Author Topic: Shakin' all over  (Read 4958 times)

LADavid

Shakin' all over
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:59:49 pm »
A bit of shanking in LA.   A big quake welcomed Kathleen to LA.  The biggest one I've felt in years.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Shakin' all over
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:21:42 pm »
hmmmmmmm.... I thought it was just me walking down my office hallway!  ::)

(Stay safe David... it's the BoSox warning you all we are going to win tonight!) :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:39 pm »
David,

Like Phyl said : stay safe. I hope hospitals are built to withstand quakes in LA. I had my second AN surgery in LA a little bit over a year ago and my biggest fear was an earthquake, not facial paralysis. I am relieved none has happened to me! Whew!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:03:40 pm »
Hi Eve

Since the Northridge Quake about 14 years ago, most buildings have been built or retrofitted to withstand a serious earthquake.  The hospitals have all been designed with that in mind.  A quake that would have any serious impact on the buildings would be catastrophic -- one that would pretty much be it for Southern California.

I think my concern though would be a surgeons hand as opposed to the security of a building.  I sure wouldn't want any tumor removal device rattling around inside my head.

Fortunately for Kathleen tomorrow, these big ones are so rare that the chance of another one hitting tomorrow (odds-wise) is miniscule.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:44 pm »
David,

Happy to hear that you are fine.  My daughter saw the banner on the TV saying there was a big quake in California. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:47:56 pm »
Ditto.  I'm glad to hear that you are okay.  Good news is that big quakes are fewer and farther between than they used to be it seems.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:54:09 pm »
Best Wishes to my Colorado friend Kathleen.  I know your AN is in steady hands.  See ya when you get back to CO.  Lunch is on me!!!

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:03:45 pm »
David,

You helped reassure me about hospital buildings in California. I wish I would have known about this before my second surgery. My fear of earthquakes has been so irrational!

Kathleen, best of luck to you tomorrow. Hope you continue the trend of perfect outcomes!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:23:15 pm »
David -

Saw the story as it was breaking today on MSN.com and when I read it was in Southern California, I immediately thought of you.

After that I thought of the Jimmy Buffett song "Fruitcakes" - no, not because of you  :o  - because of the lyrics which in part go:

"I was out in california where I hear they have it all
They got riots, fires, mud slides
They’ve got sushi in the mall
Water bars, brontasaurs, chinese modern lust
Shake and bake life with the quake
The secret’s in the crust"

Sing it with me, Parrotheads! ;D

Anyway, my point is, I'm really glad to hear you're okay  :)

You knew there was a point in there somewhere, right?

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:25:01 pm »
A bit of shanking in LA.   A big quake welcomed Kathleen to LA.  The biggest one I've felt in years.

David,
How did you fare during the quake?  

Interestingly enough, Illinois had a quake this past spring! I woke up to the bed rumbling at about 4:45 am.  It seemed to go on for a couple of minutes.
It is really a strange sensation and I can't remember ever feeling a "quake" before.

That being said, when I was on Vancouver Island recently, I saw signs all over that displayed
"tsunami evacuation route". Something we don't see in the Midwest.  Now that would add another layer of anxiety.

I hope you were in a safe place when it happened.  

Kate
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:27:02 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:28:15 pm »
Hijacking here -

Kate -  wasn't that Illinois quake freaky?  I woke up to my bed shaking and I thought one of the kids was trying to get my attention because I was sleeping on my good ear; sometimes they actually have to shake me to wake me up.  After I figured out it wasn't one of my kids, I just thought I dreamed the whole thing.

The next morning my sister called me and asked if I'd felt the earthquake  :o  I never thought such a thing could happen in Illinois  8)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:31:53 pm »
Hijacking here -

Kate -  wasn't that Illinois quake freaky?  I woke up to my bed shaking and I thought one of the kids was trying to get my attention because I was sleeping on my good ear; sometimes they actually have to shake me to wake me up.  After I figured out it wasn't one of my kids, I just thought I dreamed the whole thing.

Jan,
Yes it was freaky...As you know, normally we are running into basements or bathrooms in Illinois (tornado warnings). So it was quite unusual to feel the "earth move under my feet"...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:34:09 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:03:02 pm »
Hey David isn't "Shakin' all over " a tune from the '60's?

All joking aside I'm happy you are okay and poor Kathleen must really have the jitters now?

Anne Marie 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

JulieW4

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:40:29 pm »
I hope Kathleen is okay and not rattled too much emotionally from the earthquake.

David, thanks for letting us know you are okay.

One of the reasons I love living in San Antonio, I don't have to worry about earthquakes or hurricanes, just an occasional tornado.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 06:54:01 am »
Hi David,
  I was living in LA (Palos Verdes) during the Northridge and Bigbear quakes.   After moving out of CA it took a while to unlearn my quake senses.  For a while, every time a building rumbled- like when an elevator moved nearby-- I was looking for doorways to hop to.  This was very amusing to people who had never lived in a quake zone.
  I was working in Santa Monica in the days after the Northridge quake, there were many closed building from quake damage, and lots of aftershocks.  The day after I was eating lunch in one of the few open restaurants when an aftershock happened, half the dinners freaked out and and ran screaming out into the street.  To say everyone was on edge would have been an understatement.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW