Author Topic: Social Security Disability  (Read 35140 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Social Security Disability
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2006, 04:32:22 pm »
I was denied also.  Didn't surprise me one bit.  I expected it, after reading about all of you guys not getting it and most of you are worse off than me.  So....oh well.  I'm only a year and a half away from collecting Social Security...It's not that big of a deal to me.  I guess. 

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2006, 08:03:06 pm »
did you appeal? they deny almost everyone on the first try.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2006, 08:30:55 pm »
Brenda O
Boy are we in the same boat! I've been denied twice as well and am working with an SSD lawyer. It's been 1 1/2 years since I started with the atty and the same since my second denial. I, too, have a hubby with a good job and hate being dependant. We don't even have a joint checking acct. Last year, I sold off much of my private art collection that I wanted to leave to my grandkids to pay my medical bills and health insurance. Unfortunately, I am self-employed and have been for years and that is a worse-case scenario for collecting disability.
Capt Deb 8)

Deb,
I was self employed for a number of years too and didn't pay as much as I should have but, back then I was also a single parent so I did double duty with raising my girls.  We don't have a joint checking account either, but my father-in-law (bless him) tells my husband that I work as hard if not harder than he does and I deserve far more than he gives me.  He is getting much better.  I wish his Dad lived closer.  I'd live like a Queen!  Not quite but almost.  I'm really lucky I live in a community property state and my daughter reminds me often that I have a right to be taken care of.  I may have the right, but I don't have to like it!!  A friend of mine who had a cancerous brain tumor removed at 25 finally received her SSD just  a few months before the appeal's hearing.  She keeps me up to speed on how things work and how to get them moving a little faster.  She just turned 28 and is doing better than anyone ever expected.  I'll keep you in my prayers.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

chelsmom

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2006, 04:01:52 pm »
Hi All,
I have a quetion that you  might be able to help me with.  My daughter was diagnosed with a 6 cm AN in June "06.  She was admitted to the hospital on June 16 and released Sept. 16th.  She still has to go through a series of radiation treatments, 30 in 6 weeks, as there were atypical cells.  She turned 18 in Aug.  She was to start college this year which she has had to defer.  Several people have suggested that she apply for SSD.  She did work her senior year and quit in June because of her situation.  The question I have is, can she recieve SSD if she is going to school?  It was in the plans that she work part time while in school (10-15 hrs.) but I'm not sure she will be able to do that.  On the other hand, If you are going to school can you recieve SSD?  Does anyone know?    Thanks.....Michelle 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2006, 04:30:45 pm »
Michelle,
I suggest you call your local Social Security Office. Before you go through all the hassle of applying it's best to know if she would even qualify.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

TaylorsMom

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2006, 05:00:25 pm »
Michelle,

Go to www.socialsecurity.gov and go to the SSI section.  You have to have enough work credits to get SSD but SSI is not based on that.  It's a long and detailed process.  We have applied for Taylor, but they tell you it will be 120 days before you are approved or denied.  We just did this in the last couple weeks so it will be the end of Feb. before we know anything.  As long as she lives in your house, your income is considered, too, but don't let that stop you unless you are wealthy.

Check out the web site and do your research.  Their are lots of rules and guidelines they must follow (surprise!!  Government paperwork.  They don't make it easy)  But if she can qualify for a little money every month for awhile, it's worth it.

Good luck,

Kathy

PS--Glad Chelsea is doing better!!!!!!!

justafactoflife

• Let's Get Er' Done!
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2008, 12:30:15 am »
Ok,
I know it has been a long, long time, but I had to come back and let you all know that I finally got Social Security Disability!  I filed way back in Feb 2006 and then after frustration tried to go back to work in Aug 2006.  I had radiation (Cyberknife) treatments in Nov 2006.   That combined with previous AN surgery in 2003 did me in.  I left work again in Jan 2007.  After waiting for over 2 years to get my first hearing, I finally got it.  At my hearing, The Judge didn't award me my original determination date of Feb 2006 because I had tried to see if I could work.  You can get penalized for that if you work more than (3 months) Social Security will allow which was the case for me.  That's another subject but anyway,...I finally got it and the determination date was for Jan 2007. 

I have vertigo, right-sided total deafness, and tinnitus as the result of my AN tumor and the main reasons for disability.  I have other physical problems combined with this, but the amazing thing I remember most is what the Judge asked me.  She wanted to know in helping her decide my case "what is the most dibilitating symptom I had.  "Would I agree with her it was my Balance or Vertigo that caused me the most problems?"  I looked to my attorney who was nodding his head and told her "yes, I would agree".  Now, I know that is not the only thing that we AN'ers usually have wrong with us, but for this Judge, that was the one thing she felt would be the deciding factor to her that I was disabled.  Just a Hint when you present your case to Social Security. 

My previous job was in a sedentary job, and I did very little walking about in the office.  I did use a telephone a lot and I felt my hearing loss and not being able to hear conversations well enough to understand speech would get me disability.  My attorney admitted this is a serious symptom in and of itself but not enough to get disability by itself unless you are totally deaf, or one-sided deaf and hard of hearing on the otherside combined.  I do have problems getting around without using my cane both at home and other places, so... I guess that is another reason they chose vertigo as my main problem.  Listen to your attorney and take their advice. 

My attorney was a former staff attorney of Social Security Disability.  He not only knew the in's and Out's of Social Security, but he knew the Judge, how she makes her decisions, type of person she is, her background, and etc.  He did his homework, don't you think?  Even though I got disability, I still feel the process could be quicker and more simplified and if you are trying to get it on your own, most likely, you will fail.  "Bite the bullet" and get a "Good Attorney" who knows how to play Social Securities little game, and beat them at it! 
AN 1st time, July 2003
7mm x 4mm x 5mm
Subocital/Retrosigmode microsurgery
St Anthony's Hospital, St Louis MO
Dr Faisel Albanna, MD Neurosurgeon

2nd regrowth 1cm x 5mm x 4mm, Oct 2006
3 FSR using Cyberknife
St Anthony's Hos. Oklahoma City
Dr Clinton Medbery, III MD Radiologist

3rd 1.8cm x 12mm

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2008, 04:56:00 am »
Congratulations!  Glad to hear that the system finally worked for you!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

cin605

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42:12 pm »
I applied six months out becouse i had a cleaning bussines......due to vertigo ,balance,fear of walking in public w/o falling,anxiety,major neck issues,short term memory loss...got approved through SS office ...it was then sent to another eview board in PA....denied and sent back to local office..who fought for me .where they had all agreed i was clearly disabled...sent back to Pa office and approved.
best of Luck...fight for your rights...keep all mri,vetub rehab info,drs visits er visits and all recomendations for these offices.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old