Author Topic: FAQ - Hair loss with radiosurgery - Dr Medberry  (Read 2489 times)

Mark

FAQ - Hair loss with radiosurgery - Dr Medberry
« on: December 21, 2005, 04:57:38 pm »
One question that I notice is asked by a number of folks considering radiosurgery is whether hair loss can occur and if it is temporary or permanent. In my conversations with people , it is something that can , but rarely does,occur and is always temporary. However, I thought this post from Dr. Medberry on the CPSG board addressed the question pretty thoroughly.

Mark

Dr Medberry

Hair ordinarily grows in a folllicle for a period of time, then the follicle goes into a resting (telogen) phase. After about 20-30 days, the hair falls out of the follicle and the follicle rests for a few months and then starts re-growing hair. This is the normal process that puts the 100 hairs on your hairbrush every day. It is constantly going on, but in a random fashion, so no one area looks bare. When radiation is given to the scalp, it causes the hair follicles in an area that receives sufficient dose to go into telogen phase all at once, rather than randomly. In 20-30 days the hair falls out and will start re-growing in weeks to months. With higher doses, there can be permanent damage to the follicle so that it never produces hair again. This would be unusual with the CK, but can occur in certain situations. AN is not one of those situations. I am unaware of any of any hair or scalp treatment that can significantly alter this phenomenon, although I have not seen data on whether minoxidil can make a difference. It works by shortening the telogen phase, although frankly the evidence for it being valuable is pretty miserable except in the research of the original manufacturer.

The ancient Egyptians used hippopotamus fat, but I find that to be difficult to come by these days, at least in USA. Rumor has it that the laurel wreath worn by Julius Caesar to cover up advancing baldness. I may start a movement ot hand out laurel wreaths to anyone who loses any hair from radiation treatment. In the meantime, you can be assured that hair loss from CK treatment of AN is unusual, is temporary, and likely to be extremely isolated.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org or cmedbery@coxinet.net

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001