Author Topic: Will my scar flatten out?  (Read 15842 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Will my scar flatten out?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 02:36:54 pm »
I have a funny shower story to tell, sorry Marci for hijacking this thread but this is funny and could only happen to me.  I broke my ankle on a Monday of Jan 2005. I was in the hospital with it sprinted and waiting for an open reduction.  I was on a list for and each day being bumped by more urgent cases.  On the Friday I couldn't stand it anymore and begged for a shower.  The nurse wrapped my leg up, wheeled me into the bathroom, helped my undress, set me up in the shower.  I had the shower going enjoy the water beating down on my body.  Just as I started to shampoo my hair the ortho surgeon popped his head and said "Mrs Sanseverino would you like to participate in a survey?" I asked him why he picked now to see me in my glory and will it mean I'll have the surgery sooner than later.  I had my surgery at 7:00 pm that night. 

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 02:41:16 pm »
Marci:

From a man's point of view and for what it's worth, my surgery incision scar totally healed.  During my last (monthly) haircut, my barber mentioned that it was now "pretty much invisible".  I'm sure yours will be too, in time.  Sorry, no belly scar so I can't comment on that, and probably wouldn't, even if I had one. 

The AN surgery contract does exempt the patient from housework but there is no exact time-frame, so, unfortunately, this clause is open to interpretation.  I've invoked the AN 'exemption from helping friends move' clause, recently.  I use the AN contract law plus my advanced years as my exemption.  So far, so good.  ;)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:55:23 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 02:45:57 pm »
Anne Marie,
That's hilarious.  I mean, truly hilarious.  Worthy of momentary thread-hijacking. ;D
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 03:18:28 pm »
Anne Marie -

I second Marci's post - hilarious story!   :D

Lori -

boarding school for toddlers - another great money-making idea   ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeanlea

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 04:22:15 pm »
Hi Marci,

My vestibular rehab doctor gave me some advice about my scar shortly after my surgery.  He told me to put Palmer's cocoa butter on it.  It's supposed to help with scars.  I used it and my scar is not really visible anymore. 

I had to wait awhile for my first post-of shower.  I had to start out with baths so I didn't get my eye wet.  It was so nice to finally be able to take a shower again.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 07:13:17 pm »
Anne Marie,

Thank you for the post explaining the proper way to expedite ankle surgery in a busy hospital. You minx, you.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 07:29:17 pm »
Steve,
Is this a hijacking?  And if so, is there a ransom demand? 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 07:36:29 pm »
Jim, the moving exemption!  I will definitely use that one!  My husband has a pick up truck, so we always get asked to help friends move!  Ha - not any more!

Ok, since we're talking about funny shower stories, while I was taking my first marathon shower that day in the hospital, I heard a knock on the door.  Being SSD now, I couldn't tell if it was a knock on the bathroom door or the room door so I said "yes, come in", thinking it was the room door and that it was just the nurse coming to make sure I hadn't gone down the drain.  I hear the bathroom door slowly creak open and a man's voice saying "Ummm...Mrs. Wilson, this is whats-his-name from the Chaplain's office.  Would you like to receive communion?".  I just said, "well, I'm not exactly wearing my Sunday best right now, do you think you could come back later?".

That poor guy.  He probably had to go to confession or something after that!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:33 pm »
Marci -

actually, I think Anne Marie started the hijack, not Steve - but I did love his comment  ;)

Lori -

your quick wit never fails to amaze me  :o  I personally would have just been dumbfounded to have a chaplain walking into the room while I was in the shower  :-[

Jan 
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 07:46:45 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You guys are so funny.  I have a similar shower story but since it doesn't involve a hospital I'll save it for another time.  Lori, yours may top Anne Marie's since at least a doctor is prepared to see a naked body.  Someone from the chaplain's office is probably still having flashbacks.
M

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 07:57:47 pm »
Oh come on, Marci.

Where's your sense of adventure?  Go ahead, hijack our hijack of this thread - we all do it!

Tell us the shower story - hospital or not  :D

Jan

MAlegant

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 08:16:22 pm »
This happened the week before our wedding, we were in Florida with many friends and family having a "Florida wedding reception" before the actual wedding on the east coast.  We were staying in a hotel and I was just coming out of the shower but there was so much glare coming in from the patio window that I never saw the poor guy who had just delivered our room service.  My not-yet husband yelled at me to get back in the bathroom, which I did, but only after the room service guy got a really good show.  For the remainder of the weekend ours was the only room that got room service at any time of the day or night; the rest of the family couldn't figure out why!

;D

MAlegant

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 08:25:59 pm »
In keeping with the thread I will mention that at the time I had no scars to worry about.
M ;)

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:47 pm »
glad to see this thread!!!  totally happy to hear that my belly scar WILL EVENTUALLY flatten out and yes i will exercise patience.  right now it is looks like a long raised red line.  As for my head scar, i don't have to exercise patience anymore as it almost invisible and blended in with the rest of my skin.   ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

wendysig

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 08:48:06 pm »
Marci, Ann Marie and Lori I loved your shower stories.  I thought I'd add one of my own... On Sunday a mere two days after my surgery the excellent and wonderful Dr. Choe announced my incisions watertight (there were no external sutures, just surgical tape, apparently waterproof at that) and gave me permission not only to shower but also to wash my hair, much to my delight as you can imagine.  Just to avoid trouble, whicb turned out to be a huge mistake, I told my nurse, who in turn told the on-call doctor who turned me down flat.  Since I'd been planning on going home on Monday it didn't seem like a big deal.  When the physical therapist told me the next day that I should stay for PT for the rest of the week, I deciided to give myself permission to take a shower and somehow didn't get caught.  Later that day it became evident I wouldn't be going to Rehab for PT that day either so I took yet another shower and washed my hair too.  Finally made it to Rehab that night only to be told I was at risk for falling and would not be allowed to take a shower for the foreseeable future (this made me pretty unhappy).  I called Dr. Choe who prevailed upon the doctor in Rehab to allow me to shower at will, within reason.  I was probably the cleanest patient in that unit.  It was the best part of my Rehab experience.  Other than that they refused to let me walk without assistance even with a walker or cane, which mostly meant I was in my room for most of the 2  1/2 days I was there since there was almost never anyone who had time for me.  Rob came in and walked with me when he could but did not spend as much time at the hospital as I would have liked.  With everything going on there and at home he was as worn out as I was.  One time he fell asleep in my bed.  That really confused the oncoming nurse since I was out of the room when she came in to check on me and found him instead!!!

Always keep them laughing and guessing,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!