Author Topic: Will my scar flatten out?  (Read 15841 times)

wendysig

Re: Will my scar flatten out?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 08:56:48 pm »
Hi Chocolatetruffle,
I meant to answer your question about what procedure I had on my own thread but just saw your post and had already been thinking about you.  I'm not sure what looked like sutures in the front on my ear in one of  my pictures, maybe it was hair.  I had translab, but had no external sutures at all -- just surgical tape and a clear bandage over my incision.  Now that the tape and bandage have been removed, I finally got to see the incision.  Dr. Choe did the extremely neat and great job I knew he would do and never expected or thought he would do anything else.    As far as  the belly scar goes, Dr. Choe didn't say how long it would take to flatten out, but your belly scar sounds like it looks just like mine and he assured me it would flatten out very nicely.

Wishing you a flat belly scar sooner than later,
Wendy

Marci -- Sorry for the hijack!  As you can see, some of us just can't help ourselves!
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 09:05:07 am »
Scars and all......it is so good to laugh.  I think its the best medicine for whatever ales you!!

Yeah Steve, Minx is my middle name ::)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 09:13:44 am »
Wendy is correct, some of us just can't help ourselves LOL

Great shower story Marci - I knew I could convince you to share it.  The things some people will do for quick room service though - I'm shocked ::)  :D

Wendy -

I liked your shower story too, but I enjoyed the part about your husband sleeping in your hospital bed the most.  I can just imagine the nurse's face when she discovered that Wendy was very masculine-looking  :D

Flipping back to the scar topic now, I forgot to say earlier that although some mentioned having their belly scar stitches removed, mine dissolved.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 04:25:03 pm »
marci, sorry for the hijack

Wendysig, oh??  i had translab but i had sutures at the back of my ear - surgical tape sounds so much easier to remove than sutures!! i was gripping the chair and grinding my teeth as they took the sutures out.   :-\  wishing you a flat belly scar too!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 05:03:23 pm »
No problem, apparently hijacking is encouraged around here!  Re, the scar, I'm just relieved to know I won't always look like Kevin Costner in Waterworld.  :D
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

MAlegant

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 02:44:53 pm »
Doesn't anyone want to laugh at my Waterworld joke?  Anyone? Or am I the only to see that particular movie?
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 03:41:54 pm »
Sorry Marci - I didn't see it!  But I'm sure if I had, I'd be hysterically laughing at your joke right now!   :D  If it doesn't have cartoon characters or Muppets in it, I probably haven't seen it.   :-\

You know, being Kevin Costner can't be that bad - I'm sure he's got lots of money!

Lori

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 03:57:09 pm »
Ok, well in the movie, everything (all cities, etc) is covered with water and Kevin Costner has gills!  He's still pretty cute, but gills?  Anyway, don't even bother renting it, but if it ever comes on TV you will laugh when you see him.  Until my scar flattens out, that is exactly what I look like!  Only not as cute. 
M

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 09:59:21 pm »
Hi there,
I can take a shower, but still have to be very careful.  My doctor still doesn't want me to get my ear wet (that he had to shorten the ear canal when I had the spinal leak).  I have to take a ball of cotton and cover it with vaseline, completely covered, then put it in my ear, so it doesn't get wet.  Then put vaseline over the outside of the cotton ball.  So my showers still aren't real fun yet! (can't dance around, etc) yet.  I see him on Wed., so hopefully this won't have to be done this way again.
I found out it's a scab that's above my ear.  Hopefully he will let us put ointment on it, so it will heal faster and drop off.  I hate it.  Drives me crazy.  It will definitely feel so much more comfortable to lay on a pillow without that scar sticking up :'(
By the way, I could start a 2 year old military school........but it would be VERY EXPENSIVE~~~~~~~~ ::)
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »
Lacey -

you mention military school.  Would you be willing to take two 12 year-olds?  :D

After my BAHA surgery, before the cute pink bandage was removed, I had to hold a plastic cup (the kind you drink out of) over my BAHA site when I showered.  It was a little awkward, but I was just thrilled to be able to shampoo  ;D

If you get to the point where you are able to put ointment on your incision, remember that Dawn detergent does wonders for cleaning "gunk" out of your hair.  I learned this handy, dandy tip from Lori!  Works well on bacitracin, polysporin, and neosporin.  The things I've learned on this forum  ;)

Marci -

I would have commented on your Waterworld comment, but I didn't see the movie so I was clueless as to what Kevin Costner looked like. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 07:47:29 am »
Lacey - I think the military school would be great!  Do I get a discount if I send you the military?  My husband is in the Navy and I'm sure he'd just LOVE to be surrounded by 2 year olds!!!  And just think how quiet my house would be with 2 people missing!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:18 am »
I don't know why I didn't get in on this trhread until now - it didn't pop up on "unread posts" - oh well, better late than never!  I was going to say when I 1st read Lori's suggestion about Boarding school that we always joked that we were sending our 2 year old off to MILITARY school!  Yes, Lori, I think James would be great Military for the 2 year olds!!

I also, Wendy's story about the nurse being confused at her hubby in her bed made me think of when my mom got Bells Palsey and I was taking her to the Dr.'s - needless to say the Dr. was VERY confused about which woman with the wacky, paralyzed face he was supposed to be examining!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!