Author Topic: Those of you with eyelid implants . . .  (Read 4117 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Those of you with eyelid implants . . .
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:12:22 pm »
I got my implant (thin-profile platinum) on Tuesday. It works really well when I shut my eye, but I don't seem to have much blinking action going on. Is that because my eyelid is still swollen? Does it work better as time goes on?

Also, my eyesight on the left seems to fluctuate over the course of the day. Does that settle down?

Thanks,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jeanlea

Re: Those of you with eyelid implants . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:34:04 pm »
Hi Sara,

That's great that your eye closes well now.  It is my experience that the weight does not cause the eye to blink, as in move open and closed quickly.  It allows gravity to pull the eyelid down.  There's nothing there to pull it up quickly.  I've had my weight for nearly three years now and still have no blink, but I can close my eye easily.  I'm sure others will share their stories as well.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:36:37 pm »
Thanks, Jean. So we basically need to train ourselves to close our eyes more slowly in lieu of blinking?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:40:33 pm »
Sara, yes we have to learn to consciously close our eyes.  You are not that far out from surgery so maybe your blink will come back. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

satman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:23:41 am »
it's your blink reflex. if you concentrate can you blink your eye,if so try to make it blink 10 times each hour,so i was told.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:40:20 am »
Saralynn~
Is your weight on your left side?  My vision fluctuates on the AN side - the Dr. says it is because of the irregularity of the moisture that is being "swiped" over the eye (he uses a windshield wiper example).  It is different every time the eye does close or "blink."  I have found that I hardly use any drops (ointment at night) during the day now.  I always had to use ointment 24/7 (which greatly distorted my vision) so my vision is MUCH better with the weight - but not perfect!  After not being able to see at all out of that eye for 7 years (time before I got a weight), I'll take what I can get!!
 ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

28Lisa

• pre opt
Diagnosed at 26yrs of Age my experience
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:05:06 am »
Im recovering from A.n. Sept 11th will make one year since the removal.  Im 27 now.  Two months after I received an eye weight, since I have partial facial paralysis.  A couple months after, my eye turned really red and I went to three different drs. and got all antibiotics which didnt help with the redness, so I made an appt with an optomologist because I started to see a white part on my lens....Got a full exam was washed with some solution and my eye looked "ok"  Turns out that they said my cornea is scarred and the incision in my eye is closed, Im like I never agreed to eye surgery why is my cornea scarred???  The only options are to wait or to receive a cornea transplant, which sounds scarey....

My brain surgery was 13 hrs and Ive been affected severly, loss of balance, poor eyesight, I now wear glasses for the first time in my life, my speech is poor, due to the trache I had in for two months after,the partial paralysis of the face, left side, deaf in the left ear, cant feel temperature or pain on the right side of my body from the shoulder down, low motory skills in my left hand

All my friends have neglected me and it was depressing since Im stuck ay home after being in the hospital and rehab for four months, prior to being in acoma for 3 weeks after surgery...

I wasnt expecting this.  had no major symptons, only blurriness..........went in thinking I need glasse to be then sent to the E.R.

Its been a rough year but Im an A.N. survivor..

I was googling last night, can only type with one hand, its ashame cuz I  was a typist bedore everything now I gotta look at the keys ughs....Im glad theres an ANA  Its a comfort knowing Im not alone on this journey.

~Lisa~
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 02:08:02 pm »
Wow, Lisa, you have been through the mill  :o  and as you say, you definitely are  a survivor.  I am so glad you found this forum.

The number of complications you have run into simply floors me.  Do you mind if I ask, how large was your AN?  and where did you have your surgery?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 03:50:27 pm »
Hi Lisa,
Welcome! It is such a bummer that you had to have an AN to find such great friends but we are here for you!
WOW you certainly have had a lot to deal with... When I joined this forum I could not read enough and to know that others shared the same issues was comforting. I have met so many WONDERFUL people who have been a great support - {{{{{{big cyber hug}}}}}}}}}
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 04:05:01 pm »
Lisa~
Hello from Texas!  You will not find a better group of people than here - sorry you had to have an AN, but this is a good place to be.  I, too, am very curious about all the details of you AN - Inquiring minds want to know...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 04:20:25 pm »
Hi Sara:  what I do is close my eyelids with a squeeze when I blink, I do this often as per instructions from my opthalmologist. 
If I don't, even with a 1.6 gram weight, my AN eye will not move.

Just keep squeezing, it protects the cornea.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 07:42:23 am »
Lisa - keep up with those eye drops!!

I know its hard with the typing .. as a programmer.. I had several months where I had a great deal of trouble typing  ,but I stuck with it .. and now 3+ years later.. its back to "normal" (which was not very good, but its normal for me!  ;) )   You have been thu the mill ... but please stick with it .. it wont get better on its own .. you basicly have to re-learn to type ...

ps .. I have only recently been seen improvement in my writting ... that was very very poor... plus I dont write much! (its alll on the computer)  so it has taken longer...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:44:19 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital