Author Topic: The Upside of Facial Paralysis  (Read 7908 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
The Upside of Facial Paralysis
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:30:26 am »
Okay, I know I am stretching here, but I did come up with one positive thing about having a non-functional face!

Some of you may have had mom's who always told you to take smaller bites and to eat slower ...  well, turns out that having a mouth that doesn't work particularly well forces you to take smaller bites, hence eating slower ... and eating less!!!  So the upside here is that those of us who have to watch our weight (ahem) find it easier to consume less calories!  See - all good! ;D

Just thought I'd try to find something good about this - becasue the smile sure isn't looking poster-perfect these days ...  :-\

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: The Upside of Facial Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:33 am »
Debbi -

just wanted to say that it's wonderful and very refreshing that you can always look at the bright side of things.  Truly a God-given talent  :)

You definitely belong in that special club of very optimistic people along with Kaybo, Nancyann, Jeff - and many, many more.

Thanks for bringing your sunny disposition to the forum - I hope you stick around here for a very long time (with all your "issues" resolved, obviously)!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:45 am »
Deb~
I have found many positive things about the facial paralysis.  I can't think of them all right now, but I will put on my thinking cap while Addi & I are out running errands.  The biggest positive for me is that since I have no feeling, the surgeries and different procedures are a piece of cake (pain wise)as well as scratched corneas!!

Halloween is much quicker and easier since you don't have to spend as much time on your face...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:12:41 pm »
I went back to work teaching 3rd graders on Halloween.  No need for an elaborate costume.  lol
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:34:11 pm »
Remember when your mother would say "Stop making that face or it will stay that way!" Guess she was right! ;) ;) ;) ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:17:49 pm »
Debbi:

Your successful attempt to find a pony under a pile of horse dung is impressive.  Actually, you're right.  Eating less is one of the only realistic methods of losing weight, so your logic is sound, making facial paralysis almost, kind of, more-or-less positive.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:34:29 pm »
Gee, I think I'm onto something here! 

We've added halloween to the list, threats to scare the kids with, no-pain facial surgery ... 

I came up with another upside, too - it saves me money!   Yes, money.  :o  I no longer have to buy mascara, eye shadow or makeup remover.  AND, when I order a bowl of pasta in a restaurant, I get filled up by the time I have cut half of the penne into itty, bitty bite sized pieces, so I can take the remaining half home for lunch the next day ... thereby, you guessed it... saving money!!

And you all thought having a lazy face was just a bummer...   ;D

Debbi, trying to make sure the glass is at least half full...

2.4 cm Right Side AN

oHIo

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 02:43:47 pm »
It has come in handy for me also when disciplining my son.  You know when you tell kids to do something and they come back with something silly and laughing or smiling is not appropriate?  I just turn my head to the side where he cannot see my good side smiling.  On several occasions, he's made the comment that he can tell I didn't think his comment was funny and he apologized.  It's like getting a two for one special.   ;)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:28:13 pm by oHIo »

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 06:53:21 pm »
I was able to play a great practical joke on my hubby once - I can never keep a straight face so I just turned so my right side was to hime!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JulieW4

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:21:08 pm »
What a GREAT thread.  Even though I do not suffer from facial paraylsis, reading everyone's positive comments has definitely made my day.  Ya'll are TERRIFIC.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 02:23:54 pm »
And I thought of another one...  no wrinkles on the AN side!!!

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 03:34:17 pm »
Debbi,
I started out reading your thread out of curiosity. I'm glad that I did. Awesome!  ;)
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 03:36:06 pm »

Your successful attempt to find a pony under a pile of horse dung is impressive. 

Excellent quote, Jim.

I'm going to have to remember this one!  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

oHIo

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 04:57:50 pm »
And I thought of another one...  no wrinkles on the AN side!!!

Debbi

We could do commercials!  Show the two sides of our face and claim one side used the amazing XYZ wrinkle cream and the other didn't.  They wouldn't have to show our whole face, they could just do a close up of our forehead, the corner of our mouth, etc.  I hear Hollywood calling... ;D

LADavid

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 07:46:08 pm »
Debbi and all
This was one of those posts that definitely deserves long term attention.  Debbi there are two presidential candidates that could use your way of putting a positive spin on things.  And Kay, that was one of the funniest things I've read yet -- turning your straight-face to Dave.  This thread really cheered me up.  Thanks Debbi and team!

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments