Author Topic: Is Tinnitus Forever?  (Read 17942 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Re: Is Tinnitus Forever?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 02:46:53 pm »
Esperanza,

From what I've read here, on the internet, and have been told by my doctors, tinnitus can be a symptom of an AN.  If you read the posts here, it seems to be a common symptom.  Chime in someone. . . .I can relate to what you said about getting earache pain and a strange feeling in the face.  Seems to happen when the tinnitus is at its worst.  Most common response I have heard here about tinnitus. . . . . just accept the fact that you have to live with it.  Stinks!

Nancy 
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 10:35:30 pm »
Nancy -

tinnitus can be a symptom of an AN, but as I'm sure you already know having tinnitus doesn't necessarily mean you have an AN.

There are also AN patients who don't have tinnitus.  I fall into that category and I'm thankful I do.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Esperanza

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:36 am »
I am really pleased (and envious!) that you don't have tinnitus Jan, but I wonder why don't you have it and we do?? wish they could find out what it is that makes some peeps get it and some not...   
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Tamara

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 07:00:34 am »
I don't want to recommend AN surgery as a cure for tinnitus, but, oddball that I am, mine was greatly diminished or possibly gone after my surgery.  I'd had it for many, many years, and it had gotten worse as my hearing decreased.  After surgery, I also don't hear the buzzing noise that came with listening to anyone speak. 

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:43:21 am »
Esperanza -

I have no clue why I don't have tinnitus.

I didn't have it prior to my surgery and the doctors were uncertain if I'd get it post op. 

From what I've heard from others with tinnitus (AN patients and non-AN patients) it's hard to pinpoint just why it happens.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mar50

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 07:13:57 pm »
Funny, I was just telling my husband tonight that my acupuncurist asks me every time I see him how my tinnitus is - I believe he thinks he is going to "cure" it.   I had it before surgery, and have it (worse) since treatment, only on my AN side.  I find that having some background noise at all times (a fan blowing, usually) helps distract my mind. But as others have pointed out, I think you just learn to live with it.  And as much as I love acupuncture, that doesn't seem to be helping with this particular problem......

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 09:28:18 am »
Mar -

if your acupunturist does happen to come up with a cure, make sure you plaster that fact all over this forum.

Oh yes, and ask for a commission for all the grateful patients you will be sending his way  :)

Jan

marymomof3

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 06:01:27 pm »
I had tinnitus pre and post op.  I can usually ignore it.... but now that I'm writing about it, it's extremely distracting!
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

DebbieL

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 08:31:26 pm »
Hi Nancy,

Like so many others here in the AN world, I have had tinnitus forever.  I had it long before I was diagnosed 2 years ago.  I have just learned to live with it but I do notice that at night lately it really drives me nuts to the point I can't sleep.  I don't know if just having finished CK is the reason or not.  During the day when I'm busy I don't notice it as much.  My friends tell me I have too much energy as I'm always baking, cleaning, etc.  I tell them I have to keep busy or the noise in my ear drives me crazy.  They can't relate!  They have no idea what its like to have crickets 24/7 singing to you.  Hang in there!

Debbie

sgerrard

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 09:11:11 pm »
So Debbie, does this mean you are not experiencing post-CK fatigue, at least?  :)

I have the crickets too, though I am quite used to them now. Hopefully yours will settle down soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

DebbieL

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 11:06:41 pm »
Hi Steve,

I am having fatigue.  I can be in the middle of something and then be exhausted and need to take a nap.  How long does that last?  I have to go back to work in a week and am hoping I will have enough energy to get through the day with elementary school aged kids.  I'll probably have to take a nap on my lunch.

Debbie

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 10:18:32 am »
I can increase the sound of my tinnitus every time I scratch the left side of my spine between the scapulas!  What's up with that?!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

LADavid

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 11:39:47 am »
Hi Nancy

Yes as far as I know, it's forever.  I've had it for nearly 24 years in one ear -- and partially in the other since my surgery last December.

The only positive thing I have to say, as most others have said, you will get used to it.  I look at it as a part of me and accept it as the way I am.  Mine's a steam-kettle letting off steam in one ear and crickets and chimes in the other.  Sort of a weird orchestra in my head.  Actually I don't even notice it unless I'm talking about it like I am now.  Hopefully you will get to that point someday.

I do feel for you though.  When I first was cursed with it, I was miserable and would not accept that it's permanent.  But what makes it even more frustrating are those that  tell you that there are treatments for it and that you need to get it fixed.  Prepare yourself for that and don't carry a gun.  I suppose they mean well (even though they are insinuating that you are an idiot for not researching the issue like the wonderful they did) but I put them in the category with those that say -- at least you're alive.  I've often felt like saying to them -- "untill you are living inside my head, you are forbidden to speak. Ever."  I'm having a militant morning.

I wish you the best.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 12:48:22 pm »

I am having fatigue.  I can be in the middle of something and then be exhausted and need to take a nap.  How long does that last?

It varies (of course). Although I never had fatigue during the day, I do notice that at the end of the evening, say 10:30 pm, I go from wide awake to a "must - sleep - now" zombie state in a matter of minutes. I have to make sure that I brush my teeth before that happens, or it won't get done. Some have reported fatigue as an issue for months afterwards; I think shorter times are more common, though.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pablo

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 12:43:35 am »
My tinnitus sounds like the sea. I use it to fall asleep at nights. During the rest of the day I can barely notice it.
2.5 cm x 3.0 cm  right side
FSR  7/2006
Cabrini Medical Center, NYC