Author Topic: Social Security Disability  (Read 35137 times)

thecakes

Re: Social Security Disability
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 05:54:18 pm »
  No burger flipping here.

Battyp

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 07:07:49 pm »
Cakes you lost me!  I couldn't stand long enough to flip the first one!
How long did it take you to get approved for ssd?

thecakes

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2006, 04:24:12 pm »
   After 3 tries.  About 3 months.

Battyp

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2006, 07:24:56 pm »
Last week I had a mental exam...next week I have a physical one with a gp...I'd rather be seeing a neurologist. 

sunshine16

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2006, 09:29:43 pm »
3 tries?  Goodness.....  So, you have to wait almost 2 years to get your benefit?  Did SSD had you see any doctors?  I seen a Neurologist and Psychiatrist.  Just waiting for the result now.  Or should I say, just waiting for the denial papers now...  ha ha ha

Raydean

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2006, 04:36:33 am »
Just a heads up.  For those that have been denied  Social Security Disability make sure that you file your appeal within the timeframe allowed.  ( 60 something days?)  I would hate for anyone to be delayed due to a tecnicality.

Batty Princess,  On the letter you received telling you of this appointment should be the name and phone number of the person handling your case.  Have you tried calling her/him and ask that your appointment be with a Doctor Knowledgable in AN brain tumors and outcomes?   

At the post 2 year evaluation they requested Chet be seen by a doctor with four initals behind his name beginning with M.  All I know is that I had never heard of this person.  I called up and asked the person how much experience he had with large AN.s, hydrocepalus and brain injury.  How many has he treated within the size of Chets. Total practice?  I explained that these were questions that I asked of all doctors that we were considering seeing.  She replied she didn't know but was sure he was qualified.  I repeated the questions, she said she'd get back to me.  She later called and rescheduled Chet with a neurologist.  In fact it was one of the best evaluations that he has had and I didn't have to pay a cent!!!

Be sure and state at the beginning of the evaluation that you'd like a copy of the evaluation sent to a
doctor of your choice (we did our family doctor)  that way you have a copy available to you.

Thinking of you guys.  Hang in there!!!
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2006, 09:03:18 pm »
I've requested copies sent to my Family doctor.  I am going to call tomorrow to see if he received it.  Thanks for the tip, I'll call the case manager tomorrow.  I know the doctor who did my mental exam said the person making this decision has no medical background.  YIKES!

Raydean

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 04:44:11 am »
Big YIKES !!!!!!!!   Michelle, you need a Doctor that knows what's he/she is looking at.  A GP is not going to get you anywhere, except probably another denial.  I dearly love our family doctor, who's been very supportive of Chet, but he's the first to admit that "he doesn't know" on some of these issues.  Don't think that GP will know either.  You're right, it's in your best interest to have a neurologist see you.

Make that phone call ASAP and please let us know.

Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

thecakes

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2006, 09:07:55 am »
  Sunshine, I was "out of my mind" at the time,  I have to ask my husband how things went.  He said we went to SS 3 times before we got SSD.  I only remember once.  I was home from the hospital about 3 months before I got a check.

Battyp

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2006, 02:18:25 pm »
Raydean,
  I tried calling the guy and of course no one answered just got voice mail.  So, I left a message and sent him a letter with my return confirmation and recopied the orginal stuff I sent as I noticed it was different names of case workers.  I'm going armed with my notebook with all my vestibular and an stuff.  I figure I'm not paying and can sit there until she understands!  Especially with my speech problem.  Of course that will be a day I wake up with clear speech  LOL

sunshine16

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2006, 03:49:46 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I got approved of disability, I got the letter today.  Got approved on the first try.  I had teary eyed and thanks God, he heard my prayers!

My case will be reviewed once every 3 years.  My question is,  I thought I will get a retro pay?  My payment starts May 06..  But I really thought I'm getting a retro pay from the time I got disabled?  I had the surgery November of 05.  Did I misunderstood it? Was I wrong?   

Oh well, I'm still thankful atleast I don't have to go through the stress of hiring a lawyer or going through anymore stressful process of appeal.  All I can say is I'm legit I can't work right now.  I just hope I get better soon and comes back to almost normal atleast. 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2006, 04:21:48 pm »
I believe it's retro to 6 months after the onset of the disability.  I was turned down twice, the last time I was totally unable to drive, do housework, fix food, or get out of bed at all. I guess they figured I was LYING to them.  I think they just NEVER give it to self-employed people unless they are comatose.

I'm really happy for you!
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Raydean

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2006, 04:23:52 pm »
Congratulations!!.  As to your question regarding retro payments dating back to date of disability I think there was a misunderstanding.

Unfortunately there is a down time when no payments are made.  In 1997-98 it was a 5 month period. As an example  date of disability was in August and payments started in  Feb.  I'm not sure if the wait time is 5 or 6 months now between the date of disability and date you start receiving payments.  Two years post the date of receiving payments you are eligible for Medicare under the disability issues, instead of age.  ( My guess that is why alot of evaluations are done at the two year mark) .   Had the approval process taken longer then the waiting period then you would of received  back payments to the date of when payments would of started.

Chet also came up for review at the 2-3 year mark which included an evaluation.  That was 6 years ago with no further evaluations so i think it depends on other factors including age.  Anyway, congratulations.  You must of done an exceptional job on your paperwork and had your Doctor's cooperation for a first try approval!!!  You have to be proud of that!!!  

On a personal note Chet would give it all up in a NYC second if he was able to work again.  He truly misses it.

Best to you
Raydean
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:26:33 pm by Raydean »

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2006, 04:37:59 pm »
Another note about why I got turned down--I was still selling paintings even though I was unable to work and make more of them--they counted this as working income even though I wasn't able to work--a big Catch-22. Nowdays I can work about 3-4 days a week if I don't let up on the narcotic pain meds.  Without them I'm non-functional. I lived without regular use of them for 2 1/2 years until I got turned down the second time and I ran out of paintings to sell. Just decided I had to work again inspite of this non-stop headache, so told the doc I had to get some kind of relief to let me work. So now I have a 2 to 3 Vicodin a day habit and an income. Thanks SS!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2006, 05:29:51 pm »
I'm so frustrated with the whole thing.  I'm working 10 hours a week from home by the grace of all is holy to maintain my medical insurance.  Of course ssd looks at it as I can work.  I worked 4 hours monday and had a meltdown and all i was doing was sitting in a chair looking at teachers paperwork.  Oh boy..what a long road I have!