretaker to my mentally and physically disabled daughter who is almost 11.  We use a program designed by a group whose name - National Association of Child Development - would lead you to believe that they just work with children.  However, there are also a number of brain-injured adults who are "on program".  This group meets and evaluates the clients 4 times per year and gives the client a "program" of activities to work on based on their findings.  While they are NOT physicians, they have a good deal of expertise and education in this sort of evaluation and recommendation.  My daughter finally learned to walk at age 3 - I give credit to the NACD program that she is mobile.

If you are interested, please check www.nacd.org

Best wishes,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 09:46:59 pm »
 ;) OMG, I had my AN surgery Dec.2006 then a second on th jan 2007  3.5AN   I still cant walk right  will never ride a bike. Havent worked because  I cant remember things unless I constantly repeat it in my head.  like  call the docter monday , call the docter monday, over and over again etc etc writting it down doesnt help because I forget I wrote it down. I feel sorry for you but in a strange way it helps me know Im not the only one. My docter told me he doesnt know why it effected my memory? duh. shake his brain up and see.   I dont think people understand or know what missing with the brain effects people ( even docters)  this is all   ralitively  knew stuff. I do think you should get out once in awhile and do for you.  Sit in a hot tub or something relax ing.   hopefully things will get better. ???
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 01:28:26 pm »
Coug and Raydean,

Wow, you are 2 remarkable people!!! I see so much insight in your message, Raydean and so much love both of you have. The encouragement to do things for you is important. For those of us caregivers it is too easy to forget. A counselor once told me that you can only give so much before you need recharging. She said when you are a caregiver, you are like a pitcher that keeps pouring love. At some point that pitcher runs dry and needs to be refilled. It really struck me.

Take care,

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 02:32:25 pm »
Coug and Raydean,

Wow, you are 2 remarkable people!!! I see so much insight in your message, Raydean and so much love both of you have. The encouragement to do things for you is important. For those of us caregivers it is too easy to forget. A counselor once told me that you can only give so much before you need recharging. She said when you are a caregiver, you are like a pitcher that keeps pouring love. At some point that pitcher runs dry and needs to be refilled. It really struck me.

Take care,

Mary 8)

^
|
|
|
ditto! what Mary said! :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

followingHim

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 03:59:47 am »
I was just wondering how Coug is?  Has she posted anywhere else?

Rob lost his balance after surgery and hasn't been able to ride a bike since.  He has also had problems with concentration.

I find I have to take one day at a time.  We are blessed with wonderful friends and that is such a help to us.

Blessings

Ley

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 07:06:13 pm »
Ley

Coug hasn't logged onto the site since the original post/thread was started... so, I'm not aware of an update... but you know I'm sending those healing hugglez to Rob and hugz for you as well. I know its been difficult on you recently and hoping things calm down soon.

I was speaking with another AN'er earlier today on the phone.. we are both caregivers to family members with other ailments (other than AN's) and as much as we get scared, frustrated, overwhelmed, angry, fearful.... both of us agreed that we constantly remind ourselves that it is the illness that our loved one's have that make folks the way they are (whether physically, cognitively, etc).. and that we rely on each other to help muster up the mental strength to forge on... and we know you can too. We're here for you.

Phyl