Author Topic: Allergies?  (Read 4244 times)

Mickey

Allergies?
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:41:06 am »
While still W+W I`m wondering if certain allergies or weather related conditions can be causing problems such as clogness increased tinnitus from time to time? These symptoms come and go with me. May this all be just plain attributed to the AN? With the mri`s still holding steady I do feel that with this happening too often might warrent me to act upon treatment. Just wondering if any other W+W are experiencing this for any period of time? As far as post op I wonder if this happens even after treatment? Just trying to make some logical deductions with all the imput I can get. Hoping everone is doing well! Thanks Mickey

pauline

Re: Allergies?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:55:18 pm »
Hey Mickey,

I am a newbie and I am definitely feeling more foggy headed and dizzy and my tinnitus is at an all time high especially
when we get heavy storms.  We are in the monsoon season here in Phx. and it seems either I am getting more symptoms
or the weather is affecting my lovely AN.  I banking that it is the weather so I can watch and wait longer.  i was more clear headed a few days ago when the weather was drier!  Hope things get better for you!

Pauline
Pianist & Piano Teacher
Diagnosed 6/27/08
Watch and Wait

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:01:45 pm »
Hi Mickey,

My impression is that allergies, other sinus issues, and tinnitus are all more sensitive when you have an AN. I had radiation treatment almost a year ago, and I think my ears and sinus are still more sensitive than they were before I got the AN. I'm not sure treatment would really change that; the systems involved are still "tweaked", and prone to react more to the environment.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sher

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:16:54 pm »
Mickey,
I have found that the barometric pressure, pollen counts, etc effect me. I have never really had allergiies until we moved to where we live now... I have been having accupuncture and it is really helping my sinus's and fluid in my ears.
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 08:14:27 am »
I'm probably atypical but I've lived in the northeast most of my life - haven't moved in over 30 years - and I didn't develop any allergies until I was in my fifties.  Mostly to mold.  OTC medication ( Zyrtec) controls the sneezing, which is my main symptom.  My neurosurgeon told me that I probably had my AN (4.5 cm on discovery) for over 15 years.  I didn't see a bit of difference with the frequency or intensity of my allergies from before my surgery and radiation and after.  If it exists, the difference is infinitesimal, in my case.  As I stated, I may be atypical but wanted to add my information to the discussion, just to broaden the base of experiences offered.. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 06:48:46 pm »
Thanks for the responses!  It does seem we all have alot in common. My AN is .12X.06 and its true my symptoms come alive on those bad weather days or when air quality isn`t good. Maybe some how it all corrilated? I do know somone who did have the surgery and said those symptoms were relieved but the down side was loss of hearing and tinnitus. Weater here in NYC area has been loaded with thunderstors all summer Complicated! Stay tuned if anyone comes up with sugestions. Thanks again, Mickey

mikado

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 05:25:49 pm »
Thanks for the responses!  It does seem we all have alot in common. My AN is .12X.06 and its true my symptoms come alive on those bad weather days or when air quality isn`t good. Maybe some how it all corrilated? I do know somone who did have the surgery and said those symptoms were relieved but the down side was loss of hearing and tinnitus. Weater here in NYC area has been loaded with thunderstors all summer Complicated! Stay tuned if anyone comes up with sugestions. Thanks again, Mickey

Off-topic perhaps... I'm allergic to just about everything. Food, drugs, plants etc.
Advice to newbies, allergies can occur at any age and be minor or life-threatining. Drug allergies also include anesthetics, dyes, surgery implements or bandages. Watch for redness, swelling and especially hives. 

Heads up, you'll be fine.
Bonne chance,

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:35:49 pm »
Hi Mickey,

I can honestly say that since my AN has grown (even though only slightly), I have been having problems with altitude affecting my AN ear.  I live in Denver, the mile high city, and the past five times I have been from a high to low, low to high altitude travel situation, I have had problems with my AN ear. . . .ear pressure, ear pain, and increase in loudness of tinnitus.  I think environmental issues are huge, in my opinion.  Keep on top of your MRIs to check for growth.  Plus, I think these little buggers can act up no matter what size they are. 

Nancy 
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs