Author Topic: Suddenly having pain behind my left *good" ear  (Read 7835 times)

wendysig

Suddenly having pain behind my left *good" ear
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:42:03 pm »
 Hi all,
I don't mean to sound like a hypochondriac but just when everything has been going great, I am suddenly having pain behind my good ear, the kind that seems to be one symptom of an AN. At first I ignored it and tried to convince myself it was nothing but now I am not so sure.   I am seeing my doc on Friday for my second post-op visit and plan to tell him about this.  I am truly hoping there is a simple non-AN related explanation but I am a little worried.  I had an MRI about 1 1/2 months before surgery and other than my AN growing  nothing else seemed different.  Has anyone else had this happen?

Wendy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:49:40 pm by Jim Scott »
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

Re: Suddenly having paid behind my left *good" ear
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:54:41 pm »
Hi Wendy,

You seem a little anxious about the physical therapy coming up, and now this ear pain. You are only two weeks or so post op, so it is almost certain that the pain is related to having had brain surgery recently. It will take a few weeks for everything to settle back down. Relax a little, you'll be fine.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:08:02 am »
Wendy:

I'm sure your doctor will be able to help explain your ear pain.  I doubt its anything to be concerned about so I concur with Steve, try to calm down a bit and enjoy your 'postie' status.  I think you'll be fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 04:57:41 pm »
Thanks Steve and Jim.
You are probably right about it being related to my recent surgery.  I'm sure when I see Dr. Choe he will confirm it -- it does make sense. 

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 07:27:11 pm »
Hey Wendy,
The worse headache I've had since surgery was on the OTHER side.  My doctor said that there is still fluid setting down and that made sense to me, although it did scare me.  Of course, sometimes a headache is just a headache.

Hope you feel better soon.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 12:15:53 am »
Thanks Marc,
Having you tell me you've had a similar experience is very comforting, especially since you are having such a great recovery.  It sounds like Steve and Jim were right on the mark, based your experience too. 

Thanks again,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 03:03:09 pm »
Wendy-

I still get random pains in my head - most are on the AN side, but sometimes they are on the other side.  It could also be a situation where your brain is misinterpreting the location of the pain.  That is not uncommon (kind of like people who suffer shoulder pain during an gall bladder attack!)  I wouldn't stress too much about it, but would definitely mention it to Dr. C on Friday.   Take some deep breathes and say ...  OHM, OHM, OHM....  8)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:30:54 pm »
Wendy -

been away awhile, traveling home tomorrow afternoon.

Sorry to hear you are having pain; hoping it goes away soon.

Not to be picky here, but when you get a chance, please edit your subject line.  I think you are having "pain" behind your left ear, not "paid". 

Sorry, I'm a control freak  ::)  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

Re: Suddenly having pain behind my left *good" ear
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:50:16 pm »
Jan:

I fixed it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 03:52:55 pm »
Thanks, Jim.

Is that a moderator trick?  I couldn't fix it myself.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:02:17 am »
Thanks JIm and Jan -

Sorry for the typo.  I really do re-read my posts and fix whatever typos I see.  I'm going to blame my typos on my brain confusion since my surgery -- before  that is was my AN's fault.   That sounds good -- doesnt it?  I've notice I'm trasnposing my letters more since surgery too.  I must have fixed at least ten typos so far in this post alone.  I think I mentioned this before but I used to be an excellent typist. and was pretty good a proof reading too

Jan -  How was your trip?  Was it business or more vacation?  I remember you mentioning you were going to Minnesota (I think that's where you said you were going anyway -- did I get that right?)

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 03:02:51 pm »
Wendy -

no big deal about the typo.  Just me being anal  ;)

Yes, was on business in Minnesota.  Lots of work, but had time for some fun too.

Brought my laptop, but late nights followed by early mornings kind of prevented me from spending any major time on the forum.  However, as much as I missed it, I also found it nice to take a break since I've become somewhat "addicted" to this place  ;)

Good to be back - both at home and here - again.

Jan

Jim Scott

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 03:59:13 pm »
Jan:

I admit to sharing your compulsion for order (must be my part-German ancestry) and Wendy wasn't offended, so no need to apologize.  I like fixing things. 

Yes, the ability to modify other's posts is a moderator option.  Hardly used - but necessary to have available.   How do you think I get nice things posted about me?  ;)

Jim

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 04:00:26 pm »
Hi all,

I went to see Dr. Choe today and got all good news -- YAY!!  He said the he pain behind my ears is not unusual and will go away in time.  He seems to fell as I do that my recovery is pretty amazing.  We were running late this morning when we left the house and forgot my cane.  When I ws walking to the examining room he was watching me walk down the hall, saw me lose my balance and regain it on my own without a lot of trouble.  He said this was a very encouraging  sign and that I would probably find myself forgetting my cane more often if things continue to improve at the same pace.  It started my day on a high note and it has stayed there.  Hope you all had a good day too!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 04:04:34 pm »
Hi Jiim,

That was very funny!  Nice to know you can "fix things"  I  know we all would say nice things about you anyway!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!