Author Topic: Article on balance  (Read 9292 times)

jerseygirl

Article on balance
« on: August 13, 2008, 02:12:05 pm »
Hi,

Here is an article about balance in today's news. Some of the suggestions in it are simple and easy to implement in real life (and inexpensive,too!).

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=7191&Section=Aging

Looks like I will be doing some form of balance training throught all my remaining life!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Article on balance
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 03:47:31 pm »
Thanks again, Eve:

Good article that reiterates many of the balance exercises post-op AN patients have come to know quite well.  Still, worth a look.  As one of those '65-and-older' folks the articles references, I'm very aware of my balance and while it has improved over time (2 years post-op), I still check it and certainly am aware of 'dangerous' situations, which I approach with caution and so far, have managed to handle without incident.  I also take my vitamin D and calcium every day.  Fortunately, I'm in fairly good health and I'm trying to stay that way.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:22:07 pm »
Great article, Eve. Thanks for sharing!

Debbi, Bosu ball at the ready...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:30:45 am »

I've been taking the train to work the last couple years.... Its been great practice for my balance! .. (Standing on a crowded train, walking when its moving, or just walking in a very crowded group waiting for the train) have all been a challage at first... now I think nothing of it ... Kayaking on the weekends... of course is great balance practice... its a true "Use it or Lose it" !!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 06:21:48 am »
Hi Eve,
How are you?  Thanks for sharing this articlle, I really enjoyed it.  Some of the suggestions for improving balance are things my doctor has recommended to me already and I have been doing them -- turning my head from side to side while walking, walking on grass and uneven sidewalks when possible.  They are challenging but he says they will help.  Now that I'm beginning PT in ernest on Tuesday I hope that will help even more.  Thankfully, it did not take weeks to find a PT facility, just a few days once I was up to going out and checking out the places in my area that my insurance would cover.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 03:02:59 pm »
Hi Wendy,

Here is another article on balance that I posted: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/93925.php
It contains some balance tests and age-related benchmarks. Since you don't look a day past 30, you might want to look at benchmarks for thirty year olds even though balance naturally declines with age!  ;D

I took another round of PT this summer, this time to address the weakness in my ankle that resulted from the second surgery. An ankle is very hard to exercise at home, so I needed professional help. When it does not support the body, it contributes to the balance problems because  it throws the whole body off balance. I walk so much better and graduated to small heels from comfortable shoes! Keep with PT - it really helps!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:18:29 pm »
Hi Eve,
Congratulations on graduating to low heels!  How is your ankle feeling?  As you can see, I haven't visited this thread in a while but thanks for the article. 

My physical therapist has me doing a similar exercise standing on one leg but eyes open.  I try for 30 seconds but the most I've made it to so far is 15.  My first attempts only lasted 4 seconds, so this is a huge improvement.  I'm working on it!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:06:36 am »
Wow, Wendy, you are doing better and better every day! Before you know, you will be dancing! My ankle is much better, thank you very much. The PT said that when you walk or run, you rely mostly on the front and back but less so on the sides of the ankle. So, when the sides are weak, the ankle is wobbly and does not support the body weight. He designed exercises to strengthen the sides and my balance is so much better! I feel sturdier now. I was also trying to stand on one foot for 10 seconds on a DYNA-DISC (it is an air filled circle) because balance board was not challenging for me any more. I just got Dyna-Disc in the mail yesterday and plan to use it every day. My PT said that when you wobble on it, the ankle sides get a work out.

Eve

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 12:51:11 am »
Hi Eve,
The Dyna-DisC sounds very challenging - how long have you been using it?  Did you have to order it from t he company or is it something you can get at a sporting goods store?    I didn't mean it to sound like I can make it to 15 seconds every time, because I can't -- I seem to have good balance days and not so good balance days.  Sometimes I can't hold my balance more than 7 or 8 seconds and that is iwithmy eyes open.  If I close my eyes when I try to stand on one leg, I lose my balance almost immediately.  The PT also has me standing on a foam block and I tried standing on this with my feet together with no success-- with my feet a little less than hip width apart I can make it to 7-10 seconds (eyes open).  The only exercise I can do with my eyes closed with any real success is to stand with my feet together and arms crossed against my chest.  I can acutally do that for 80+ seconds.  I know that because my PT told me to do three sets of 30 seconds and I decided to try for 90 all at once tonight.  I tried a few times and never quite made it to 90 but I'm getting there.  What kind of exercises are you doing to strengthen your ankles?  My PT hasn't even suggested this so I am curious.  Does he have you do any exercises to strengthen your legs too and if so, what are you doing?  I hope you don't mind all my questions, but at most my insurance company will only pay for 8 more sessions and I'm trying to get as much out of them as possible and I feel like maybe I should push the PT to push me harder or at least show  me more exercises I can do on my own.  I'm sure that even if I wanted to pay for additional sessions myself, which I'm not sure I'd do, they would be very expensive.

Thanks
Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jerseygirl

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:41 am »
Hi, Wendy,

Dyna-Disc is very challenging for me but when my PT demonstrated the exercise on it, it was challenging for him as well! I am the one, however, who has ankle weakness and balance problems. I did have to order Dyna-Disc through the Internet but I got a balance board at the sporting goods store. Sometimes I try it to make sure I can still do it. I plan on doing it forever. From my experience, balance improves through exercise but worsens markedly without. I do not like the feeling of falling off my feet!

Ankle weakness is hard to see even for PT unless they test for it. My first PT, when I was doing vestibular retraining, actually missed it. I progressed in everything except for a balance beam. She did not understand it. Obviously, I did not progress because I could not step on my foot! All this weakness threw me off balance!If you feel the weakness or think you have it, bring it to PT's attention and DEMAND the exercise program to do at home. Some PTs don't like to give it to you because they want you to come but there is actually a lot you can do by yourself, it is just a matter of knowing what to do and how.Just a note: limb weakness is NOT a common side effect of AN surgery. It happened to me even before the first surgery 20 years ago, got worse after it, recovered mostly but have to exercise to maintain strength, otherwise it becomes noticeable. It got even worse after the second surgery but, heck, I am recovering again! Even with this, by the way, the second surgery was a walk in the park (literally!).

To strengthen legs, two things are extremely helpful: weights (like ankle weights) and walking every day. I walk 45 minutes daily, rain or shine. If I cannot walk outside in the park because of the weather, I use the treadmill in my basement or walk in the mall. If your balance is so poor that you feel you cannot walk outside without help, use treadmill exclusively for now. This way, you can always grab the bar on a treadmill if you sway. Safety first!

To improve your balance, make sure you walk on uneven surfaces like grass and sand. I know you already found sand to be challenging! Your balance, I am sure, will come back with consistent effort over time. My PT once told me that the only way I won't improve is if I do nothing. So, the opposite is true!

I understand that you want to improve your balance ASAP and I was there,too, but the healing takes place at its own time and unfortunately, it might have nothing to do with our deadlines. It does not seem to me that pushing harder in the PT office is the answer but exercises you can do by yourself is. The only thing is you have to be very disciplined and motivated to do them at home. Good luck to you! 

Eve

PS If your PT finds any weakness in you ankle, I would be happy to share exercises with you but do press him/her for a home-based program if your insurance does not pay.

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:12:41 pm »
Hi Eve,
Thanks for your reply and information on the Dyna-disc.  I have PT again tomorrow and do plan to press him for both more challenging exercises and more of a home program.  I have seen some improvement in my balance but as you know, my time is running out because of my cheap insurance company.  I e-mailed my doc too and he too said I should ask for a more challenging exercise program.  I will very diplomatiically bring up the subject tomorrow.  I'm not sure if I have ankle weakness but suspect I do and always have because I could never ice skate and that was the reason I was given by friends who did.  It's never bothered me other than that, even now.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 08:10:26 am »
Hey Wendy,

For ankle weakness standing on one leg will help to build strength in the standing ankle (tree pose good here).  Standing on one leg on a cushion or more than one layer of yoga mat for more advanced strength/balance.  While on the balls of your feet perform a squat and come up to standing helps, but don't do unless you are in the "advanced" stages of excercises.  This one really good for toning thighs and calves! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 08:30:34 am »
Hi Karen,

I am going to start using your suggestions... as I could use the help as well.  I miss doing yoga due to all of my medical issues but going to give it my best shot. Thank you so much for sharing these ideas....

suggestion?  Possibly do a post/thread in "AN Community" to share yoga poses and exercises that could help AN'ers?  That way, they are centrally located in one thread vs. in one forum and another forum. I believe you have much to offer with these suggestions and I'll be the first to enroll in your "virtual" class. :)

thanks again!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

marg

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 10:45:53 pm »
Hi I haven't been on the forum for a while....but I'm here to share something I'm doing for balance and I will probably start a new topic too.  My daughter ( age 21) has been talking to me all summer about getting a Wii to help me with my balance.   I admit I thought she just wanted a "game console" and thought it was like a Nintendo or X-box until I went to a store and checked it out.  ...... I bought one at Fred Meyers - after asking them if I could return it if it didn't do what I needed it to do for me.  They said I had a 30 day money back time frame ..so.......I took it home and tried it out.  A basic sport disc was fun and helpful (tennis, bowling, boxing etc)..Then my husband bought me a disc  called Wii Fit  .  It is GREAT.  It has balance exercises, yoga, arobics, and strength exercises too.  Many of these activities are in the form of games... and the Wii board (lookis like a step for step arobics) measures wether you are balanced correctly or not.  I can't say enough for this program.  I asked my PT what he thought of it and he thought it was a great idea.   I admit it is spendy - to start $249 for the Wii and then $89 for the Wii Fit program - but I can do it at home , it isn't dependent on the weather or time of day ( I don't do well at dusk or dark for walks).
     The other thing I like about it is that it also measures weight  etc and helps me set up a plan to reach a 'weight goal'.  Needless to say with recovery and less movement since surgery .... I didn't exactly stay on the 'skinny side  :D '.
   No, I don't have stock in the company ...... but it sure is another help for those of us with balance problems..... and it's not as dangerous as riding my bike (which I do but it is a challenge especially since I am deaf on the traffic side).

Has anyone else tried the Wii??  I highly recommend it!
marg

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:49:57 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 04:15:28 am »
Great idea Phyl, will start "thread" in Communities soon! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear