Author Topic: Back from Gamma Knife Treatment in Pittsburgh  (Read 5860 times)

windy

Back from Gamma Knife Treatment in Pittsburgh
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:06:32 am »
I wanted to let you know I am back from my GK treatment in Pittsburgh with Dr. Lunsford.  All went well.  I am glad to be home!

I met with a team of three at the Gamma Knife Center at UPMC Presbyterian on Monday of last week.  I had all my questions in mind.  They were all answered.  I requested the Perfexion GK model, as I had read there was less radiation fallout to healthy tissue from this model, as from previous models.  I was told by Dr. Lunsford they would give me 12.5GY around the perimeter of the tumor and double the dose in the center, I believe.  I was instructed to arrive at 5:50 a.m. the next morning.

The procedure on Tuesday was basically as I had imagined.  I had a great nurse who took care of me from beginning to end.  Each person apparently has one nurse the day of treatment.  My nurse was Deborah (sp?).  Early on, I was told given an Ativan to take the edge off.  Later, I was given sedation through an IV.  The head frame was put in place.  I was not quite aware of it being placed on very much, as I was quite sedated.  You can also ask for an additional shot if you can feel pain from the head frame.  I was taken for a MRI with the frame in place.  I was still sedated, for the most part.  Finally, I was taken in a room for the radiation treatment.  I was given a little more sedation through the IV.  I told Dr. Lunsford prior to entering the machine to "do a perfect job".  He stated he would.  Coming out of the machine, I asked if he had done "a perfect job" and he stated he had!  Later, the headframe was taken off.  It was uncomfortable being taken off, but you are still sedated.  At this point, it is all over for the nomal patient.

In my case, I am not the "normal patient".  I passed out after the headframe was removed.  I have fainted several times throughout my life, so I am not totally surprised.  Who knows why it happened.  Anyway, I was awakened by a large team of physicians trying to wake me up.  I could tell by their faces, it was not usual.  I reassured them I was a fainter.  I choose to stay the night at the hospital due to passing out.  I slept most of the day.  I was given Tylenol and Motrin for head pain.  I slept well that night in my private room.  I had a tremendous team of nurses on the 8th floor of the hospital!  I went back to my hotel the next morning.  I felt pretty good that day.

I have not been given steroids, post radiation.  Apparently, it is not their standard procedure.  I still have headaches daily, but not as pressure filled, as last week.  My head feels numb on the left side, still.  I feel pretty well, otherwise.  I was instructed to not use hair products for 10 days, post radiation, due to pin sites.  Since returning home, I have slept great!  I have some fatigue, but not an extreme amount, at all.  Overall, I feel fairly well.  It has not been an absolute breeze, but it has not been terribly hard, by any means.  I am quite thankful.

I am quite pleased to have had treatment with Dr. Lunsford.  The staff at the GK Center and the hospital were great.  I was told that patients come from other countries to have treatment with him.  There was also another lady from Chicago, IL with an AN who was receiving treatment the same day.  Treatments are done Tuesday and Friday.  Three patients received care the day I was there. 

I went back to see the team the day I left.  They were very friendly and surprised I looked so well.  Dr. Lunsford said it is about a chance of 1 in 1000 of passing out.  He said they are usually men.  I was glad to say good-bye and quite thankful all was well and it was over.

I want to thank the terrific group of people on this board who helped support me in my decision making process.  This board is truly invaluable.  As stated before, I would not be where I am today without all of you!  Thank you.   
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:15:08 pm by windy »
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Kaybo

Re: Back from Gamma Knife Treatment in Pittsbrugh
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:42:22 am »
Glad you are home and doing well, Windy!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:59:28 pm »
Good to hear the news.  I wish you continued healing as you recover.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

janz

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:29:49 pm »
Have been keeping you in my thoughts. So glad you are home and the GK treatment is behind you.
Take care,
Janet
2 cm AN diagnosed April 2006
Gamma Knife August 2006
Dr. Lunsford, University of Pittsburgh

Anomar11

Re: Back from Gamma Knife Treatment in Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:30:53 pm »
Windy, Congratulations on being finished.  I have been following your posts as I am now in the same boat re: trying to make a decision between GK and CK.  I agree that this forum is invaluable.  I would have never been this far along in the learning process, not to mention the help in calming and gaining perspective.   All the best in your recovery.  Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 11:33:30 pm »
Hi Windy,

Thanks for the update, we were wondering about you. It sounds like everything went well, even if you did faint afterwards. Congratulations on becoming a postie.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 04:38:24 am »
well, windy.... if you fainted, was there someone handsome like Dr. Kildaire (think back folks!) to lift you back up? :)

Congrats you toastie postie! Hoping the GK does the trick... .continued wellness to you!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:05:52 am »
Congrats as well on your procedure!  Glad to hear all went well.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:16:26 pm »
Windy:

I'm so pleased to learn that your GammaKnife treatment went well and you're back home.  The fainting episode was admittedly a bit scary, at least for the doctors, but obviously not a real problem.  Let's hope and pray for total success, now.

I'm always pleased to see that the website and the folks that post on the forums have helped another ANer. 

Now, don't be a stranger.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:29:36 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:28:18 pm »
Glad your treatment is done, Windy, and beyond the feinting, seems like things went very well. 

Good job!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 04:13:02 pm »
Congrats on being done.  I am glad that, aside from the faiting, things went well.  As others have said, don't be a stranger!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MAlegant

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 08:16:28 am »
Phyl,
I remember Dr. Kildare.  If he were there, I would have fainted as well. Sigh....
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

windy

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 08:48:12 am »
Yes, I do remember Dr. Kildaire, as well.  If he was there, I was too out of it to tell!!  I did see a very large team of physicians/staff circled all around my bed, but I was only awake for moments when I saw them.   

* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 08:52:44 am »
Windy-

Thanks for such a great account of your GK experience - this will be very helpful for others considering GK.  I am glad that all went well (not withstanding the fainting, of course!) and hope that your recovery continues to be smooth as silk!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 09:21:45 am »
BTW, am I the only one who thinks it's funny that it's the men who usually faint?  ;D  No offense intended, Jim, Brian, Steve and the rest of the guys....