Author Topic: Kathleen Is Home!  (Read 3291 times)

Kathleen5306

Kathleen Is Home!
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:25:05 am »
I went to see my doctors yesterday at House Ear Institute to do my one week post operative evaluation, get my stitches removed and do all the neurological and balance testing.  At the end of the exam, Dr. Friedman said "You are free to go."  I said, "To our hotel on the beach for a few days of recovery?"  And he said, "No.  You can go home to Denver tonight!"  I was floored.  That was not even in the back of my mind.  My husband (a pilot for United Airlines) went into high gear and got us on a flight home to Denver.  By 9 pm I was in my own kitchen surrounded by my three children crying tears of joy.  It had been 10 days since I left Denver for this adventure in removing my Acoustic Neuroma for the second time.  I feel great and have been told to rest, recover, sleep and slowly start returning to normal life of work and family.  I just wanted you all to know I have moved to the next phase of my continued healing here in Denver!

I am looking for ways that I can give back to this forum and to the people who have made this journey better.  Thanks for all your support and best wishes.

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Kathleen Is Home!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:57:21 am »
Kathleen:

Congratulations and welcome back!  You're now an 'official postie'!

I'm just delighted with your rapid recovery and great outlook for the future.  You've made my day!  I hope yours is equally satisfying.  :)

Looking forward to reading more from you soon.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:19:36 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:04:27 am »
Kathleen~
That is so great - truly wonderful news!!  I know that you are glad to be home but how special it is to be back with your kids - everyone can rest easier now!

Keep resting...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 07:18:00 am »
Kathleen-

As you know, I've been following your progress daily on your CarePage (wonderful idea, btw) and I am just thrilled that you are home already! 

I hear that you also got a chance to meet our own LADavid and Nancy L! 

Just don't overdue it!  Let your wonderful husband and your children take care of you - if they are anything like my family, they will feel so much better knowing they are helping.

Continue to be well, my friend!  Talk to you soon.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 08:28:34 am »
Way to go Kathleen,

You have made it again.  What a beautiful reunion with your children!  I'm so glad you are at home.  Rest when your body tells you to.  Let your family spoil you rotten ;)
Your private message to me a few weeks ago meant the world to me.  Thank you for the encouraging words.  Remember you too are an inspiration. 

Anne Marie

P.S.  So does your husband arrange quick romantic get aways for the two of you as quickly has he arranged your trip home ::)
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 08:49:43 am »
Congratulations and welcome back!  You're now an 'official posti'e!

Make that a postie-toastie! :)

Great news, Kathleen, I am so happy that your second time has worked out so well, and that you are already home. Sleep for a month now.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:01:00 am »
Hey Kathleen
That is great news.  After seeing you the other day, I suspected that could happen -- unless they were keeping you around for leaks and other complications -- you didn't need to be here.  And as a parent, I know where my priority would be like you.  I am so glad you are home, recovering well, and that we had a chance to meet.    Please stay in touch and I'll do my best to keep you posted on Nancy.

My best

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:23:38 am »
What fabulous news!  Rest well and recover, I'm thrilled to hear how well you've done.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 11:20:18 am »
Welcome back home!  Rest easy.  All the best..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:11:36 pm »
Ohhhh, so great that you were released from California so unexpectedly!  Know that was a wonderful feeling to go back home to your children.  Be sure to get your rest, though!

Keep us updated as you feel up to it,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

fbarbera

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:47:26 pm »
Wonderful news Kathleen.  Dorothy had a point, didn't she.  There really is no place like home.

Be well,

Francesco

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 01:51:36 pm »
I looked everywhere in my house for those red sequined shoes so I could click my heals three times while saying to you "There's no place like home.....".  Welcome home Kathleen and very happy you are surrounded by much love!  Let the healing process begin!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Glenda

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:22:19 pm »
I'm so glad you are HOME!!  There is just no rest like the rest you get in your own bed knowing your family is there!

I tried to get Dorothy to come over and bring those red shoes but she said your husband was already looking after you!  ;)

God Bless!  Feel better really soon!

Good Witch
Glenda
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:52:32 pm by Glenda »
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 02:54:26 pm »
Hi Kathleen!
I was thrilled and excited for you when I read your post.  Congratulations on your return home.  It sounds like you are having an amazing recovery.  As everyone has said, rest when your body tells you to and just enjoy being home with your family again.  I am so happoy for you.  It sounds like you are well on the  road to recovery.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Wishing you all good things,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Lainie181818

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 09:47:03 pm »
Kathleen,
Congratulations on your homecoming and great recovery. I have been it touch with Nancy L and she told me that she got together with you and LA David, and that you looked fantastic. Dr Friedman sounds like he has been doing fantasic surgeries. My husband is a pilot for Delta, and he was able to take 2 months off to take care of me. He was fantastic, but I think we were both suffering from "cabin fever" in the end. Good luck to you and get plenty of rest.
Lainie.
I just talked to Greg [ Nancy L ] fiancee, and she is out of ICU and drinking juice and Jello. He said she is great and her face has not been affected. the jury is still out on the hearing, but hey I think hearing is overated. I have a BAHA and found it is great if my husband starts to nag me I just " Turn him off " I can get his frustration from 0 to 60 in about 6 seconds, who needs a Porche.