Author Topic: Appreciating the little things in life!  (Read 4399 times)

wendysig

Appreciating the little things in life!
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:45:33 pm »
Hi all!

Yesterday I went to the mall for the first time since my surgery.  My sister and I took the girls shopping for back-to-school shoes and clothing and I even managed to pick up a couple of things for me too!  Although I considered the trip mostly enjoyable I still hate being in a crowd -- all the racks of clothing so close together bothered me a little visually too.  I just seem to find looking at a lot of  lot of anything visually challenging.  Still, it was good to be out and  doing something normal.  Today was even better!  Today I drove the car for the first time since my surgery and I was by myself!  I didn't go far -- just about two miles to the supermarket and back and then I took the girls to the community pool also by car (about 1/4 mile) -- we always bring too much with us to walk (cooler, chairs, towels, etc.).    It gave me such a thrilling sense of freedom just to do this little bit of driving!  Now I truly understand how those of you who have already had this experience must have felt.    A small victory, but a victory to be sure!

Wendy - appreciating the littlethings in life!
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

Re: Appreciating the little things in life!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:59:04 pm »
Way to go Wendy!!   :-*

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:00:30 pm »
Wendy:

Thanks for helping us all appreciate those 'small victories', be they a trip to the mall, a short drive or a few hours at the pool.  What you're describing is a slow-but-sure return to normalcy.  I believe that is the post-op AN patient's goal  It was for me.  I couldn't wait to do 'normal' stuff and even if everything didn't go perfectly smooth, I was happy to be acting like 'a regular person' and not in a hospital, my bed or otherwise being a 'patient' in the strictest medical sense.

I encourage you (as if you need it) to keep enjoying those moments (hours, sometimes) of normalcy.  They are precious to those in AN surgical recovery and are portents of better days yet to come.  I speak from experience.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:21:22 pm »
Wendy - good for you!!!  Those are big steps on your journey!  I think a glass of wine may be in order...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:57:37 pm »
I think I actually kissed my truck the first time I drove post surgery  :) ...

Way to go
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:11:57 pm »
I think mine was when I could get my own shoes out from under my bunk!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 05:32:54 pm »
Oh and two more little things I appreciate!  The big little thing was born the night before my surgery 4000 miles away!

Ain't they sweet!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 08:25:59 pm »
They are adorable!!!!!
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54:32 pm »
Congrats on making it to driving! It's small, but HUGE at the same time!  It's really a great feeling to be back on the road again.  I didn't kiss my truck afterwards, but maybe I should have. ;)  You'll continue to get better and not be bothered by malls, close together racks, etc..  I'm glad ya picked some things up for yourself!  That's important!  Just ask Lori and Jan.  ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:06:44 pm »
My truck is my link to the world outside my hollow ... living in the sticks is great... I can stay here for
a week or more and not leave ... but I had the option to get in the truck and go if I wanted to...
when I couldn't drive , it nearly made me crazy not being able to get up and go...
not that I felt like getting up and going anywhere but the knowing I couldn't bothered me ...
it was a big step ...

I couldn't get my arms around my truck or I would have hugged it along with the kiss...

I also have my 6 kids that I appreciate... the little ones and big...from the one that is almost 30 down
to the one that just turned 9 ...
and the 6 grand-babies that are from 6 months old to 9 year old and the one on the way ... and my husband
who drives me insane taking too good care of me

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:40:58 pm »
My thanks to all of you for sharing my happiness!

K - Thanks for cheering me on -- I really appreciate that too!

Jim you are 100% right.  Doing normal things again feels wonderful even if they don't go completely as planned!

Debbi - A celebratory glass of wine sounds like an excellent idea -- I may have one before bed.  Thanks for the idea!

Soundy - I didn't kiss or hug my car, but maybe I will tomorrow -- it deserves a thank you too!

Capn Deb -  I know how you felt about your shoes - tying my own sneakers again was a big deal to me!  The boys are just adorable!!

Brian - Thanks to you too!  Driving again did feel like a huge accomplishment even though I didn't go far.  I'm hoping to take a slightly longer drive tomorrow.  Going to the pool felt pretty good too.  I only sat poolside and put my feet in the water  because of my leaky incision which by the way seems to have stopped leaking again -- for good I hope!  I'm sure you're right that  Jan and Lori will agree with you that it's good that I bought myself something at the mall too.   Heck, I deserve it!  You sound great by the way!

Now I think I'll go fold my laundry since the dryer just stopped (I can't honestly say I appreciate having that job back) and then maybe have that wine,    will it be redi or white, hmmm.

Wendy - starting to feel "normal" again!

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 07:02:18 am »
Well, you know, a little retail therapy can really help with your recovery!  And if not,  you'll at least look nice!   :D

Deb - the boys are adorable.  How shocking to see them wearing pirate shirts though!   :D

Soundy - I didn't kiss my car the first time I drove - but I was seriously considering kissing the ground when I made it back home safely!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 09:43:44 am »
The little things:

Having my husband finally get mad at me again for something stupid
Doing laundry, from the beginning to the end
A great ice cream cone--tasted better than anything has for the past month
Walking the dogs
Waking up and not feeling ill
Friends, present company included
Watching the Olympics and finally understanding what obstacles, hard work, dedication and focus means in the real world
Michael Phelps
Did I mention Michael Phelps?
 ;D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NL

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:24:10 am »
Hi Wendy,

I love reading about those little things - thanks for posting your progress!

I know you only had your surgery about 1 1/2 weeks before mine, so it's great to see what possible adventures lie ahead.

Marci -
"Watching the Olympics and finally understanding what obstacles, hard work, dedication and focus means in the real world."
Since watching the opening ceremonies last Friday in my hospital bed, everything about this Olympics has taken on a very special meaning.

Nancy L

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 11:17:23 am »
I think I actually kissed my truck the first time I drove post surgery  :) ...

Way to go

Lucky truck  ;)

I too remember the first time I got the mail ... and walked around the house ... and needed a nap!! .... slow but sure ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital