Author Topic: Neurotin  (Read 3260 times)

Karen

Neurotin
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:27:29 pm »
How many people are on Neurotin? n My doctor prescribed it to see if it would help with my facial discomfort.  He said to start out at 100mg dose at night then go to one at night and one in the am and then add an afternoon one.  I have read a lot about it and am kind of scared to try it.  How about the side effects?  I think my trigeminal nerve was damaged I have no feeling on the AN side, it constantly feels like I have been to the dentist, numb but yet hurts.  Does anyone know of anything            else for nerve pain?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Neurotin
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 02:27:36 pm »
Hi Karen

there are many here that are or have been on Neurontin (myself included). Captn Deb is another terrific reference. I have been prescribed Neurontin for other issues that afflict me, but as for having it prescribed for AN patients, please try doing a "search" here for "Neurontin" and you should see many reference points/threads.

They started you at the lowest dosage (they dispense in 100 mg capsules)... some side affects are drowsiness and possible weight gain. It is used to help calm down the nerve endings when they are hyper (one use for the med). If you have shooting pain in your face right now, it is very possible they gave it to you to help prevent the nerve endings in your face from misfiring.  Neurontin is one of those meds that you do have to wean up and wean off... so, please work with your dr closely. I know many on it and once we get use to it, it seems to work fine. sometimes dosages do have to played with to get it to the level of efficacy.

I hope that helps. Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 03:51:23 pm »
Karen!
I was just complaining to mimoore about this.  I would give anything for one of those pills right now.  I'm calling the doctor's office tomorrow.  I know there are side effects but....
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:34:55 pm »
I've been on Neurontin for two years now and my quality of life has changed quite a bit since I've been on it.  The worst side effect was the sleepiness and fatigue which lasted for about 4 months until I found the dosage that worked for me. My doc had worked me up to 2700 mgs a day since my headpain was quite severe.  I now maintain at 1800 mgs a day with non-noticible side-effects. I think the side-effects go away.  Phyll's weight gain was because she was washing the Neurontin down with Timtams.

I tried going off it this summer just to clean my system out and to see if the drug was actually working or not.  I weaned off very slowly--sho' nuff--them dang headaches came back full blast and I had to wean back on--NOT fun at all!

Make sure you are getting the generic form of the drug--gabapentin--as the name brand is expensive.  Believe me, the stuff WORKS.  Next you'll want to know about Topamax. My other wonder drug of choice.  Scroll down. There's a whole thread about it!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW