Author Topic: dry eye questions  (Read 2613 times)

Karen

dry eye questions
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:51:52 pm »
My husband and I are going to the windy city this week-end, Chicago.  Just wondering what ideas people have for the dry eye.  I have some of the sunglasses with the foam inside to fit close to my face, will thoses work good enough to go on a riverboat cruise.  Also wondering how much I should up my eye drops (Celluvisc)   during the   ride.  Rigfht now I can sometimes go 2 hours.  I don't have feeling in my eye so that makes it harder.  Also have tickets to see a play, can't decide if I should go with oinment so I won't have to use it as often.  Seems like I am constantly worring about my eye!!! How can you tell if you can go longer inbetween drops if you don't have feeling?  Also if you are up later at night do you need to use more ointment as the night goes on?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Kaybo

Re: dry eye questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:33:09 pm »
Karen~
I always thought that it was MUCH easier managing my eye since I don't have feeling!!  In fact, I was just thinking about it the other day b/c someone on here was talking about swimming or taping for a shower.  I don't have a problem with either and do not even swim in goggles!  I have just always gone with the indicator that if my eye gets red, I put drops in!  Before I had my weight, I used Refresh PM morning and night.  Now, I only use the Refresh PM at night and don't hardly ever use ANYTHING during the day!  When my eye starts to get red (dry out) my vision, which is never perfect anymore, gets blurry so I put drops in.  I live in a VERY, VERY windy city (plains of West Texas - no trees to stop the winds) so I do have that to deal with.  If it were me, I would put drops in before the cruise and then after if needed.  Have you had a lot of problems that have made you worry about it so much?  I hate that it consumes you so!  :o(

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

tony

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:51:26 am »
Yes there are practical things you can do
Sunglasses - the wraparound type do seem to help
(ANers dont like the bright sun anyway)
Because my blink function is so poor I wear the
safety specs version for sports or DIY
Also get some "clear glass specs" (plano?) - mine cost $20 ?
these look like normal glasses - but are clear glass only
- good for evenings/ reducing dust wind etc
The night lube is useful when swimming or bathing
- and also in an emergency "sore eye" situation
- I always carry a day and night set with me
And finally practice blinking more
It all helps
Best Regards
Tony

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:27:06 am »
Hi Karen:  Just an added note:  I do go for routine eye exams to keep a check on my cornea.  At 1st I went every 3 months,  now I usually make an appt. every 4 months or so,  or sooner if I have any problems.  If you have time before your vacation, you may want to make an appt. with your opthalmologist.

Enjoy your trip, & always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pol

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:47:05 am »
Hi Karen
I live in Chicago and have learned to deal with the wind, sun etc. I use wrap around dark sunglasses if it's really bright out. I use the Celluvisc eye drops hourly. They are really thick and I can go at least 1 hour inbetween drops.  I have found that those are the best--the others were not keeping my eye lubricated. My eye feels and looks better.

I saw the ophthomologist on Monday and he thinks the dryness has improved as has the closing. The choice of eye drops is overwhelming so I really rely on what other ANers have found useful. If my eye still feels irritated, I use a little ointment but of course that causes blurred vision and gets all over the eye.

By the way, the weather is supposed to be great this weekend--high 70s. Have fun!

Polly

AN diagnosed Sept.'99; GK Dec. '99 and Sept. '06
Subocciptal partial resection (AN 2.5x 2.2) by Drs. Bojrab & Pieper. SSD right